Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you other ISTJs find yourself thinking "too" much?

Also, would you have to think too much to realize you are thinking too much? :proud:

My ESTP buddy has mentioned to me a few dozen times that, in his opinion, I think too much. I never gave it too much thought until recently (thinking too much about thinking too much? This concept is hilarious to me:crazy:).

I notice that it seems to think myself into a bad mood or a depressed mood often and I can't hit the off switch on that. I notice too many things going on and tend to focus more on the negative and the past than the positive and the future, I suppose. Do other ISTJs tend to find it difficult to come to a place where you are just content?

Caffeine tends to exacerbate this as well. Too much caffeine = Qadosh staring at a wall thinking.

Opinions? Thoughts? Experiences? Stories? Enlightenment? Wisdom? Jokes about thinking about thinking?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
The INTP I know says that I over-analyze everything, so you may be on to something here. However, I also think that maybe other types may misunderstand when they say we're over-analyzing, we're just really trying to fit all of the pieces into the puzzle so that we can put together the finished product, if you will.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I think:wink: Sela is correct. Other types perceive differently, so to them we may be over analyzing the situation, breaking it down into fine detail so that we can understand the whole. This is in relation to problem solving, as in understanding concepts, ideas, how things work, etc.

Thinking in terms of dwelling on negatives: Sure you can think yourself into a bad mood. I mean very dark and angry or depressed. That is why you are supposed to train yourself to think about more positive things. I have developed a habit: When I find myself dark/down/angry/depressed and I can't immediately lay my finger on it, I make myself stop everything and trace backwards through all of my thoughts and recent events until I discover what it was that triggered these negative feelings. Simply knowing what triggered them can provide relief, because I will then determine a course of action that allows me closure on whatever it was.

Example: Last night I found myself being quiet, feeling down, disappointed and depressed a bit. This was about 10 p.m. I stopped and traced back to what it was that caused this, and I went back to a phone call at 7 p.m. A phone call of "where are you--we're about to start this meeting that you agreed to attend." Man, I felt like a fool when I got that phone call--no way to make it, so I apologized. But three hours later, I was still feeling this nagging "somethings not right" feeling. Once I figured it out, I determined a course of action on how to apologize to all of those that were affected, and I felt much better.

Caffeine affects me so little. I can take No-Doze and go right to sleep. The only time it has affected me negatively was once another scout leader that never makes the coffee gave it a whirl. He used enough coffee for 60 cups in a 12 cup carafe. That one cup of coffee I had took about two hours to wear off.:crazy:

Don't sweat it--just train yourself to find out what you are thinking and why, and then get going with the positive train of thoughts.

HTH

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't sweat it--just train yourself to find out what you are thinking and why, and then get going with the positive train of thoughts.

HTH
Well, I do know what I am thinking of and why...

Switching gears a bit, Erik Erikson (some psychologist from years ago) had a theory in which life was divided up into "stages" and each stage had two different options. One is negative, one is positive.

Stage 6. Young adulthood: 18 to 35

Ego Development Outcome: Intimacy and Solidarity vs. Isolation

Basic Strengths: Affiliation and Love

In the initial stage of being an adult we seek one or more companions and love. As we try to find mutually satisfying relationships, primarily through marriage and friends, we generally also begin to start a family, though this age has been pushed back for many couples who today don't start their families until their late thirties. If negotiating this stage is successful, we can experience intimacy on a deep level.

If we're not successful, isolation and distance from others may occur. And when we don't find it easy to create satisfying relationships, our world can begin to shrink as, in defense, we can feel superior to others.

Our significant relationships are with marital partners and friends.

In this stage, the most important events are love relationships. Intimacy refers to one's ability to relate to another human being on a deep, personal level. An individual who has not developed a sense of identity usually will fear a committed relationship and may retreat into isolation. It is important to mention that having a sexual relationship does not indicate intimacy. People can be sexually intimate without being committed and open with another. True intimacy requires personal commitment. However, mutual satisfaction will increase the closeness of people in a true intimate relationship.

Examples:

Giving and sharing with an individual without asking what will be received in return.
I guess I'm struggling with my stage 6 a bit. I'm falling towards the isolation side and my insides do not agree with this. I have one friend that I see maybe once a month or so, but being platonic I suppose it doesn't really satisfy anything. Or it's possible that he's just not a friend in which I could connect with in some meaningful way instead of being someone to play against in video games.

It's rare for me to meet new people and even rarer that after meeting we meet ever again. Possibly a combination of me coming off as aloof and/or me not really being interested in the person enough to care if I see them again.

I don't really know to what kind of point I'm trying to come to here. Maybe I'm just venting by accident...

Sidenote: I think Niss is working on his Generativity in his Stage 7 :shocked:

Erik Erikson's stages recognize life as opportunities to grow

·
Registered
434 Posts
I went out to dinner with a bunch of people and I was just sitting there analyzing who knows what not talking to anyone wondering why everyone was so stimulated talking about things that were so stupid. I looked at the other end of the table and an ISTJ I know was just sitting there doing the exact same thing, analyzing who knows what, presumably going through the same thought process I was. I must say, my appreciation for ISTJ's grew tremendously last night. I don't know about the other Gaurdians, but the ISTJ's are at least as analytical as INTP's. That's pretty analytical. Though I am not sure what you are analyzing. I still think it's facts and sensational input or something like that. We're both analytical but you're on some wavelength I can't quite identify yet. My dad is ISTJ and he analyzes the mathematical formulas for trajectories of things he told me once. That's concrete yet requires tremendous concentration.

So guys (*ahem* niss63), you are indeed highly analytical. I apologize for ever doubting you. But you are obsessed with details and are unbelievably rigid. Bye.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts

Also, would you have to think too much to realize you are thinking too much? :proud:

My ESTP buddy has mentioned to me a few dozen times that, in his opinion, I think too much. I never gave it too much thought until recently (thinking too much about thinking too much? This concept is hilarious to me:crazy:).

I notice that it seems to think myself into a bad mood or a depressed mood often and I can't hit the off switch on that. I notice too many things going on and tend to focus more on the negative and the past than the positive and the future, I suppose. Do other ISTJs tend to find it difficult to come to a place where you are just content?

Caffeine tends to exacerbate this as well. Too much caffeine = Qadosh staring at a wall thinking.

Opinions? Thoughts? Experiences? Stories? Enlightenment? Wisdom? Jokes about thinking about thinking?
This is so funny, i was about to start this thread, i just wasn't sure what to say. I do so much thinking that i actually talk to my self on a regular basis, i also get habitual headaches which is probablt related. its actually starting to get to be a bit of a problem, sometimes i get so lost in my own thought i start imagining scenarios, one recently i was killing my enemes with an imaginary RPD (russian light machine gun), when i got to the street corner i found myself pointing an imaginary RPD at a man in a pickup truck who gave me a look like "what the fuck are you doing?" anyone have anytips to try and calm to mind? im worried it will also interfere with my concentration.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been practicing on backtracking my way through my thoughts and asking myself why I feel the way I do for a few months now. The way I would backtrack before is that I would do so, and either allow myself to be angry at feeling the way I do or try to push away the bad feeling.

Doing those things were of course, self-defeating, since I'd still feel the same at best, or even worse than before. Now I'm doing less of those things and I'd have to say, I feel better about myself and my current situation. Doing so is giving me clarity rather than "OH NO WAT DU I DU" feelings of doom and gloom.

Here's a specific example from about a week or so ago. I was in a neutral mood. On a whim, I decided to look up advice on, well, dealing with breakups. It's kind of funny. Intellectually, I know the advice is good advice. Emotionally, I was feeling pretty down, since it was hitting me that yes...I no longer had a relationship with someone who meant something to me. For a few minutes, I stopped reading and started going into my old habit of ruminating on my bad feelings. Then I tried something different. I dealt with my feelings there and then and figured out what to do. I made sure to close that browser window as I opened up one for Youtube and called a good friend of mine who told me to call him if I wanted to talk, even if it was midnight (which it was).

Before, I wouldn't have done something like that. I would have just gone to bed, wallowing in my sadness. Instead, I got to talk to a friend of mine and saw some rather interesting Korean pop music videos he was watching at the same time. I fell asleep at ease that night.

·
Banned
160 Posts
My xxFx mother always tells me that I think too much (as well as a few of my F friends). One time I was watching a TV show or a movie with an ENFP friend of mine and I was analyzing the plot and characters and she said "woah, you're really thinking way into this". Anyhow, I don't know if the examples would be considered thinking too much but I do think a lot. I rarely need a book or phone to keep me occupied when I have to wait somewhere alone because I am perfectly fine just sitting and thinking to myself. I also enjoy long car rides if I don't have to make conversation and I can just sit and think. I actually make most of my more abstract connections when thinking alone.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Nah, it's the opposite for me. I don't think enough. :/

In everyday settings I tend to take in situations as they seemingly are, and people's words literally for what they are; I don't spend additional time analyzing or thinking about them. Being simple-minded suits me, although occasionally I'd be startled to discover aspects of a situation that I wasn't aware of. I'd feel like an idiot then, but even that's not quite enough to push me to think too much about things.

I'm a lazy soul, academic training's more than enough workout for my frail protesting gray cells. When I'm away from my desk I'm perfectly happy to be just vegetating. Mental analysis requires too much energy.

Coffee only makes me mellow and happy, like a lot of other small things in my life.
When I get depressed I'd try vegetating a bit more, or turn in early. Nothing beats a good night's sleep when it comes to curing mental afflictions.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is so funny, i was about to start this thread, i just wasn't sure what to say. I do so much thinking that i actually talk to my self on a regular basis, i also get habitual headaches which is probablt related. its actually starting to get to be a bit of a problem, sometimes i get so lost in my own thought i start imagining scenarios, one recently i was killing my enemes with an imaginary RPD (russian light machine gun), when i got to the street corner i found myself pointing an imaginary RPD at a man in a pickup truck who gave me a look like "what the fuck are you doing?" anyone have anytips to try and calm to mind? im worried it will also interfere with my concentration.
That's pretty intense dude. I only talk to myself if I'm sure no one else is around, otherwise I just talk inside my head to work things out (usually I only do this when I'm thinking how to say something to someone in a conversation).

IIRC, you've said before that you have been diagnosed with some form of ADHD and are on medication for that. If this is correct, what medication are you on? If it's a stimulant similar to adderall or something, I would recommend not taking that when you're wanting your mind to be calm.

·
Registered
582 Posts
When I'm bored I try to reverse engineer math problems that I don't understand in my head. It's sorta funny because math bores me.

If someone told me I think too much, then I'd reply with, "You talk too much, does it matter?"

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If someone told me I think too much, then I'd reply with, "You talk too much, does it matter?"
Maybe the way I said it isn't able to be understood correctly. I was not concerned by his opinion that I think too much, I'm more concerned that I think myself into a bad mood.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
That's pretty intense dude. I only talk to myself if I'm sure no one else is around, otherwise I just talk inside my head to work things out (usually I only do this when I'm thinking how to say something to someone in a conversation).

IIRC, you've said before that you have been diagnosed with some form of ADHD and are on medication for that. If this is correct, what medication are you on? If it's a stimulant similar to adderall or something, I would recommend not taking that when you're wanting your mind to be calm.
no i wasn't diagnosed with anything. i talked to a doctor thinking i had adhd and he told me i was a genius, which i personally dont believe. but i do know that i think differently from other people. i later saw a psychologist who suggested i had post traumatic stress disorder, after a few sessions with a psychotherapist he disputed the idea of ptsd. he did decide that i was depressed and that the resulting anxiety was causing anger problems, he thinks there might also be something else wrong with me so our next session he's going to give me a screening test. i was perscribed some anti depressants to help me sleep but i dont take them.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Yeah, I think a lot too and yes, it occasionally gets to the point of depression.

It's during those times I meditate and concentrate on happier thoughts and force myself to calm down and maybe find something to do that takes my mind off such thoughts. A few minutes of relaxing music often does the trick.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I think a lot too and yes, it occasionally gets to the point of depression.

It's during those times I meditate and concentrate on happier thoughts and force myself to calm down and maybe find something to do that takes my mind off such thoughts. A few minutes of relaxing music often does the trick.
Ah, yes. The art of distraction. This is the strategy I have been implementing to combat this thinking "problem". I need an off switch for it though for when I need to do schoolwork. I couldn't get anything done schoolwork wise yesterday because the stuff on my mind was just distracting me/killing my motivation.

Distraction seems to work as a temporary fix while engaged in the distracting activity, but once I go back to doing something like studying it comes right back. A permanent change that fixes the issues weighing on my mind is what I'm thinking the true solution will be...but the process required to fix this is a difficult thing to begin.:mellow:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Ah, yes. The art of distraction. This is the strategy I have been implementing to combat this thinking "problem". I need an off switch for it though for when I need to do schoolwork. I couldn't get anything done schoolwork wise yesterday because the stuff on my mind was just distracting me/killing my motivation.

Distraction seems to work as a temporary fix while engaged in the distracting activity, but once I go back to doing something like studying it comes right back. A permanent change that fixes the issues weighing on my mind is what I'm thinking the true solution will be...but the process required to fix this is a difficult thing to begin.:mellow:
Before work interviews or class presentations I often have trouble sleeping the night before because you never know whats going to happen in an interview. I decide to grab a piece of paper and write down all of my thoughts and leave them behind for the time being on that paper then revisit them after the task at hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts