Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking last night... how few people ask "why" someone does or owns such and such, and instead has some kind of reaction and mistakes it for truth, so for example, on my clothing shown up there? [Brighter colors than expected for my type].

If you count the "colorful" items, there are far fewer orange items than white, grey, blues, greens, browns.

Also, where did I buy them? Goodwill.

I chose according to size, fabric, and price--I got skirts on sale for when I attended my husband's church, and for warm days because of my auto-immune and other diseases that cause me to lose consciousness if I get too hot.

I buy used, almost exclusively, and when I buy new, it's always tanks and tees on sale, preferably end of a season, so I got some aqua tanks for $3 each, and I didn't pay for those myself:

A Christian man I know wrote to me, unexpectedly, and asked if I would accept financial help from him, "no strings attached."

Without hesitation, my gut indicated, "trust him, this" and I said, yes. (How did he know, when I had not told or even hinted to him, how bad off I was financially--I don't know; he didn't say, and I didn't pry.)

I had no idea how little or much he would send, and I gave him my home address. We've known each other for several years though we've never met.
He sent me enough money so I could buy needed clothing, and I made the money count.

I bought reference books. And other items, that he did not ask me to account for, but I shared it in a way he would know what I did with the money, that I had not taken his gift for granted nor wasted it.

Almost everything I bought was used and in good shape, so colors?

I didn't have a wide range of choices--what was available either used or heavily discounted, and in my size? That's what I bought.

Most people have jobs, credit, savings, parents to fall back on.

So it never occurs to them--far as I can tell, that some of us (not many on Internet forums, it seems) came up poor, and are now as poor as we were as kids, and also have diseases, medical bills, other reasons for the choices we make.

Add to that, this:

When I lived in [S.Western U.S.] I didn't have SADD; I wasn't as disabled; the heat was not nearly as severe in the summer, so I wore mostly midnight blue and other blues, and the colorful clothing, to the extent that I wore any?

It was for my husband; he enjoys it when I wear something other than dark blue or brown.

That would be my biggest frustration after "mean-spirited" for this [and other] Internet sites:

No genuine, automatic curiosity as to why someone makes his or her decisions in a way that seems counter to their MBTI type, or that person's idea of what the type would do or wear, et cetera.

I also bought the Goodwill clothing, most of the colorful items-- after I gained weight [medications increase and climate-related from a cross-country move] and therefore, after the clothing [from S.Western U.S.] no longer fit.

But aside from that reason, and the others, what is it about people buying into tight-ass descriptions and "exalting their wardrobe items and themselves" so that they feel superior if they dress in all black or black and grey, muted colors?

Black is depressing; easily gets covered in lint, and is otherwise so predictable for being seen as "stylish" to/for the insecure that I haven't worn it since I was depressed, especially back in my 20s.

Then I remember, "Oh, yeah, most people on here are in their 20s."

Still, a whole lot are older than that, and still crow about black and grey, muted.

And this popped into my mind just now, about white panties, why white?

They're the least expensive. I can get a six-pack for $8 at Walmart, don't remember the brand.

I'm careful with the little money that comes my way.

I do without a lot others take for granted so I can buy good used books.

I've gone hungry to buy a book, beginning when I was 17.

My ISTJ father called me "stupid" because I bought Women's Room by Marilyn French, a paperback, at 7/11 for $5.00.

In his shoes, I would have given him more than $5.00 and a hard time. i.e. I wouldn't have had to ask "why", but if I hadn't known why, I would have wanted to know why someone chose a book over food.

My father lacked the care or curiosity to wonder or ask why. It's common.

Aristocracy?

If I belong to that group by dint of curiosity, high standards, a love of learning, and the ability to think things through, make measured choices?

I'll take that label--one of the few that just may fit the person behind user ID [BranchMonkey, now].

1 - 1 of 1 Posts