Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy fuck. for the past few years, ive been into meditation and mindfulness, and everything to do with positive psychology. Ive also learned how to think in these past few years, using critical thinking skills.

Lately, however, my Si seems to be acting up. I've been finding myself analyzing my current mental state and energy levels and then telling myself how that current state isnt as good as it should be.

Like, instead of just enjoying my current state of mind and doing whatever, im analyzing shit that shouldnt be analyzed, which is taking away the joy of just "going with the flow".

For example, lets say im eating something. I will eat it, and taste it, and then think, "uh-oh, this doesn't taste as good as it should! or as good as i expected! Im trying to make it taste better, here maybe ill chew it like this! Uh oh thats not doing much! Placeeebooo!!!"

That was just a generalized example haha. But ya, WTF do i do about this Si thats causing me so much anxiety??? Is it even Si??? What the fuck mannnnn, i could really use some advice!!!

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
A friend of mine suggested that I should be more mindful or my own emotions. I tried this for some time, I can't remember for how long, let's just say a year to year and a half. The results were tragicomical. First of all, I would be emotional over everything; usually this consisted of negative emotions. Anger, jealousy, usual bullshit of middle school drama queens. Secondly, whenever I experienced a true emotion I would analyse it past the point of confusion.

You know, do I like a girl? Do I really like a girl or just want to sleep with a girl and the element of like is not applicable in relation to her person but only to her body and. Shit, what is it to like a girl? and what is it to desire a girl? What exactly was I feeling because I forgot and what exactly are feelings?

I just stopped reinterpreting the past in every mathematical combination; and accepted that what ever my emotional state is, it is he subject of some deranged science experiment to be performed by yours truly. Maybe an Ne/Ti thing to do would be to say: all pleasures could be better, all pleasures could by bitter, this pleasure is actually quite decent.

Still not sure if this is what you're asking for. How did meditation work for you? I've tried it once .... yes, once. If I need to unwind I've had more success in playing sports, talking to people, skateboarding or doing whatever shenanigans my friends and I could conjure up at the time.

The best positive psych is to have things to look forward to.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Holy fuck. for the past few years, ive been into meditation and mindfulness, and everything to do with positive psychology. Ive also learned how to think in these past few years, using critical thinking skills.

Lately, however, my Si seems to be acting up. I've been finding myself analyzing my current mental state and energy levels and then telling myself how that current state isnt as good as it should be.

Like, instead of just enjoying my current state of mind and doing whatever, im analyzing shit that shouldnt be analyzed, which is taking away the joy of just "going with the flow".

For example, lets say im eating something. I will eat it, and taste it, and then think, "uh-oh, this doesn't taste as good as it should! or as good as i expected! Im trying to make it taste better, here maybe ill chew it like this! Uh oh thats not doing much! Placeeebooo!!!"

That was just a generalized example haha. But ya, WTF do i do about this Si thats causing me so much anxiety??? Is it even Si??? What the fuck mannnnn, i could really use some advice!!!
Your statements could have come from me 10 years ago, but I am 48 so that's OK. I can answer this. Once you achieve an analytic summit, you must stop the active worrying part that was necessary in the interim to integrate that back to Ne. Now you know. Your Ne will integrate that and in a more effortless and scaled way that flows naturally. Let go, Luke! Use the FORCE!

Reactions: Boy Wonder

·
Registered
349 Posts
First of all, I think you're super cute.

Second, what type of meditation are you on? :p I've noticed that following a (more or less strict) method of meditation doesn't go well with ADD. It's effin impossible to simultaneously steer your focus and relax at the same time. -> Meltdown. I bought "What is meditation?" by Osho a couple of weeks ago, because this bald and grumpy old salesperson dude said I don't need anything else (with the sort of "You modern yuppies bring this world to its end!" tone in his voice). I read the first 30 pages and paused when I realized I already know what I'm supposed to do (which isn't much). I'm going to return to the book (I solemnly swear!), but it already gave me a good start. Screw mindfulness!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It has been a recent forgone conclusion for me, that meditation performed more than once a month for the ENTP, is fucking toxic. Toxic like Jet Li at the end of Fearless.

Funky. That also sounds more like Ni than Si? Your Ne's just lagging mayne.

Oh hell.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I think i get it. My mind is cluttered as fuck.

Like right now my sleeping schedule has been fucked up. Ive been going 2 days no sleep, sleep, 2 days, sleep, etc. This is the third day and its 10 am.

Do I feel tired? Is this tired? Is that behavior a sign that i should go to sleep? If i dont sleep, am i wrong and unethical? Is that guilt only from social training, or should i listen? Uh oh!, my alertness dropped a little, am i too tired? Am i acting in order to convince myself that im not tired? Im not gonna die am I? I keep taking deep breaths, why? This very-cool summer in ny feels very nostalgic what do i do about that, sleep?

JEEPERS-CREEPERS MANNNNN!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Second, what type of meditation are you on? :p I've noticed that following a (more or less strict) method of meditation doesn't go well with ADD. It's effin impossible to simultaneously steer your focus and relax at the same time. -> Meltdown. I bought "What is meditation?" by Osho a couple of weeks ago, because this bald and grumpy old salesperson dude said I don't need anything else (with the sort of "You modern yuppies bring this world to its end!" tone in his voice). I read the first 30 pages and paused when I realized I already know what I'm supposed to do (which isn't much). I'm going to return to the book (I solemnly swear!), but it already gave me a good start. Screw mindfulness!
Haha thanks..i think.

Am I cute because im struggling with a semi-emotional and intuitive problem that is easily dealt with by feelers who know that it is not something to be struggled with in the first place? LLOLL

As for meditation, i would assume transcendental meditation...i think...Just trying to clear my mind completely. Ive watched tons and tons of videos on youtube related to this psycho-spiritual stuff.

O ya, and im on adderall for my ADD. A stimulant. But it helps honestly, a lot, though i hesitate to bring it up. When i use it to meditate, which is hardly ever, I open a third fuckin' eye and shoot a laser beam out to the suns core....fuckin crazy spirit-people and their crystals. But i usually just benefit from the drug by doing homework, cleaning, or pwning noobs.

But ya, i kinda just meditate however it feels right. Usually goes something like catching a fleeting feeling of stillness and calmness, and focusing and dilating the experience to the point where it feels like, not to sound fuckin weird but, im being absorbed into the space around me.

It feels like the moment you are just waking up, but being super-aware and alert...odd. I dont do this much though, although i could see a change in how i felt the rest of the day. Very clear calm and alert.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your statements could have come from me 10 years ago, but I am 48 so that's OK. I can answer this. Once you achieve an analytic summit, you must stop the active worrying part that was necessary in the interim to integrate that back to Ne. Now you know. Your Ne will integrate that and in a more effortless and scaled way that flows naturally. Let go, Luke! Use the FORCE!
But my Master, how will i know when that time has come and i am ready? (What is an example of analytic summit?)

SIDE NOTE: isnt it interesting how humans communicate ideas through myths and stories? and have been doing that since the dawn of civilization?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Am I cute because im struggling with a semi-emotional and intuitive problem that is easily dealt with by feelers who know that it is not something to be struggled with in the first place? LLOLL
:tongue:
Meh… Probably not so much. I guess I just can’t help gasping at the combo of fine archery (power to protect the village), mastery of psychology and meditation (brains to make stragies to prevent attacks and to conduct them) and ADD (ability to spot sudden movement and fall asleep when nothing’s happening, etc).

I guess I practise that too. The thing is, I don’t try to do anything. I just sort of take a step back and spectate my thoughts. I set the alarm for one hour, lay in bed eyes closed. Laying down helps, although it wouldn’t work without meds (I’m on a stimulant too), cause I’d fall asleep.

Anywhoo, the result is pretty much similar to what you described. It’s a weird feeling of melting into the physical environment around you… cracks in the ceiling, sound of a train going by, the light in the room. Like you decend couple of levels in your consciousness through all the mush. The rest of the day goes by in a smooth but sturdy state.

I’ve been wondering: what do you think is the difference between an ADD Ne and an ADD Ni? Do you think they feel super different? Are you just more Ne’er than normal? Do you think your Ne benefits from ADD? I gather my Ni is quite hasty and I don’t always focus enough to follow it because of ADD. Although I have Ne in my top 4 functions. I’m not all that convinced it’s really Ne though.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
But my Master, how will i know when that time has come and i am ready? (What is an example of analytic summit?)

SIDE NOTE: isnt it interesting how humans communicate ideas through myths and stories? and have been doing that since the dawn of civilization?
If you have achieved sufficient proficiency with whatever it is that you have been analyzing and your outcomes have improved to a sufficient level, then by all means integrate back to Ne.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Sounds like OCD or some other anxiety problem, honestly. I know because I've suffered from anxiety myself at times in my life, and I know what it is like to constantly overanalyze everything and question whether it is as good as it could be, finding it difficult to simply accept things for what they are. However, unlike you, I found that meditation works wonders. I simply trained my mind to relax and that worrying about most stuff isn't worth it.

I know this doesn't help you at all, just throwing that out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts