Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Where do you get your energy from" I can not relate to terms of energy gaining and draining. I have never been tired from interacting and I have never gained energy or renewal after a period of retreating from interaction.

Social interaction makes me desire more or less based on each interaction. I relate to extroversion in the sense of a body in motion stays in motion. When I retreat I hibernate and do not retrieve energy, inspiration or renewal to face the world. However, I have always been quiet in first meeting and am not a outgoing personality. The only function I can relate to with confidence is introverted feeling. I guess lack of sociality is introversion by default but that could be dysfunction and not how it is being defined in the terms of a energy source.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If you're under the impression that introversion and extraversion are essentially about energy gaining and draining, you've been misled.

In case you'd be interested in a somewhat longish introduction to E/I, you can find one here.

And if you want to read the descriptions of the five MBTI E/I facets (from the Step II Manual), you can find those in this post.

·
Banned
40 Posts
The energetic introvert, well I do relate to this one. I'm not someone who speaks to everyone I meet, and I'm not into parties, but not because I get "drained", I simply get bored quite quickly on most parties, causing me to leave early. However give me people that share some interests or who tell fascinating stories, and I stay on social gatherings for hours. Also, most extroverts also tend to stay to their friends at first, they're just a bit quicker to open up to others. If you're fine with ambiversion, then there's no need to force yourself towards either E or I.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,383 Posts
You have to study cognitive theory if you really want to know wether you're E/I.

The internet presents over-simplified and flaky description of MBTI because they just want clicks and likes. So, like ''Do you prefer parties or staying in and reading a book, y'all?''. Because you know it's impossible to like both, no matter the circumstances or mood, extroverts will ALWAYS prefer parties...The end result being people think it's cool, because they somewhat relate but then just chalk this up and some sort of spin on Astrology or left confused between two types because those said sites don't delve any deeper. You clicked, so their job is done.

Cognitive theory will pin point with accuracy what you actually are provided you understand it properly and have good sense of self-awareness (It's definitely not a perfect system as some function descriptions have tainted biases and tones to them). And even then, don't focus on the first two functions. Most people have great access to both and feel like they might flip flop between them. Extroverts are usually more vulnerable to this. An ENTJ for instance will relate heavily to Ni, and might assume they are an INTJ somewhat on steroids. Again, because introverted functions are usually painted in a more romantic fashion.

The tertiary and inferior function are usually the ones that'll give you a clear conclusion. For instance, ExTPs have tert Fe, which means they are typically very reactive to social and emotional cues from other people and can react quickly to them. It's still a lower function though so it's very possible that they react by being insensitive jerks but the point is, they react quickly. No such luck for INxPs though. They are usually emotionally and socially aloof or stunted most of the time, only expressing their emotions when backed up into a corner at which point it might come off as very brash or awkward. They will usually, actively try to avoid any kind of situation where Fe needs to shine, whereas ExTPs are usually comfortable with it, sometimes even get off on it. On the flip side however, you'll see that IxTPs are typically more well-read, their analysis are more thought out and they are usually more disciplined and focused than their ExTPs counterpart due to better access and to Si/Ni.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
(same poster) I did the tests but am unsatisfied and still unsure. I relate to all the introverted functions. Fi the most and Ti the weakest. On second reading they both have commonalities as introverted functions and I could see two people arriving at same conclusion through different processing.

The information overload and the amount of questionnaires are overwhelming , I will start a type me thread in the type my personality section, could the posters here comment on my thread? or post a questionnaire on here for me in this thread and I can answer.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,662 Posts
"Where do you get your energy from" I can not relate to terms of energy gaining and draining. I have never been tired from interacting and I have never gained energy or renewal after a period of retreating from interaction.

Social interaction makes me desire more or less based on each interaction. I relate to extroversion in the sense of a body in motion stays in motion. When I retreat I hibernate and do not retrieve energy, inspiration or renewal to face the world. However, I have always been quiet in first meeting and am not a outgoing personality. The only function I can relate to with confidence is introverted feeling. I guess lack of sociality is introversion by default but that could be dysfunction and not how it is being defined in the terms of a energy source.
Welcome to the club :)

I'm in a similar situation. I can tell that I get energy from interacting with people, but yes it depends on the quality of the interaction. But other than that I get energy from certain interactions, but I don't really seek to be energised, so I spend more time alone. The old classic question book vs party, I'll take the book, but if you were to say book vs sports event, I'm going for the sports event. I want to be with the loudest ultras in the stands, that's where I feel at home, shouting and chanting the entire time. Even an ISFP friend of mine noticed that I have that fire in me to stay with the ultras during matches. But take me to a club with loud music, and after 1 hour, I want home. The chaos, the fact that I don't understand what others are saying and can't just talk to people is annoying and extremely boring. When meeting people, I'm usually quiet, but I can't stand those awkward silence moments and I feel the need to say something to stop them. Even when I'm alone I need to have some music or TV, something in the background and I don't like complete silences. When I retreat from the world, it's a matter of me being annoyed that the world is imposing on my time and I'm not free to do whatever I want to do, more than a matter of energy.

So... what am I introvert or extrovert? I don't identify fully with either INTJ or ENTJ. I tend to have more in common with ENTJ (hence me marking myself as an ENTJ), but if there was an ANTJ (A for ambivert) type, now THAT would be my type.

·
Banned
262 Posts
The ENTJ are certainly the quietest extraverted. It's not related to the ambiversion but to (Ni) and (Fi) functions. Moreover (Te) is less profound than (Ti). So it generates less discussion. (Te) is essentialy critical and more result oriented. And (Ni) is the secret world... This theory is corroborated by my own observations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts