Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The differences between extroversion and introversion are hard to define. How can the objective world seem less real? A concept foreign to extroverts and unnoticed by many introverts in its subtlety. The term 'real' is probably a poor choice. Even I, as a strong introvert, believe the outer world to be real. It is, however, secondary to my inner subjective world. Jung refers to introversion as a selfish function because all there is must first be filtered and interpreted by self perception. This is a necessity to introverts wheras extroverts are much more capable of instantaneous understanding followed by a secondary internal interpretation of the information.
Think of the differences between driving a car and taking a walk. Walking, or extroversion in this metaphor, is on the front lines taking in all of the stimulus at the surface. Actions are directly in your control and response is quicker. This is compared to driving the car in which the world is viewed through glass and to respond one must use the steering wheel. The process is slower because of the extra step.

Introverts are slower people. This is not to say that is a negative trait (though many introverts can attest to having that stigma placed upon them). What an introvert loses in speed they gain in the ability of depth. This is also not meant to place the negative association of shallowness to extroverts. Both types have their strengths and weaknesses, and both types are subject to the proficiency of the individual. Keep that in mind as I continue. I will be using gross generalizations for emphasis on the differences, not to stigmatize anyone nor to box anyone in.

Introverts, the supposed vast minority, is misunderstood by extroversion because of it being easily hidden and because of numbers. Introverts view the world through their own personal perception and hold that perception at a higher value than the objective world. Introverts are less likely to take the world as is and have trouble distancing themselves from the information they gather. They are energized, that is to say revitalized, by their own thoughts and feelings. Reaching out is deliberate and everything they sense is brought within where it serves a better use to the introvert. Constant living in the objective world without time to reflect causes the introvert to become stressed. Of course everyone must focus on either their inner or outer worlds at some point, introverts prefer the comfort of their own mind to the external.

It is a common misconception to equate introversion or extroversion with levels and willingness to socialize. While this is probably the easiest setting to view the differences, there's no set way for either type to function. An extrovert can pour his energy into a solitary activity and an introvert to socializing. The mark of an introvert is that he has a default state of being inwardly focused.

What is interesting is the differences in how the types interact. If I may return to broad generalizations, the two types have very different communication styles. If you have a group of extroverts, they tend to speak much more rapidly and in a brainstorming style. Thoughts are thrown out for anyone to grab and expand upon. This is a very connecting experience to the extrovert, but can leave an introvert behind. The introvert, on the other hand, uses much more energy to speak and tends to prefer to think out what is being talked about and carefully formulate a response. Compare to a group of introverts. Introverts find communication easier when done with smaller groups. Words and what is said tends to be much more deliberate. A group of introverts will frequently divert into smaller mini-conversations within the whole. It is also not uncommon for introverts to feel equally connected with only the presence of others, which may seem more disconnecting to the extrovert.

So what of extroversion, then? Extroverts must reflect inwardly and have a subjective view on the world. What really is the difference? It's all a matter of which world is more familiar, comfortable, and your preference to divert to. Extroversion focuses on the objective. It looks outward for it's primary source of stimulation and energy. Similar to introverts needing to recede to avoid fatigue, extroverts must reach outwardly. Going inward is, while necessary at times, taxing on the extrovert. Too much time alone with their thoughts is stressful.

A trend I see amongst both types is in a time where changes must be made, an introvert is more likely to change their surroundings and an extrovert is more likely to change their perspective. Perspective is what is familiar, comforting, and overall static to the introvert like objectivity to the extrovert. An extrovert will be more likely to say "I'm looking at the situation poorly, let's reevaluate this" as an introvert will be more likely to think "I'm in a poor situation, how can I change it?"

No one is completely introverted or extroverted with exception of possibly a few types of mental disorders. A healthy person needs to interact with both worlds to survive. Introverts, when you go out interact and otherwise leave your mental home, that is extroversion and that is how the majority of the world exists. Extroverts, when you go inward to contemplate that is how introverts naturally take on the world. Remembering that can make it easier to visualize what the other side of the coin is like.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts