Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :happy:

So, I figured out I'm probably an INFP, which third function is Si. Most articles I've read this far says it will only fully develop later in life (I'm 18), but I 'use' it on a regular basis now already...?

I've got a quite good memory, even though I don't always remember everything. I have to value the moment, I guess, but if I do, I can describe it in every detail, from what I saw, to what was said, what I smell, and so on - even years later. My friends are always amazed when I tell them things they've long forgotten even if they've been there, too. I also have those Deja vu moments all the time, and they drive me crazy, tbh.

I've been thinking that I might be a ISxJ after all, since it would make sense then, but I'm absolutely sure I'm using neither Fe nor Te. Not that often at least. And I'm a Fi user. It seems like the only functions I'm sure of are Fi and Si, while Ne is also often kicking through.

Is it possible to develop a third function earlier or is this maybe just Fi(/me) striving for and valueing the past? Maybe this question is stupid or maybe I just didn't understand how Si works, but I hope someone here can help me 'cause it really confuses me...

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Having a good memory isn't the same as being an SJ. The things you describe as something you remember is sensory information, but the reason why you remember it might be because it simply had some emotional impact on you, reminds you of something, relates to an intuition you had, or well maybe you just have a good memory.

Actually many who have an excellent trivia memory are intuitors. The reason is simply that they often enjoy random facts more than sensors who tend to crave relevancy.

What you describe is to me closest to Se actually, so might you be an SP?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The third function often gets mistaken for the first function. The reason being that it's easier to see what's not fully a part of you than something that is and is second nature. It's so natural you ignore it and forget it's there you know? Your third function tends to stick out though as it takes some effort to use it. Even though this might not seem apparent to us, we tend to have a fixation on it which needs resolving before we can move onto integrating our other shadow functions.

I would say overall we use every function, all eight of them, but we just prefer certain ones and are developed in those whilst not so developed in others. So everything considered, you seem pretty INFP to me.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think all of the functions are there, however rudimentary they are earlier in life. I remember crying and feeling very hurt when others picked on me over my ethnicity in elementary school and junior high. That part is not Ti.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It depends, my supposedly inferior function (Si) is way more developed than the function that should be my tertiary (Fe). I blame this on emotional repression due to a long-lasting ongoing difficult family situation in my youth so the external factors do affect the order at least. But I'd still say one uses all their function so I consider your situation pretty normal.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firstly, thanks for all the answers. This forum is very quick! :)
@UnicornRainbowLove, Hmm, I crave random facts more, I think, but it's hard to say, since I don't really know how to describe what's going inside my head in such moments. But I don't really relate to the description of Se, but of course, I could be wrong about that. Si just makes more sense to me, however. When I first read the description of it, my first thought was: 'oh yeah, that happened to me there and there and there ... ' Se, on the other hand, ...
@ScarlettHayden, it really does make sense what you say. So this is what meant with developed? Not that we use it regulary, but that isn't an effort for us to use it? I don't doubt that we use all our functions even earlier in life, but the word develop confuses me. It actually feels like, it's 'easier' for me to use Si than Ne, sometimes at least. It really depends. But well, if it's right that the second function isn't fully developed until we're around 21, maybe mine Ne isn't yet and that's why it confuses me so much? idk.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
@ScarlettHayden, it really does make sense what you say. So this is what meant with developed? Not that we use it regulary, but that isn't an effort for us to use it? I don't doubt that we use all our functions even earlier in life, but the word develop confuses me. It actually feels like, it's 'easier' for me to use Si than Ne, sometimes at least. It really depends. But well, if it's right that the second function isn't fully developed until we're around 21, maybe mine Ne isn't yet and that's why it confuses me so much? idk.
You're an introvert so your preference is going to be for introverted functions. Theoretically you can use Ne more easily but you prefer to use Si instead, making it appear like Si is more developed than Ne as you are better versed in what you are used to.

So it's like, what you can use of Si you can use well in a type of focused manner, but Ne you can use better on a broad spectrum but prefer not to. Your Ne won't go very deep like Ne doms for example, but you will be able to use it in every area that you put your mind to with little effort. Your Si will be nowhere near an Si dom, you will have a tunnel vision with that function but as it's your preference you'll know that particular part inside out, matching an Si dom in that area.

And the dominant function gives you both breadth and depth. You can use it from every angle and unconsciously prefer to.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
My tertiary function is Ne, but tests indicate it's only slightly behind my secondary function Si
I've been working toward developing my inferior function, but gawd damn those feelings are kicking my ass & exhausting the hell out of me LOL. I hope that developing my inferior function starts getting easier, otherwise I'm gonna have to accept the delay between thinking/feeling & go back to being a smartass sensa.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the Myers-Briggs is not a pure science; it doesn't always work in a predictable way, especially in regards to personal development. MB can really only be used as a general guideline or sketch more than anything else (believe me, I wish I could use it like an infallible Bible -- but alas, life is too complicated). When or how your functions manifest vary depending on your maturity, environment, gender, type, etc.

For example, my third function, Ti, started manifesting at a relatively young age. By the time I was in middle school I was an erudite of all of the knowledge pools that I subscribed to, wanting to break everything down into its components and gain mastery over the information that interested me. If I was a fan of something (I was particularly prone to latching onto a band like Queen or Led Zeppelin), I was obsessed; I had to know everything. *Sigh* If I had only been able to direct that energy to something useful...

As a contrasting example, there's my boyfriend. He's an ENFP, so his third function is Te. He's in his mid-twenties, and I would say that he's just now really starting to use Te in his life. Organizing things, making plans and provisions, etc. He's used it for recreational purposes in the past (he likes video games and such that make use of his Te), but it's only now beginning to manifest and calm his rather spontaneous Ne/Fi pairing down.

So, in summary, I believe that it's different strokes for different folks. There's no set, linear path for function development.

Reactions: Force Majeure

·
Registered
6,053 Posts

So, I figured out I'm probably an INFP, which third function is Si. Most articles I've read this far says it will only fully develop later in life (I'm 18), but I 'use' it on a regular basis now already...?

I've got a quite good memory, even though I don't always remember everything. I have to value the moment, I guess, but if I do, I can describe it in every detail, from what I saw, to what was said, what I smell, and so on - even years later. My friends are always amazed when I tell them things they've long forgotten even if they've been there, too. I also have those Deja vu moments all the time, and they drive me crazy, tbh.

I've been thinking that I might be a ISxJ after all, since it would make sense then, but I'm absolutely sure I'm using neither Fe nor Te. Not that often at least. And I'm a Fi user. It seems like the only functions I'm sure of are Fi and Si, while Ne is also often kicking through.

Is it possible to develop a third function earlier or is this maybe just Fi(/me) striving for and valueing the past? Maybe this question is stupid or maybe I just didn't understand how Si works, but I hope someone here can help me 'cause it really confuses me...
There's an ISTJ member known as @niss, he's thought by many as Personality Cafe's resident expert concerning all matters Si.
You might respectfully ask him to provide you links regarding Si threads if he has a spare moment, otherwise internet search descriptions of introverted sensing.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

If you are an INFP , you're probably undertaking the Fi-Si loop. Happens pretty commonly in certain INFPs. :)

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I was just reading this: http://www.personalityhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/car-model.jpg 10 year old is the tertiary function

I don't find Si to be meaningful in my life, sure I am a Si preference so I do experience triggered memories with places and items and such but how to use it as a relief function like an ENFJ or ENTJ uses Se as relief function - I have no idea. One thing though, I think I have become very health conscious after 25, I try to eat unprocessed food, a balanced diet, I care about nutrition but it has also to the with my metabolism which used to crave junk food and was hooked on it and does not anymore. So I am not sure how I experience Si other than FiSi loops

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,927 Posts

I have Si last and I have a very good memory for facts, dates, and any loose knowledge.

I can tell you that you aren't Ne first. Your analysis seems far too organized.

People develop at their own rate. We all get hung up on the average, but nobody absolutely fits the "curve" on everything. Figuring out how to properly balance my Ne-Ti powers with my tertiary Fe, took me years.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

TL;DR (not like its actually long, but anyways *clears throat*)

Its funny that you say you might be ISXJ, because before I read you saying that, I was totally thinking "This persons Si is SO well developed."

Anyways that's all I really have to say, and I totally get that confusion on the order of functions; I think its pretty normal to feel that way honestly.

I will just add one thing when considering your type. I can actually totally see you as ISFJ. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but I think you very well could be an Fe user. A lot of people are sorta blinded and have a bias towards how a function works and they think "there is no way I have that function." But the thing is there are a lot of bad descriptions out there of CF and people get too attached to saying that they don't use X function based on some descriptions they have read. That is why I thanked @draculaoverlord's post (that was the farthest I got reading the thread before I had to comment) because we really actually use all the functions, its just that the tert, inferior and shadow functions are usually just used in immature/in-adept ways until much later in life. And I totally see your Si being used in a completely mature way. Like you are pleasantly surprising your friends with a fond memory and such, which would be the equivalent of Si-Fe.

Those are my thoughts anyways..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are an INFP , you're probably undertaking the Fi-Si loop. Happens pretty commonly in certain INFPs. :)
I've never heard of such loops, tbh. Thanks for telling me! :) I just googled it and it kinda sounds like what I do.
I didn't want to post the story of my life here but, you know, I wouldn't consider myself a very healthy person. I think I was 15 when I started to recall long gone moments inside my head over and over again. Seeing what once has been and no longer is. I kinda lost myself in it for a quite long time, since it seemed to be the only thing left and the only thing I could do to keep those times alive. Well, at least I thought I could. It was a quite tough time for me. Everything in my life had changed in just 3 years and I didn't even realize until I dared a look back. The moment I did, it was like falling inside a deep, black hole of memories.
It isn't like this anymore, though.
One of the reasons why I've been like that was that I've lost nearly everyone I used to know, due to change of school but also personality. I blamed myself for it, since I didn't do anything to keep them in my life. When I met them for the first time in three years again, it gave me some sense of closure to it and I could move on. But still, my good memory stayed, and I still associate everything I encounter with something I've seen before. I try not to 'cause I'm afraid of falling back to old habits, but well...
That's probably another reason why I started this thread in the first place. I thought maybe someone would come up with something that can happen with unhealthy INFPs that maybe explains this. Well, I can't be sure if it really is like this...

Yesterday a classmate of mine tested my class on our memory. First, she said 10 words we had to memorize. Then we had to solve some maths problems and after that we had to write down the words on a piece of paper. In the next round it was the same but with photos instead of words.
It was easier for me to recall the words she said out loud. I realized that I retrieved old memories to memorize those words and it was easier to do this when I could just imagine them on my own than actually seeing a photo I had to memorize.
I scored highest, by the way.

I can tell you that you aren't Ne first. Your analysis seems far too organized.
I would never consider Ne to be my dom. But why does it seem 'far too organized'? :)

I was just reading this: http://www.personalityhacker.com/wp-.../car-model.jpg 10 year old is the tertiary function
"The mirror opposite of the Co-Pilot process, and therefore a weakness for you." Might depends on the way you interpret 'weakness', but it seems kinda accurate. And it's a nice idea to show it that way :D

I will just add one thing when considering your type. I can actually totally see you as ISFJ. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but I think you very well could be an Fe user. A lot of people are sorta blinded and have a bias towards how a function works and they think "there is no way I have that function." But the thing is there are a lot of bad descriptions out there of CF and people get too attached to saying that they don't use X function based on some descriptions they have read. That is why I thanked @draculaoverlord's post (that was the farthest I got reading the thread before I had to comment) because we really actually use all the functions, its just that the tert, inferior and shadow functions are usually just used in immature/in-adept ways until much later in life. And I totally see your Si being used in a completely mature way. Like you are pleasantly surprising your friends with a fond memory and such, which would be the equivalent of Si-Fe.

Those are my thoughts anyways..
Well, I suppose the functions are a really complex topic and I probably have gone too far when I said that I absolutely don't use Te and Fe. Sometimes I tend to exaggerate a bit, haha. But Fe is (briefly, however) being concerned with the feelings and values of the people around you and make decisions based on that, right? If so, I can't really see me using it that often, tbh. Most of the time I'm rather oblivious of other peoples feelings, I think. I'm too busy being concerned with my own, which is Fi, isn't it?
And you know, they're amazed how I can remember things, but I can't see in what way that indicates that I'm using Fe. It annoys them very often, too, haha.

Reactions: Telepathis Goosus

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Well, I suppose the functions are a really complex topic and I probably have gone too far when I said that I absolutely don't use Te and Fe. Sometimes I tend to exaggerate a bit, haha. But Fe is (briefly, however) being concerned with the feelings and values of the people around you and make decisions based on that, right? If so, I can't really see me using it that often, tbh. Most of the time I'm rather oblivious of other peoples feelings, I think. I'm too busy being concerned with my own, which is Fi, isn't it?
And you know, they're amazed how I can remember things, but I can't see in what way that indicates that I'm using Fe. It annoys them very often, too, haha.
You know yourself better than I; I can only go by what is in front of me since I think I have only ever seen your post(s) in one other thread and I don't remember the context at all (I remember the avatar). I did say I was taking a stab in the dark for that reason. I was trying to use my subconscious to get a clearer picture of who you are and imagining what you were like and how you came across in real life. Often times the times when I actually try to use my intuition it is way off and when I am not thinking about it and just letting my subconscious do the work its scary what I can do with very little info. It seems to be the former in this case. I just have one piece of advice and that is don't get too caught up with using or not using a particular function -it can mess up the whole self typing thing a ton.

·
Host
20,927 Posts
I would never consider Ne to be my dom. But why does it seem 'far too organized'? :)
I should have said your self-analysis seems far too organized. Ne isn't so good at turning itself inward. Also, there's a sort of sequential "logic" to your words that a Ne dom would not instinctively use. Your analysis is conscious, step-by-step, and well thought out. Ne tends to be less conscious, makes "leaps of logic," and is not always as well organized. For Ne to truly shine, it needs a well-developed auxiliary function so it can be properly expressed in a way that others can more easily comprehend. Ne can get trapped in a "loop" where it keeps coming up with new ideas but never fully expresses them in any meaningful way. I didn't see any of that in your writing.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I should have said your self-analysis seems far too organized. Ne isn't so good at turning itself inward. Also, there's a sort of sequential "logic" to your words that a Ne dom would not instinctively use. Your analysis is conscious, step-by-step, and well thought out. Ne tends to be less conscious, makes "leaps of logic," and is not always as well organized. For Ne to truly shine, it needs a well-developed auxiliary function so it can be properly expressed in a way that others can more easily comprehend. Ne can get trapped in a "loop" where it keeps coming up with new ideas but never fully expresses them in any meaningful way. I didn't see any of that in your writing.
Okay I wasn't following this but to add on yes Ne on its own may be like how you refer it and which I can also relate as it is naturally a very -seemingly- disorganized but surely random function however there is a difference of -intention- with Ne doms and Ne aux indeed. We tend to use our Ne more consciously and deliberately.

·
Host
20,927 Posts
Okay I wasn't following this but to add on yes Ne on its own may be like how you refer it and which I can also relate as it is naturally a very -seemingly- disorganized but surely random function however there is a difference of -intention- with Ne doms and Ne aux indeed. We tend to use our Ne more consciously and deliberately.

In my estimation, Ne is able to produce results. What makes it disorganized is that the results are not predictable (perhaps not as reliable?) as the sensing functions are. I think maybe Ne is more concerned with understanding generalities (the "big picture") rather than more specific details. That's probably what makes Ne users so useful at brainstorming new concepts, and less so at following through with their development.

It seems to me that the NP types are generally more adept at accepting cognitive dissonance than the SJ types. I tend to be far more tolerant of considering 2 (or more) seemingly contradictory ideas at the same time and being able to function, whereas I have known SJs who have to stop and resolve the perceived conflict before they can continue. I suppose that SPs and NJs would fall somewhere in between these two extremes.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

In my estimation, Ne is able to produce results. What makes it disorganized is that the results are not predictable (perhaps not as reliable?) as the sensing functions are. I think maybe Ne is more concerned with understanding generalities (the "big picture") rather than more specific details. That's probably what makes Ne users so useful at brainstorming new concepts, and less so at following through with their development.

It seems to me that the NP types are generally more adept at accepting cognitive dissonance than the SJ types. I tend to be far more tolerant of considering 2 (or more) seemingly contradictory ideas at the same time and being able to function, whereas I have known SJs who have to stop and resolve the perceived conflict before they can continue. I suppose that SPs and NJs would fall somewhere in between these two extremes.
Well, someone who tries to find out what type he/she actually is can't really accept cognitive dissonance when he/she doesn't even know what functions cause the dissonance, right?
I agree with everything else you wrote, though. Seeing possibilities and expecting several outcomes because of that is like the essence of Ne.

btw, in another thread someone actually told me there was a lot of Ne in my writing. It's very interesting how much impressions on something like that can differ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts