·
Registered
933 Posts
I did this test in school and got INTJ :D

I'd say it's not very accurate.

·
Rogue Jungian
1,387 Posts
Seems like the same few questions, just repeated. I still got INFJ though.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Worth noting that the official MBTI process uses the Indicator to give you your "reported type", then asks you to read the type profile for that type and other similar types (particularly if you scored close to even on any of the dimensions) and to "verify" your "best-fit type". So the test itself is not intended as the final stage in the typing process.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I've been administered the official test twice by the same woman.

In her presentation, she would ask us to mark down where we were on the scales (concerning extroversion vs introversion, intuition vs sensing, etc.). At the end of her presentation, she would give us back our "official" results and we would compare.

Both times a girl raised her hand and said, "I didn't get any of the letters I marked down for myself!"

Both times she told her oh no, that had never happened before!

Slightly relevant I guess. I just found it hilarious. I think it happens a lot more frequently than this lady wants to admit.

I'll try to take the test now. I've taken it twice before and gotten INFP, but my self perception has been off, so... We'll see now.

Edit: I.. just got ENFJ on the "official" test. This is strangely validating.

Reactions: IncoherentBabbler

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
693 Posts
I think tests are good stepping stones, but then from there you should evaluate the cognitive functions.

You can't just fill out some bubbles and assume you aren't going to biased AND assume that a test is gonna perfectly enclose how you think.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I got so excited looking at his thread title; I was like a puppy.

And then I actually clicked the link....

:(

EDIT: Upon further inspection, if you do not score as an NT on this test, it is because you are a boring pansy -_-
Seriously a one-note test.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

EDIT: Upon further inspection, if you do not score as an NT on this test, it is because you are a boring pansy -_-
are you doubting it's real or just disappointed?

it was a pretty good thread title

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

Well, that's one of the stranger posts I've read in a while.

That test is the official "Step I" MBTI. And its purpose is to type people as accurately as possible with respect to four dimensions of personality with respect to which identical twins raised in separate households have been found to be substantially more alike than less genetically-similar pairs.

And there's nothing that says that a test item that does a psychometrically impressive job of sorting MBTI N's from S's (for example) is necessarily going to rise to Fern's or anybody else's idea of intellectual sophistication, or be comprised of two choices that correspond to the kind of neat logical opposition likely to please the philosophy majors in the audience.

All of the items on the current form of the official MBTI got there by a process of elimination that started decades ago and has involved hundreds of tested items, with the survivors basically being the items that have been found to do the best job of clustering — based on thousands of tests and the psychometric standards applicable in the personality typology field — with the other items being scored for the same preference.

The MBTI Manual expressly acknowledges that, in many cases, both sides of a particular item are likely to have some appeal to any particular test-taker, and also that, in many cases, the alternative choices don't exactly make sense in terms of a logical opposition. As the Manual explains:

MBTI Manual said:
In writing items, every effort was made to make the responses appeal to the appropriate types, for example, to make the perceptive response to a JP item as attractive to P people as the judging response is to J people. The result is that responses may be psychologically rather than logically opposed, a fact that annoys many thinking types. Item content is less important than that the words and form of the sentence should serve as a "stimulus to evoke a type response."
And here's a little bit of what Myers said in Gifts Differing about the relationship of the actual underlying temperament preferences to behavior, test items and summary descriptions:

Myers said:
Since the more superficial aspects of type are often the easiest to report, many trivial reactions are useful for identification, but these are merely straws to show which way the wind blows. They are not the wind. It would be a mistake to assume that the essence of an attitude or of a perceptive or judging process is defined by its trivial surface effects or by the test items that reflect it or by the words used to describe it.
You say only "boring pansies" would come out anything but NT on the test. Well, FYI, if you look at the best available stats from the official MBTI folks, you'll see that only around 10.4% of the people who take that test come out NT.

Do you think 89.6% of the population consists of boring pansies? Or might it make sense for you to reconsider your take on the test?

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
are you doubting it's real or just disappointed?

it was a pretty good thread title
I am very disappointed :(

I don't care if it's real or not. The officialness of the title just gave me high hopes....

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
-Boring shit blah blah blah-
Do you think 89.6% of the population consists of boring pansies? Or might it make sense for you to reconsider your take on the test?
*rolls eyes* You missed my point completely.

I'm saying that the wording of this test makes it seem that if you choose S answers you're boring and unimaginative and if you choose the F answers, the wording makes it sound like you're some sort of sentimental anti-intellectual.

Jesus fucking Christ -_- It's just a poorly constructed version of the test. I'm on this site, so obviously I take stock in MBTI and that stuff and obviously I don't think F's are pansies, because I am one (probably?).

Anything else you'd care to misinterpret? ^_^ teehee

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
*rolls eyes* You missed my point completely.

I'm saying that the wording of this test makes it seem that if you choose S answers you're boring and unimaginative and if you choose the F answers, the wording makes it sound like you're some sort of sentimental anti-intellectual.

Jesus fucking Christ -_- It's just a poorly constructed version of the test. I'm on this site, so obviously I take stock in MBTI and that stuff and obviously I don't think F's are pansies, because I am one (probably?).

Anything else you'd care to misinterpret? ^_^ teehee
Since both idoh and I got the impression you might well be doubting the authenticity of the test, I'm happy to have given you the opportunity to clarify what you meant.

And it still sounds to me like you're seriously underestimating the quality of the test from the standpoint of its intended purpose.

As I recently explained in another thread, I've been participating in online type-me exercises for over five years now, and I'd say the test you're complaining about is the one that most often gives the correct result — with the one major caveat I have being that, in my experience, it's not all that uncommon for INFs to test as INTs, especially if their F preference is mild (and if you're interested, there's more on that in the linked post).

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Since both idoh and I got the impression you might well be doubting the authenticity of the test, I'm happy to have given you the opportunity to clarify what you meant.

And it still sounds to me like you're seriously underestimating the quality of the test from the standpoint of its intended purpose.

As I recently explained in another thread, I've been participating in online type-me exercises for over five years now, and I'd say the test you're complaining about is the one that most often gives the correct result — with the one major caveat I have being that, in my experience, it's not all that uncommon for INFs to test as INTs, especially if their F preference is mild (and if you're interested, there's more on that in the linked post).
You're making it seem as if finding this individual test poorly written is indicative of some sort of misconstrued attitude to all of Type Theory.

I understand the intended purposes and I respect it. I just feel as if it's not useful in pursuit of those very purposes. Because wouldn't the chief end be accuracy? I think it's poor at arriving at that; though I respect the principles on which it is founded.

I have no idea how you can quantify the fact you boast: that this test gives the most accurate results. I seriously doubt that, as it's prone to stereotype and marginalizing.

I didn't even finish the test because... well, it bored me. So if you think I'm taking offense to whatever category it placed me in, that's not it :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ENTPENTP: Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another.Dominant function: Extraverted Intuition.
Auxiliary function: Introverted Thinking.

Extraversion
People who prefer Extraversion tend to focus on the outer world of people and things.
E18 3IIntraversion
People who prefer Intraversion tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.
Sensing
People who prefer Sensing tend to focus on the present and on concrete information gained from the senses.
S12 14NIntuition
People who prefer Intuition tend to focus on the future, with a view toward patterns and possibilities.
Thinking
People who prefer Thinking tend to base their decitions primarilly on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect.
T22 2FFeeling
People who prefer Feeling tend to base their decisions primarilly on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns.
Judging
People who prefer Judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled.
J0 22PPerceiving
People who prefer Perceiving tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open.
[HR][/HR]
Preference clarity
Eclear
Nslight
Tclear
Pvery clear

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think the biggest problem of that test is that it asks what type of things you value, not how you function. For example I value logic more than sentiment. My Fe is all over the place and I struggle being logical 'cause of it, and it's amazing for me when someone can forget their emotions and go about things with cold logic.

I think many questions in that test tell more about my Socionics dual than about me :'D

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with @Straystuff above. It's a sort of weird way to put the questions. It might be a bit of a language thing for me too as English is not my first language, so although I speak (and read and write) it quite fluently, there can still be nuances that I miss. But I'd still trust it more if the questions were put in another way, more about how I am than what I like, which might be something I like in others but I'm not like that myself. Especially with the word choises the whole section is put as "which word appeals to you?". In the end I also get a bit confused there of how I should answer, what I appreciate or think a bit of how I am as well and as many of the pairs might be quite close anyway, I decide one way one time and another way another time.

But yeah I'm not a big fan of forced choice questions anyway, and this might work for some people better than for others.

I did this last night and got INTP with only slight preferences for N and T, and a couple of days ago I did it after finding the link in another thread and then I got INFP, then too with only a slight preference for at least N.

Reactions: IncoherentBabbler

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ok, tried it.

INFJ INFJ: Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision. Dominant function: Introverted Intuition.
Auxiliary function: Extraverted Feeling.
Extraversion
People who prefer Extraversion tend to focus on the outer world of people and things.
E3 18IIntraversion
People who prefer Intraversion tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.
Sensing
People who prefer Sensing tend to focus on the present and on concrete information gained from the senses.
S0 26NIntuition
People who prefer Intuition tend to focus on the future, with a view toward patterns and possibilities.
Thinking
People who prefer Thinking tend to base their decitions primarilly on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect.
T11 13FFeeling
People who prefer Feeling tend to base their decisions primarilly on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns.
Judging
People who prefer Judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled.
J15 7PPerceiving
People who prefer Perceiving tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open.

[HR][/HR]
Preference clarity
Iclear
Nvery clear
Fslight
Jmoderate
See more detailed information about INFJ

1 - 20 of 105 Posts