Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This book is essentially all about the difference between perceiving and judging.

I've always had a mindset that one should not rely too heavily on intuition without establishing a factual baseline; otherwise one is prone to fabricating their own reality. This book expands on the fact that many people are too trusting of perceptual information (sensing included), without truly rigorously analyzing it. It refers to many different interesting studies and explores many different aspects of the topic.

Scamper on down to Barnes and Noble and take a look.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I always had the view of sensing making more sense to come to logical conclusions, but you could argue that althou P without being tied down in that is factual and exists already, allows us to see things others cannot, and in turn turn them into facts later on down the line.......

but thanks for the interesting book find, gonna have to give it a go

·
Registered
121 Posts
The book looks very intriguing, but I'm sure there wouldn't be much written down that I already don't have knowledge about. My field of interests are neuroscience and psychology, and I know all to well people don't analyze "why" enough, or they jump to conclusions without any evidence whatsoever! If there is such a thing as the "untermensch" people guilty of these crimes would be prime suspects.

Still, whenever I get some spending money I might give it a shot, either that or hope its at my library (strapped for cash atm)

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,069 Posts
ditto.

(i'd offer one in exchange... but really, I don't think nearly as many people would want to explore the world of chinese slang and profanity... plus it has the usual failings of a language niche book)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you PM me this link sometime tomorrow so I can remember to go pick it up?
Protip: Put a crumpled up piece of paper in your pocket (even without any writing on it); eventually you'll get sick of it and remember why you put it there.

Alternate protip: Put something on the floor up against your door (even better, wedge a binder under it as a stopper); it will obstruct your ability to open the door, forcing you to move it, and again, remember why you put it there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts