Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still don't know my type... Please ignore my crappy English and help me find my type!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I've always been a little unsure about my INTJness, and the real doubt started when I read this:
"Shy extroverts mistype as introverts;
Smart sensors mistype as intuitives;
Analytical feelers mistype as thinkers;
Disciplined perceivers mistype as judgers."
I am shy, smart, analytical and disciplined. Am I just one big mistyping?

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want success, in many different ways. Career is really important to me, I've always wanted to get a PhD in chemical and physical biology (I'm in undergrad now!) and build a successful career after. I like to achieve things, and have a lot of money. I must admit that I can be very greedy, especially with money. If I have money, I can buy myself happiness. At least, that's how I see it. With money, I can have a nice house, a horse, go on beautiful travels and buy luxury stuff. I don't really care about finding love. Actually, living with someone under one roof for twentyfour/seven terrifies the crap out of me. I also don't want kids, even though I used to enjoy my babysitting job when I was a teen. I do care about social life though.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
My first ride in this roller-coaster, Goliath. ("After climbing out of the station, the train is released from the catch car at the top of the lift hill and accelerates down the 152-foot (46 m) first drop and runs over a large hill." ). I sorta let a friend of mine persuade me to go in, I almost peed my pants when the train climbed up that hill. And then, it went down, really, really, really fast and I felt like I was flying. I loved that feeling. I've been a thrillseeker ever since, but I only engage in something scary if I'm 100% sure it's safe.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Sports. I am the worst sporter ever, and especially in team sports, I feel so awkward and inferior. Everyone is just playing well and as soon as someone passes me the ball I completely ruin it.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
It depends on the kind of decision I make. If I make a decision just for myself, I collect info, count pro-cons, and decide the best options. I don't really "follow my heart" or something like that. If I make a decision that involves other people, I think about them. I sometimes put others' needs before my own.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Every project I starts needs to be perfect. In Dutch, we have this motto-ish thing "Als je het doet, doe het dan goed". It means "If you do something, do it well". With projects, I sorta go by that motto. If I engage in a project, I won't give up or finish it until it's perfect. I really want control over the outcome, I also like to add a creative part to it. I can easily come up with creative, new ideas in projects, the outcome often has my personal creative style added to it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I used to love going to a horse camp. I went there every summer until I went to college, and I loved it. It were seven days where I lived life to the fullest; I did things with horses, ate a lot of food, had a lot of exercise, played games with others, talked to others... It felt like I could live my whole life like that haha.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
It depends on how easy I find it. I'm quite verbally gifted, I already learned English, French and German in school, but the classes were too easy for me, so I started looking for a new challenge. I taught myself Swedish. I memorized the basics, and I started learning it in a fun way: watching TV. I started with Dora and some other crappy child shows, but after half a year I could watch amazing crime series (you should really watch the REAL version of the Bridge, it's so much better than the remake!).
When I have more difficulty with something, like maths, I like others to help me. In high school, there was this teacher that always made explanation videos on maths, I watched them on youtube over and over and it helped me understand.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I'm not really organized. I plan out everything, but I don't follow my plannings. As soon as my planning says "you should clean your room now" I'm like, "No, stupid planning, I want to watch some Netflix first". This is the main issue that makes me doubt about J or P.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Both. I used to care about others a lot more than about my self, but I've become way more independent and self orientated recently.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I always think before speaking, and prefer one-on-one communication.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping?
I don't jump into action right away. I'm an observer; I want to know what's going on before I engage in it. I can also be quite indecisive, so I usually spend a lot of time thinking where I am going to jump. I do hate my own indecisiveness, in some situations I would've been better of jumping.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I'd go out with my friends, I can watch that show later.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I turn into a complete different person when I'm really stressed out. I can become a huge control-freak, bitching people around, or I can lock myself up in my room with a huge bar of chocolate and have annoying convo's with myself in my head. Which one of the two happens usually depends on where the stress comes from.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I hate people who like themselves too much, don't care enough about important stuff or boss everyone around for no apparent reason.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
TV series. I'm an absolute Netflix-addict, and I love to watch series with someone and then talk about it. I can also obsess over a series, talking about it to the point where it really starts to annoy people.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
I don't really care about family. I go to birthdays, weddings and family reunions, but that's it. I only see my parents (and brother, he still lives with my parents) besides those events. Another thing I don't pay attention to, is religion. I don't give a crap in which god(s) someone believes, and I don't even know my own religion (somewhere between agnostic/atheist/scientologist I guess).

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'd probably go for a long ride with my horse, I love to be in the woods with him, enjoy the beautiful nature and the wind blowing through my hair when I gallop through the fields.
Or I'd have a pajamas day, I still need to watch the last season of House of Cards.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
@TelepathicGoose @Oswin any thoughts on the Forgotten One? I don't want her username to prove true and us forget to help her with her type.
@xForgottenOne I'll start giving you thoughts about your type tomorrow definitely if someone hasn't jumped on it by then. Hopefully we'll help you get this figured out!

Oh and @Greyhart, do you have any thoughts here?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why do you think you are an INTJ? From reading your questionnaire I don't get the feeling of INTJ at all.
Why is the horse camp one of your favorite memories?
You say you don't like team sports, can you explain your reasoning for why you don't like sports in particular?

I've got some ideas for type but I prefer you answer my questions before I make any firm judgements.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
You'll want to look at the cognitive functions (Te vs Ti, Se vs Si, etc) as well as the dichotomies (E vs I, N vs S, etc). They are ultimately more meaningful.

It seems, to me, that you use the Ni-Se axis. Based on this questionnaire, I could see you being ISTP, ENTJ, or INTJ. Leaning towards ISTP. I wonder if you could expand more on certain things?
I want success, in many different ways. Career is really important to me, I've always wanted to get a PhD in chemical and physical biology (I'm in undergrad now!) and build a successful career after. I like to achieve things, and have a lot of money.
Why? What first made you want these things? What does 'success' mean to you? Are there qualities more important than success?

I can easily come up with creative, new ideas in projects, the outcome often has my personal creative style added to it.
Example?)

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you think you are an INTJ? From reading your questionnaire I don't get the feeling of INTJ at all.
Why is the horse camp one of your favorite memories?
You say you don't like team sports, can you explain your reasoning for why you don't like sports in particular?

I've got some ideas for type but I prefer you answer my questions before I make any firm judgements.
Every test I've ever taken said INTJ, or correlated with INTJ. My global 5 result was RCOEI, my enneagram reselt 5w6 1w9 3w4 etc. The only kind of tests I don't get clear results with are cognitive functions. The results are different every time I take such a test, and I find it really hard to determine which functions I use. I do think Fi and Se are my most inferior functions, but I'm not sure.
The horse camp is one of my favorite memories because I was really happy then. Usually, there's a lot on my mind, and I think a lot about stuff, but at horse camp, I just didn't have time to think. It was physically so heavy, riding horses a lot and sleeping only a few hours per night, but I had some time of mentally. I think that was the main reason to enjoy it.
I don't like sports because I'm bad at them, and I feel a little embarrassed when being bad at things in public. My grove motor and muscle tension suck, and after all the years of gym class I've had I'm still unable to decide in which direction to kick a football. I generally don't like failure, especially when I keep failing even though I've practiced. I do like kiting a lot though, because I'm actually talented. I remember when my father bought a kite at the beach, I was twelve or so by then, and he was like "kiting is so hard, I've practiced many years to keep that thing in the air" and I tried, and it was so easy. I just had a feeling for what the kite was going to do and I could easily pull the right chord to keep it in the air. That was kinda awesome.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll want to look at the cognitive functions (Te vs Ti, Se vs Si, etc) as well as the dichotomies (E vs I, N vs S, etc). They are ultimately more meaningful.

It seems, to me, that you use the Ni-Se axis. Based on this questionnaire, I could see you being ISTP, ENTJ, or INTJ. Leaning towards ISTP. I wonder if you could expand more on certain things?

Why? What first made you want these things? What does 'success' mean to you? Are there qualities more important than success?

Example?)
I've tried to look at cognitive functions, but I find it quite hard to determine mine. I think my Fe is stronger than my Fi, but that's all I've figured out so far.
I am quite intelligent, and I've always seen biology as the only interesting subject at school. The school system works a bit different over here, at the age of twelve everyone gets divided into five levels based on intelligence. I went to the highest level, and if you go there, you sort of automatically go to college. The other four levels can't go to college, unless they climb their way up to the highest level during high school. During high school, I had to pick subjects. I chose the science package, it included biology, physics and chemistry. That automatically pointed the arrow at biology/physics/chemistry related studies.
Success means to me, to achieve the best thing you can. I've known for a while that my intelligence is my strongest quality, and that I might have the least difficulty succeeding with my career. I even applied for Ivy League, but didn't get in.
I think happiness is the only thing more important then success, but I think everyone that succeeds wherever s/he wants to succeed can achieve happiness more easy than those who don't.
I remember this project in high school, where we had to make a report on the middle east. I didn't write a long paper, like everyone did, but I made a video about those countries. It was so much more fun to do and I got a really good grade!

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
Huh. Well, first hello there, probably-sx-last friend. I think either INFJ or ISTP. I think ISTP is more likely. Somehow I don't get Te here.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I've tried to look at cognitive functions, but I find it quite hard to determine mine. I think my Fe is stronger than my Fi, but that's all I've figured out so far.
I am quite intelligent, and I've always seen biology as the only interesting subject at school. The school system works a bit different over here, at the age of twelve everyone gets divided into five levels based on intelligence. I went to the highest level, and if you go there, you sort of automatically go to college. The other four levels can't go to college, unless they climb their way up to the highest level during high school. During high school, I had to pick subjects. I chose the science package, it included biology, physics and chemistry. That automatically pointed the arrow at biology/physics/chemistry related studies.
Success means to me, to achieve the best thing you can. I've known for a while that my intelligence is my strongest quality, and that I might have the least difficulty succeeding with my career. I even applied for Ivy League, but didn't get in.
I think happiness is the only thing more important then success, but I think everyone that succeeds wherever s/he wants to succeed can achieve happiness more easy than those who don't.
I remember this project in high school, where we had to make a report on the middle east. I didn't write a long paper, like everyone did, but I made a video about those countries. It was so much more fun to do and I got a really good grade!
Oh my goodness! Hopefully this isn't rude, but I cannot imagine school being like that. They're actually trying to make American should like that, divided up by Intelligence Level (although they won't say it outright, that's what they're doing) and having us pick one career path at age 14. I can't even pick my career path at age 19 DX I can't imagine picking it so young. But it's great that you know what you want to do with life, and that you have been so successful with your schooling.

Can you explain a little bit why you love science so much? This question is coming from someone who has friends who are obsessed with science but who cannot fathom their love for it. :)

Right now I'm thinking you've just Se, and I didn't see much Fi in your posts while I do see something that is Fe-ish. But what, may I ask, made you think you had Fe over Fi?

Reactions: Dangerose

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Mmmmm I wonder if you know your enneagram? I have to agree with Oswin, I think Ni-Se is still a nice bracket...I'm leaning towards ISTP as well, however, you seem to show Te in my opinion.

If I were to guess your enneagram type, I would guess one, three, or five. But I'm not certain, so we'll put a pin in both of those.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh. Well, first hello there, probably-sx-last friend. I think either INFJ or ISTP. I think ISTP is more likely. Somehow I don't get Te here.
I've been thinking about ISTP too, but I don't think Se is my auxilary function, I can't relate to most descriptions of Se...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you explain a little bit why you love science so much? This question is coming from someone who has friends who are obsessed with science but who cannot fathom their love for it. :)

Right now I'm thinking you've just Se, and I didn't see much Fi in your posts while I do see something that is Fe-ish. But what, may I ask, made you think you had Fe over Fi?
I always want to know why, and science explains that 'why'. That's my main reason to love science.

As I said before, I can't really relate to most Se-descriptions and I usually score low on Se in tests... Why do you think I have that much Se?

I don't really have a lot of "inner sense of value" and I also score low on Fi in tests. I do care about others' feelings, often more than I care about my own.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mmmmm I wonder if you know your enneagram? I have to agree with Oswin, I think Ni-Se is still a nice bracket...I'm leaning towards ISTP as well, however, you seem to show Te in my opinion.

If I were to guess your enneagram type, I would guess one, three, or five. But I'm not certain, so we'll put a pin in both of those.
I have enneagrammed myself as a 5w6 1w9 3w4 sp/so/sx , so your guess was really accurate!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the similar minds cognitive functions test, here are my results:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (55%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (55%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (20%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (45%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (30%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (20%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - unclear

According to this test, I'm on the Ne-Si axis rather than the Ni-Se axis, but I really don't know how accurate this is.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
1) Yes, there is that :wink:

2) Practical, sounds like either S and/or J

3) iNtuitors love experiences like that too, we're just not compelled to seek them out, so I'm going to say S again.

4) Do you focus on "I feel bad that I'm not good at sports" (F) or on "I shouldn't play sports because I'm bad at them" (T)?

5) Methodical, either T and/or J

6) Either S and/or T

7) Probably S

8) Probably S again

9) Planning recreationally instead of working according to a plan screams P

11) Probably I + F

12) I

13) Both Ps and Js can be indecisive:

Ps procrastinate by patiently waiting for the perfect opportunity (and missing the chance to take a good one)
Js procrastinate by meticulously formulating the perfect plan (and missing their chance to use a good one)

14) Either E and/or F

15-17) Not sure how type-specific any of that is

18) Definitely either I and/or T

20) Definitely I, probably either S and/or P

Total: I would say that you are strongly IS--, moderately --FP

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I took the similar minds cognitive functions test, here are my results:

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (55%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (55%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (30%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (20%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (45%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (30%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (20%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - unclear

According to this test, I'm on the Ne-Si axis rather than the Ni-Se axis, but I really don't know how accurate this is.
It's about as accurate as it needs to be. I would recommend taking the test a few of times over the course of a day or two, but the first results are still useful:

Your strongest functions go from Ti/Ne - Te - Si - Ni/Fe - Se/Fi (or Ti/Ne - Si - Fe if you only want to look at the strongest of each S, N, T, and F).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) Yes, there is that :wink:

2) Practical, sounds like either S and/or J

3) iNtuitors love experiences like that too, we're just not compelled to seek them out, so I'm going to say S again.

4) Do you focus on "I feel bad that I'm not good at sports" (F) or on "I shouldn't play sports because I'm bad at them" (T)?

5) Methodical, either T and/or J

6) Either S and/or T

7) Probably S

8) Probably S again

9) Planning recreationally instead of working according to a plan screams P

11) Probably I + F

12) I

13) Both Ps and Js can be indecisive:

Ps procrastinate by patiently waiting for the perfect opportunity (and missing the chance to take a good one)
Js procrastinate by meticulously formulating the perfect plan (and missing their chance to use a good one)

14) Either E and/or F

15-17) Not sure how type-specific any of that is

18) Definitely either I and/or T

20) Definitely I, probably either S and/or P

Total: I would say that you are strongly IS--, moderately --FP
Thanks, this is a really useful reply, but I'm sure I'm not a Fi-dom. Maybe I'm an ISFJ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's about as accurate as it needs to be. I would recommend taking the test a few of times over the course of a day or two, but the first results are still useful:

Your strongest functions go from Ti/Ne - Te - Si - Ni/Fe - Se/Fi (or Ti/Ne - Si - Fe if you only want to look at the strongest of each S, N, T, and F).
I'll take the test again tomorrow morning, let's see what comes out then!
Ti/Ne - Si - Fe sounds like xNTP a lot, I think I should seriously consider INTP again.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts