Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always assumed I was an ESTP, but recently discovered ENFP and cannot believe how much this personality hits home.

Have been suffering with depression for a year, on and off (much better now!) because of a lack of career that excited me.

Feel baffled that I've believed I was an ESTP all along as I never considered I would be a different type.

Do these types often get confused? They feel so similar, yet different?

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've taken a few tests but I can't seem to answer them correctly to save my life. I got INFJ once!

I'm certain I'm either ESTP OR ENFP. And I've always hated these threads where people can't make out what they are and end up pretending to be a personality type for a few months.

Ack!

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got ESTP again.

But I get the feeling because I've thought of myself as an ESTP for so long, I am answering the question with how I think I am like.

I don't really know what I am actually like. I am too confused now.

I went back to the quiz and a few questions I changed because I wasn;t sure, maybe I am more like this etc. I got ESFP with secondary ENFP.

My INFJ partner thinks I am much more like an ENFP than ESTP but we both can't figure out which one I really am.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Check up your moods, we're known to behave like different types just according to our moods.

Reactions: Ntuitive and Eighty

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a pretty ENFP thing to say, for what it's worth. :wink:
Lol! :laughing:

Well, I read some more about Ne and Se. (I have to regularly research this stuff or I forget) At first I found it hard to understand Ne, but it is seriously beginning to dawn on me how much I relate and think with Ne. I can relate to Se too, but not quite as much as Ne - I think!

Even Fi is hugely insightful, I just seemed to drown that part of me out.

Also - Si as inferior; I have a TERRIBLE memory.

And now, I just found out Brandon Boyd is an ENFP. :blushed: I must be ENFP too :blushed:

One query, what exactly does tertiary mean in regards to the function. Your tertiary function means you use it how much exactly? Not a lot? Or am I confusing myself here?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
But how do I know what mood represents me as a person? I could say I was every personality then, depending on my mood!
First, I would suggest you to study all the cognitive functions. And then focus (this will take time)that which function do you mostly use when you are in a normal mood, if you use Se for most of times, then you might lean more towards an ESTP. And if not Se, but Ne, then you might lean more towards ENFP.
If anyone is who's close to you and knows about MBTI, and ask him/her to observe your behavior. And again, this will take time, but slowly you will understand.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First, I would suggest you to study all the cognitive functions. And then focus (this will take time)that which function do you mostly use when you are in a normal mood, if you use Se for most of times, then you might lean more towards an ESTP. And if not Se, but Ne, then you might lean more towards ENFP.
If anyone is who's close to you and knows about MBTI, and ask him/her to observe your behavior. And again, this will take time, but slowly you will understand.
Getting there already, thank you.

Me and my partner (INFJ) go through a lot of the functions together. I do know a lot of the functions, but found it harder to relate to myself specifically. Upon reflection however, it is more obvious. I think I definitely am a Ne dom rather than Se dom. My interpretation of the functions was somewhat obscured by how I always related to the ESTP traits, but never really understood the full process of how arrive to such traits.

http://www.infj.com/BeebeOnINFJs.htm

That has been very enlightening.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting there already, thank you.

Me and my partner (INFJ) go through a lot of the functions together. I do know a lot of the functions, but found it harder to relate them to myself specifically. Upon reflection however, it is more obvious. I think I definitely am a Ne dom rather than Se dom. My interpretation of the functions was somewhat obscured by how I always related to the ESTP traits, but never really understood the full process of how I arrived to such traits. I was a little ignorant in attempting to understand them which may have stemmed from being in more terrible moods because of depression that I was in.

This has been very enlightening:
INFJ Archetypes

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:confused: Oops

I'm really ballsing this thread up.

I posted a thread in the 'What's my personality?' area. Everyone thinks I am Se dom.

My partner is convinced I am Ne dom.

I was really getting in touch with the ENFP functions, now I am lost again.

Is there a possibility I could appear an ESTP, because of the frankness I responded to the questions (always acting how I feel may be appropriate), because of my desire to have new experiences etc?

I relate to Ne in the way that I see many possiblities from one idea, I create them in my head and sometimes I have to talk about it in incoherent blabber to come to a conclusion.

I relate to Se because of my need for being spontaneous and experiencing new things.

The trouble is every time I study a function of either ESTP or ENFP, I can in some ways relate to both. What I can't seem to distinguish is how much do I really relate and how much am I just making it relate.

I apologise for this wall of crap :rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I see you're also a type 3... which doesn't seem too common among ENFPs.. :0

If you do turn out to be ENFP, maybe this is why you're not such an obvious one?

·
Banned
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps! But does that mean if it's uncommon, I am probably not ENFP?

I'm having trouble with what is really 'me' and what's just me acting, wishful thinking etc.

As I've thought I was an ESTP for so long, has that made some effects? I have been 'down' for a little over a year now, and used learning about personality types to try and help me.

It's very irritating not knowing, but I am obsessed with trying to figure it out now.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My fiance's sister is ESTP and in some ways I see a lot of similarities... in many other ways, not so much.

Similarities- We're both a bit flighty and dreamy in personality, we like to talk about what is important to us, we are stubborn and hardheaded.

Differences- She is much more aware of her environment than I, so therefore she is a better cleaner and can stay somewhat organized. She cannot learn from what other people tell her while I can consider other people's viewpoints. I tend to be a lot more emotional and she strays away from affection. She doesn't support abstract education while I love theory in general. She only likes theory if it benefits her viewpoint. She is much harsher when she is unhappy with somebody else than I am.

While I like to look nice, I always notice she tries to follow specific fashions that are current. She can wear like three-four inch heels... I don't know how she does it o_o I can barely tolerate any heels and don't want to kill myself over fashion. I gathered that must be a Se thing, enjoying current fashions and creating them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts