Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. I've reached a point in my life where I find joy in nothing I used to do and generally wallow in misery because I have nothing to do. None of the things I used to do copious amounts of entertain or even appeal to me, anymore. I can't concentrate to read a book, I lack the motivation to write poetry, my fibromyalgia keeps me from martial arts, I've never been an artist, internet role playing is no longer enjoyable, video games bore me, even my age-old favorite leaves a bad taste in my mouth - flirting with random people (mostly women) - I literally enjoy nothing. Except trolling the shit out of people. That doesn't get old. But you can only grab your best friends junk to see two chicks make out so many times before it gets weird. I just really want to know what you guys do to keep your mind off things and hopefully find something new to do. My best bro pretty much ordered me to get a hobby. Says I'm letting things bother me too much. It's a mixture of my INFP-neurosis and personal depression keeping me down, but I'm a bit more introverted than most. I generally keep to myself and don't post often. So, I hope to get a response or two, if any.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Totally relatable. I've been depressed since I was a kid (probably about 16 years now) and things have been especially rough for about a decade, but it's only been within the last four or so years that I've noticed that almost nothing brings me any enjoyment anymore. I attribute that to the fact that in the earlier years of my depression, my abilities to focus and concentrate were still more or less intact and I had at least enough motivation to still engage in things that brought me genuine enjoyment. Now those skills (focus, concentration, motivation, etc.) are finally so shot that I just can't bother to do much of anything, knowing my ability to derive pleasure and/or fulfillment from anything -- even things I was once passionate about -- is pretty much non-existent. If I can't get anything out of doing the things I once enjoyed, everything seems like too much effort to bother with. Often, trying to do stuff will lead to me feeling even worse -- I'll get annoyed with myself for being a former bookworm who now struggles to get through a dozen pages, or for not being able to keep my mind on a film for merely an hour or two.

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you... but I can fully empathise. :( About a month ago, I re-started psychotherapy with someone new... so I guess all I can do at the moment is see where that leads me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think choosing in an interest can be pretty difficult, it really depends what you favor. I enjoy both playing and listening music very much, and I like painting too, and appreciating arts. I like travelling most, but it always needs time and money. The process that I discovered my interests were random. I just felt like I might be interested so why not give it a try.

Maybe you can tell yourself try to learn something new every day or every other day. It might give you some inspiration and keep you motivated. Though I could never do it as my work is too busy, I wish someone could!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Have you tried taking a walk? I'm feeling too lazy and unmotivated to do anything too, except for visiting PerC. I think taking walks might help change that; to help clear my head, feel more energized, developing Si a little. See if it works for you.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Have you tried taking a walk? I'm feeling too lazy and unmotivated to do anything too, except for visiting PerC. I think taking walks might help change that; to help clear my head, feel more energized, developing Si a little. See if it works for you.
Many revolutionary ideas have come from walking.

Fishing is another thing I'd like to do. As an urbanite, I'm not the most deft at the great outdoors, but I can appreciate the feeling of learning to live off the land.

It's just YOU and the FISH.

Hemingway WHO?

·
Banned
23 Posts
Answer: Ukulele. It's way easier than a guitar, much happier instrument (turns depression upside its head), it's addictive, and it can be shared with others. The trick is getting over the "I suck" stage. The key is practicing at least 15 minutes every day (or even 5 if that's all the time you have, just don't skip a day). Eventually you start enjoying it, it becomes addictive, and when you're Ne kicks in it brings an INFP back to center. Take it out to public and your bound to get requests from people (ie. girls), "Can you play that 'Jason Mraz' song?...how about 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow?'" You'll notice their entranced gaze as you play--you're the only thing that matters to them at that moment. If you can sing decently, you've probably just landed yourself a date or two.

Of course, there's always stamp collecting.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Maybe take up a musical instument. Leo Kottke once said something like: "Taking up guitar is like chewing nails. After awhile you can't stop & you're stuck for life." Yeah, 39 years and I can't stop. Electric drums are fun too, I want a set after trying them once. Another possibilty: Motorcycling. I'd go nuts without mine. Amateur astronomy; You can get a good telescope for a few hundreds bucks & watch the skys at night. Used to do that for years with a $99 cheapie 'scope. Cool to see Saturn's rings, the moon, planets & their moons & the surface of our moon. And; radio controlled things; planes, helicoptors, cars, boats, etc. Lots of fun. Bicycling too. And I'll mention golf. I can't stand golf honestly but I know people who love it & golf every weekend. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Absence of pleasure is a symptom. A new hobby fixes the symptom and not the cause. My theory on the cause is too much Certainty (one of the 6 Critical Needs - Certainty, Uncertainty, Significance, Connection, Growth, Contribution). When you feel that your life is going to be the same next year as it does today, it saps all the fun out of life.

For me I had to change the pattern of my life. All our externals (activities, relationships, things) is stuff we carry with us in our journey of life. Too much stuff and life gets heavy and tiring. So I got rid of all externals that wasn't active in my life (stuff I didn't use, activities that were from obligation to others). I went through a massive simplification phase. After that my life just felt lighter.

Then I tried to not fill up my time with distractions. Eventually, opportunities for new activities presented themselves. A friend mentioned an open mic poetry night that she liked. I tried it and loved it. Now I go twice a month. But something as small as that has made me refocus on my writing. It's much more interesting now that I'm writing stuff that I'll be reading in a few weeks. My wife said she wanted to learn rock climbing so now my wife, kids and I climb every week now.

But I keep it low key and refuse to fill up my life with externals again. Now that I don't have a zillion stuff distracting me, I focus on making sure that the stuff I do now is something that's meaningful that I enjoy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Helping others who are less fortunate can bring me out of a slump pretty quickly. It also inspires me to do more. Of course, getting out there... taking that effort to find a cause to help, or a person, or an event... well it takes a first step. It's a step that many people don't want to take because they have no desire to see that side or feel for someone. It's challenging. It's worth it though. Helping others will always get your mind off yourself. Selflessness > selfishness.

·
Banned
358 Posts
I personally go through phases. I'll usually be into video games for a few months, usually during the summer, then I get bored and spend my time playing card games like Magic for a few months. Then I get bored of that and video games seem exciting again for a few months.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If there's anything you've wanted to do, you can try doing it. Like, what's made me feel better about myself is making a goodreads account and reading through a pile of books I've been collecting for months but never read. It's weird how that's helped me out, it's made me feel like I have more control over my life. So if there's something you've been wanting to do, but for some reason have prevented yourself from doing, it can help you by finally accomplishing it. Maybe making it a hobby to try something new each day? You might discover a hobby that way.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Helping others who are less fortunate can bring me out of a slump pretty quickly. It also inspires me to do more. Of course, getting out there... taking that effort to find a cause to help, or a person, or an event... well it takes a first step. It's a step that many people don't want to take because they have no desire to see that side or feel for someone. It's challenging. It's worth it though. Helping others will always get your mind off yourself. Selflessness > selfishness.
I suggest a version of that, involving interacting with and learning from people who have similar health issues. Google, son.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can relate. I've given up on hobbies too. Never really find anything I could stick to (except psychological stuff which leads to self-analysis which probably isnt all that healthy either). But I know lots of P's who cant really stick to anything and we are maybe kind of built that way.
I've mentioned this things a couple of times already but I think that it could really take you out of your lethargy a little and expand your horizon. It could be more of an experiment than anything else. It would be something of this sort:

Try Something New - New Year Revolution

:) there are different challenges

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel the same way you do. I've read all the comments and I'll try what I do. Many had some good points. May I suggest writing fiction? I'm not exactly an artist either but I'm trying to take it up just for the sake of getting my juices flowing. Try it. You might like it. No one has to see your work if you don't want them to. It's kind of fun and it feels different than writing. I know. ) sorry if the comment is a little late.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm now going through a similar phase... I picked up tatting to sort of distract my mind and get myself away from the depressive mood.
I find that learning to sing a foreign language song (but not the language) may help. Just plain imitation and not much brain work required ;P
D---r coloring books are also quite good, when I don't have the energy to draw or paint.
Maybe get a new pet?? A small endearing Betta fish or a nice loyal puppy...that would take up much of your time taking care of it, and learning all the pet keeping stuff.
But will face heartbreak when it dies. *sigh*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.