Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you drink alcohol? Do you drink for social reasons, or do you drink more than you are willing to admit? Do you drink to escape? Do you go to bars a lot, even alone?

INFPs are known to be pretty depressive, and stay depressed. I would think alcohol would be the downfall of me if I start to drink socially. :unsure:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am drinking a lot more than usual because of relationship troubles. I prefer to drink at home cause I don't have to worry about making a fool of myself, but then there's often no cap on the amount. Still, I intend to stop all of this when I get round to the next lot of healthy eating and fasting; will just be drinking water then.

(One funny incident in a previous job: we travelled to an important meeting being hosted by another company. Hit the town the night before, and had no evening meal. Next morning, everyone else could handle it except for me. The water at the meeting was fizzy (omg) but I was SO thirsty... I had to run out of the meeting twice, and unfortunately the toilets were at the far side of the building. First time I threw up down the back of someone's chair while running, second time I only just made it out the meeting room, picked up a bin and slid down the wall whilst throwing up in it. I was asked to leave at that point and told never to apply for a job with them. Then had to wander around town for the rest of the day until the meeting was over and we could all travel home)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i never drink. never at all. i've had a handful of sips of alcohol throughout my life, and the only time i actually liked it was the one time i tried holy wine :tongue: how ironic...

i doubt i'd really start. there are so many drinks out there that taste so neat which *wont* screw you up like alcohol will.

as far as depression and all that goes... i prefer to experience it vividly, with a sober mind, i suppose. :dry:

i will say this, though - whenever i enter a liquor store, i want to buy loads of the stuff. i *love* the bottles. they put a lot of effort into making some really spiffily-designed bottles... i kind of want to start an alcohol collection just because of that. :frustrating:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I only drink socially. I would never drink alone. Being buzzed really helps me to feel more comfortable in social situations, but I feel extremely guilty for days after if I get truly drunk. I can do stuff that isn't even really embarrassing, but I still get mad at myself for doing it. I also do it at family functions to fit in to be honest.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm sort of like Somniorum. I have tried drinking a few times.. but for me.. I couldn't really stand the taste. Perhaps if I tried holy wine.. who knows! :shocked:
For personal reasons.. and because alcoholism/drug abuse runs in my family.. I prefer to be completely sober regardless of my current mood or emotions.
This thread made me contemplate this a little bit.. but even if I knew I was going to die in three days.. I still would not want to get drunk or stoned. Perhaps I'm really missing something.. Perhaps my mind will never be as expanded as it could be.. but I don't think I regret that at this point.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I prefer weed by far. I don't mind drinking, but I don't like the side effects all that much and I like being more functional and aware. I typically just drink at social gatherings, and almost never drink by myself at my house. For me to get drunk takes way too much effort compared to 1 or 2 puffs anyway. I really don't care for beer and I can't get drunk off it, so it is either wine or hard liquor if I have my choice.

Lately though, I've just not really cared to do either all that much. I used to not be able to wait to escape with either one, but now I have nothing to escape.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I only drink socially. I would never drink alone. Being buzzed really helps me to feel more comfortable in social situations, but I feel extremely guilty for days after if I get truly drunk. I can do stuff that isn't even really embarrassing, but I still get mad at myself for doing it. I also do it at family functions to fit in to be honest.
Good call. The family functions thing makes a whole lot of sense. I don't know why I never thought of doing that! Trying to connect with them sober seems to just require a lot more effort that seems more wasted than successful. Honestly, I think I'll try that next time. xD

Your reasons for drinking are perfect; not embarrassing at all. A little alcohol here and there is good for ya, too. I love my screwdrivers and Bahama Mamas. =)

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
How many of you drink alcohol?
I do. I like the taste & the feeling.

Do you drink for social reasons, or do you drink more than you are willing to admit?
I drink socially sometimes, but it's not to loosen up (although I probably do; I am a happy "drunk"). It's the same as enjoying food with people, IMO. It's an experience. I don't have a problem with drinking alone either, but then it's usually with food; more of a taste thing.

I don't have a problem admitting how much I drink. I almost never drink more than 2 drinks at a time, and lately I drink maybe once or twice a month max (usually a glass of wine or a beer w/food). I'd probably drink MORE if I had money, haha. I don't think there's anything wrong a glass of wine a few nights a week or whatever.

Do you drink to escape?
Not exactly. I do like the buzzed feeling, but it's not with the intent to escape. I have had a drink when a bit stressed to calm the nerves (NOT gotten drunk though). I suppose that is a way of managing emotions with alcohol, but it's not a habit.

Do you go to bars a lot, even alone?
No & no. Not my scene.

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy drinking, I love the taste. There are times that I drink to take the edge off of a bad day but I find that I drink mostly to make other people bearable :tongue:. Seriously though, I really do like the taste and it’s cathartic after a long day. Or any time of day really, alone or in a crowd, breakfast lunch and dinner, or just at night on days I have to work. Not too fond of beer though

Cheers babe

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't drink. I remember when I was 13 at my grandmothers for a BBQ. I was curious about drinking, and that's when I asked my father if I could have a malt cooler, and he said fine. I opened it up, drank it, and immediately I was able to taste the taste of alcohol. I hated the taste. I remember slouching on the couch a little as a result, but could have been just me relaxing. Since that day I haven't bothered drinking. I will say that now I'll know when something is spiked.

Also, no, I've never been to a bar, nor have I any thought of going there, period.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
I don't drink alcohol. It disagrees w/the lining of my stomach.

I don't smoke weed. It makes me cough.

I don't do other drugs but I do read about other's trips with DMT. Fascinating stuff.

·
Registered
869 Posts
How many of you drink alcohol? Do you drink for social reasons, or do you drink more than you are willing to admit? Do you drink to escape? Do you go to bars a lot, even alone?

INFPs are known to be pretty depressive, and stay depressed. I would think alcohol would be the downfall of me if I start to drink socially. :unsure:
I drink occasionally, although not often. I drink strictly for social reasons, I really don't like drinking at home, let alone on my own. Women my age and in my position seem to find completely acceptable to get home at night and open a bottle of wine to "unwind" and end up piling on the alcohol units on a weekly basis. It wouldn't work for me, I'd much rather have a bit of chocolate to be honest.

But I do drink socially, it's just tat I don't go out that often. If I am in a restaurant I am going to order wine because I actually enjoy the flavour, how it compliments food, the body etc. I am talking the occasional really expensive bottle of wine, not plonk!. In the summer I like going to pubs and sitting with half a pint of Guiness (this is a type of Irish beer) or Pimm's (this is mixed with lemonade and served in a jar with cut strawberries, cucumber, and other fruit, delicious).

In social occasions alcohol relaxes me and makes me more confident. But nowadays I don't think that overdoing it is such a good idea. Last time I went out with a couple of "mates" I ended up drinking too much and saying things I shouldn't have said. I dont think that opening up to people is a very good idea when you are not sure if they really like you or how they are going to use the info, and these women were total gossips, so I regret saying things when I got pissed and a bit "loosen up"

When I was a teenager I got into considerable trouble for drinking and this is what makes me so cautious these days. When I was young I was completely angst ridden and had this absolutely massive void in me I couldn't fill with anything, a need for love and bonding that made me do really stupid things like being promiscuous and getting too drunk. I grew up in a european country where binge drinking was frowned upon but tolerated (you could go into a club and get served alcohol at 14 and younger) and I was a big mess. I have done really really really stupid things drunk that I am even ashamed to mention. Terrible things suddenly feel like a really good idea after sharing a bottle of champagne and I am scared of myself when the alcohol makes the boundaries blur..

Plus, if you think that being hungover sucks in your 20's wait until your 30's..the body doesn't just bounce back anymore lol..it tells you off the next morning.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like to drink when I'm with friends or to entertain internet friends XD. I think I've only drank once alone.. I felt quite sad that night or something.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well, social drinking is really all I do, but even with that I think you have to be careful.

I know the first time I drank (too much) it got kind of nasty emotionally. I was also fifteen, immature and angry at my friend. If you learn how to keep it light (emotionally and blood alcohol level), then you'll be fine. I don't know about other INFP's but I'm the "mom", even at my drunkest of moments and can snap out of it and be serious very quickly. I always know what I'm doing, it just tends to make me silly and more comfortable. I will say, though, that some people never learn how to drink responsibly and I would hate to be the people I've had to take care of. There is a certain level of dignity that I'd like to keep, I guess.

If you're worried about it, maybe you should just stay away from it in general. If you associate drinking with having fun, I think you'll just be a social drinker and totally fine but if you associate it with easing your pain, you may be on the road to alcoholism. It really all depends on your own, personal will power. I feel depressed at times but I've never flown of the handle with anything other than maybe a few tears and actually telling people about my feelings. I'm just too rational, even at my most emotional moments. If you're the kind of person to do something drastic when emotional, then no, alcohol is not your friend.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Usually I drink for social events, on my lonesome, and so on. Usually only once a week and sometime less.

Don't drink these days though, don't attend any social events (parties bore me, going out bores me, no concert I wanna see). In addition to that I'm working out a lot more than usual, and the alcohol would slow down my progress.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I haven't in months. The last time was when I was still with my ex. I got buzzed, but I made sure not to drink enough to have a hangover. I wasn't even fully aware then of why I was doing it, but now it's clear to me that relationship wasn't right and it was taking its toll. It was the first time I ever actually really enjoyed the effects of alcohol. It made my blues music sound REALLY FUCKING GOOD. Like, if I could've fucked Sue Foley and Bo Diddly at that time, I would've.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts