Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently reading a book on consciousness. It's interesting...I'm wondering what your thoughts on it were. Do you believe that you are 'something' looking out through your body's eyes? If so, what are you? (that sounds like such a silly question but seriously) or are you and your body essentially the same thing? How can you account for qualia if this is the case?

Reactions: Belovodia and CoopV

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what else there is besides the body, but I guess if you had to call it something, it might as well be called a 'soul' - still an overused and institutionalized term though. Humans are capable of much higher thought than any animal, even going so far as to be idealistic and ridiculously complex in their understanding of things. Whatever gives us these capabilities seems so unique that it's worth studying further. For me, it has been worthwhile focusing on it as the central 'need' - a need to theorize and utilize that ability to it's fullest.

Of course, it's a topic that could easily be misconstrued by Sensing-dominants as targeted at them exclusively. That's actually quite unfair, since even they can (and often do) use higher thought processes. However, it all depends on the individual in question. Some people honestly prefer being animals and think of themselves (and others) as nothing more; I can't accept that for either myself or others. But if there was nothing more than a fleshy body and imperfect brain, self-control would either be non-existent or completely fake (and the only way I could see it being the ladder is if every human being practiced it with the same level of intensity, and we don't).

Of course, you can be whatever you want to be. Just don't do the immature thing and blame life for the cards you pulled out from it. Sometimes, life is the issue (the environment you're forced to be in tends to be a big factor in that), but it's easy to overlook our own actions and choices. Far easier to blame life than to admit that our choices led to whatever situation we're in now. But yes, life sometimes is the issue; just look at each problem independently, from a cause-effect perspective.

Reactions: appurar

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
If energy is neither created nor destroyed, where does that energy go when our bodies pass away?
You asked. I'm warning you. It's not pretty.

As we have once lived from our environment, after we die our environment lives soon from us. Our hearts stop beating, our tissues stop receiving oxygen, capillaries drain of former blood, brain cells die and muscles stiffen. The body soon loses its internal heat, as enzymes and bacteria eat away at the organs. Other little critters like maggots lay hundreds of eggs in our corpses because human bodies are havens for the hatching of new generations. All the time, our decaying bodies emit chemicals like hydrogen sulfide and methane into the environment. We are great resources for feeding the ecosystems we die in.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
If each body has its own unique genetic structure, why would you assume that bodies would all act the same without some sort of unique spiritual energy to guide them? Our brains are all different, and they are not made of silly putty. The way each brain develops is partially predetermined in the womb, and partially relies on the unique combination of everything you experience throughout your life. In that sense, every brain is a snowflake, and will have a unique perception, opinion, outlook, motivation, etc.

But yes, I do believe in a higher consciousness, because why not? It makes me happy.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You asked. I'm warning you. It's not pretty.

As we have once lived from our environment, after we die our environment lives soon from us. Our hearts stop beating, our tissues stop receiving oxygen, capillaries drain of former blood, brain cells die and muscles stiffen. The body soon loses its internal heat, as enzymes and bacteria eat away at the organs. Other little critters like maggots lay hundreds of eggs in our corpses because human bodies are havens for the hatching of new generations. All the time, our decaying bodies emit chemicals like hydrogen sulfide and methane into the environment. We are great resources for feeding the ecosystems we die in.
I agree. But what I was trying to get at is, where does our conscious energy go after dying because that is totally separate from our physical being

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've pondered this as well. I think the universe is within us (our mind) and we're within the universe. If you look at some of the new theories quantum physicists are coming up with they talk about universes being created by the interaction of two membranes. It looks exactly the interaction between nerve membranes in the brain that basically cause consciousness.

The question I ponder is if the universe is in our own minds then what the hell happens after we pass? Perhaps our consciousness goes somewhere else and then we perceive another universe. What is consciousness then? I have no idea... but if I had to define it it would be pure and have some vibration to it.

Like I don't think our soul or consciousness has our personality, likes, dislikes, etc. I think it has a vibrational frequency rather that governs how we perceive and I suppose what kind of universe we'd be attracted to after this life. Which is why heaven and hell to me are just dimensions we choose to perceive and go towards.

So my gut has told me we're all here from previous places. The fight is to stick to where YOU truly want to go. Pure consciousness to me is god. Therefore I believe we're all parts of God. Yet all our consciousnesses put together is still higher than our individual consciousness so that's still a higher God. I think that pure consciousness that is God branched out into all of us and gave us the freedom to create what we want. Creation then is the basis of our consciousness. When religions and spiritual leaders go on and on about the importance of love it's because love is what fosters creation.

Anyways yea those are my beliefs hehe. And I think the next great discovery that will change EVERYTHING will be when scientists realize what they are looking for "out there" is actually inside our brains (consciousness).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I agree. But what I was trying to get at is, where does our conscious energy go after dying because that is totally separate from our physical being
Well this is something Jung often pondered. I believe, as ive said on here before, that the human frame of reference, (or at least that of the individual ego), would be gone, if there is a higher consciousness then it would be so far removed from our living consciousness that such an existance would be unrecognisable.

I doubt we would truely be aware of such a situation. Of course one day it may be proven beyond all doubt that our cognitive processes and concepts merely come from the brain itself in it's biology, in fact there are people who say that now.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
In terms of our consciousness and our bodies being separate things: I have had an experience before where I felt like I (whatever "I" may be, be it a soul or what have you) felt like I was shrinking inside of my body. I became accutely aware of how heavy my physical body felt, almost as if I were wearing a heavy duffle coat, and I could actually feel it "hanging" from me, if that makes sense. Then when I pushed this thought out of my mind, "I" expanded and felt reconnected with my physical body.

I just have to make note: I wasn't on any kind of drugs, enhancers, or lack of sleep or anything. I just started to think about it consciously and it happened. So weird.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I've pondered this as well. I think the universe is within us (our mind) and we're within the universe. If you look at some of the new theories quantum physicists are coming up with they talk about universes being created by the interaction of two membranes. It looks exactly the interaction between nerve membranes in the brain that basically cause consciousness.

The question I ponder is if the universe is in our own minds then what the hell happens after we pass? Perhaps our consciousness goes somewhere else and then we perceive another universe. What is consciousness then? I have no idea... but if I had to define it it would be pure and have some vibration to it.

Like I don't think our soul or consciousness has our personality, likes, dislikes, etc. I think it has a vibrational frequency rather that governs how we perceive and I suppose what kind of universe we'd be attracted to after this life. Which is why heaven and hell to me are just dimensions we choose to perceive and go towards.

So my gut has told me we're all here from previous places. The fight is to stick to where YOU truly want to go. Pure consciousness to me is god. Therefore I believe we're all parts of God. Yet all our consciousnesses put together is still higher than our individual consciousness so that's still a higher God. I think that pure consciousness that is God branched out into all of us and gave us the freedom to create what we want. Creation then is the basis of our consciousness. When religions and spiritual leaders go on and on about the importance of love it's because love is what fosters creation.

Anyways yea those are my beliefs hehe. And I think the next great discovery that will change EVERYTHING will be when scientists realize what they are looking for "out there" is actually inside our brains (consciousness).
Dude. Lol. I totally agree with everything you've said and couldn't have explain it better. I've also felt like we are all truly connected and that God is within us. Every time I decide to do something or feel the need to do something I've always believed that, that is Gods way of leading me towards the right path whether it is good or bad because we need to experience both to learn and grow. It could also just have been my intuition/conscious, but that's just my logical reasoning behind it.

Well this is something Jung often pondered. I believe, as ive said on here before, that the human frame of reference, (or at least that of the individual ego), would be gone, if there is a higher consciousness then it would be so far removed from our living consciousness that such an existance would be unrecognisable.

I doubt we would truely be aware of such a situation. Of course one day it may be proven beyond all doubt that our cognitive processes and concepts merely come from the brain itself in it's biology, in fact there are people who say that now.
Just some food for thought.. So how does that explain the feeling and connectedness you get when you're having a good time and vibing with someone and both of you are feeling it.. Furthermore, you know that feeling you get when someone is checking you out and when you turn around, you make that eye contact with that specific person who is also standing in a group of other people. How does that happen?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Incorrect, maggots do not lay eggs.
Thanks for the correction. Flies lay the eggs. First-stage larvae (maggots) hatch from them. I was trying to simplify but accidentally combined hatching from with laying by mistake.

How do you define “conscious energy” how is it separate from a person’s physical body?

Is this a physical or non-physical thing?

Reactions: Anthoric

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Just some food for thought.. So how does that explain the feeling and connectedness you get when you're having a good time and vibing with someone and both of you are feeling it.. Furthermore, you know that feeling you get when someone is checking you out and when you turn around, you make that eye contact with that specific person who is also standing in a group of other people. How does that happen?
Well that's where the true question lies, that's why this stuff is fun. But I will say that in my one experience of dying, (I think ive mentioned this before so sorry if I have), when I had a respiratory arrest and my heart stopped, I literally wasn't aware of the point of unconsciousness, one moment I was thrashing around in a car in a primal urge to live, then bam next im in a hospital with tubes going everywhere.

Basically it was indeed the experience of infinite times nothing. However it could be that because I never truely died that I was still trapped in my ego somehow so therefore I was at the whims of the body.

I guess ill just have to wait and see at the end...in a way im looking forward to it, if im right it's hurrah, if im wrong then I will never know it.

What I can say is that I personally did not experience that connection with others. As a final note I will mention that my brain was aware that I had missed out on something, there was an awareness of the black part of my unconsciousness, I dont really know how to describe it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't really get why people can't get passed the obvious physical signs of death.

I mean yea obviously to those living it looks like the body decays and gets eaten by maggots. But there's a whole shitload of things going on that we can't perceive. We can't see atoms, neutrinos, we don't understand black matter, we barely know enough about the brain to know what a near death experience is, other animals perceive the world in completely different ways yet their perception and experience is just as valid as ours.

Scientists get too caught up on what we currently know. I do believe we eventually need to prove things but I approach every theory with an open mind and I in no way believe we can currently explain everything.

If it weren't for that search and belief that there is more to be discovered then we would still be believing the world is flat and the sun revolves around the earth, etc. All those incorrect beliefs were based on our own perception and our believing that everything revolves around our own perception. We are the most evolved beings in this world but I doubt our brains can perceive the immenseness that is the universe. So I prefer to stay humble and curious as opposed to skeptical and closed-minded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts