Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've taken an interest in psychiatry and neuroscience. And becasue of that I've been paying more attention to classmates. Not because I'm interested in them. but rather I'm interested in knowing why they act the way they do. I feel like child looking at animals at the zoo.

has anyone else ever done this?
[INTP]

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I've never done that, I know my parents seem to like to do that but I think it's rude.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Why is it rude?
I'm not sure, it just always seemed that way to me. Maybe it's not rude if you're just watching them, but I feel like if you're watching them you must also be making judgements on them, and making judgements on people doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I've been doing that for several years, even as a child.

Although, I believe it was about 6 years ago, I watched a documentary on body language, and ever since, my curiosity and analysis was amplified, going through other documentaries on behavior and whatnot.

As a child, I remember being interested in eye movement. I would focus on people's eye movements, their hand gestures and their lips, but I never had any information to relate it to, it was just interesting to watch the different reactions.

Then, when I actually had information I could relate these things to, I've been actively doing it ever since.

In fact, in school, I focus on the teacher's movements more than on what he/she's teaching.

I'm also an INTP, it may be "an INTP thing"?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Observing people seems legit.... :tongue:
It helps me find their weakness :happy:
MWUAHAHAHAHHAHAH :laughing:
This. By the beginning of my senior year in high school, I had so much dirt on people that I could possibly bring my entire class down on their knees. I'm an evil, evil man. Muahahahahaha~

I do love to people watch. Do I make judgments on people? Yes, but I rarely deem anyone a "bad" person. I do believe that people are inherently good. I just know how to ruin their lives. <3

Reactions: Raiju

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm probably an INTP and although I've enjoyed psychological analysis most of my life, I don't watch people. I do take notice of them and their behaviour, but this happens passively. If you're an INTP, you probably don't 'judge ' the specimens too quickly. You wait for more information before drawing conclusions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Observing people is a nice pastime. It's apparently the most obvious fact of my childhood that all I did was watch others.
I didn't know this isn't ok behavior? I thought it was more common?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I people watch all the time. Just have a look at my profile! :D

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Its rude if your going to stalk someone at least have the common decency to tell them first.
Observing people is considered stalking?

No one mentioned following them or making extensive research on them, individually.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been doing that for several years, even as a child.

Although, I believe it was about 6 years ago, I watched a documentary on body language, and ever since, my curiosity and analysis was amplified, going through other documentaries on behavior and whatnot.

As a child, I remember being interested in eye movement. I would focus on people's eye movements, their hand gestures and their lips, but I never had any information to relate it to, it was just interesting to watch the different reactions.

Then, when I actually had information I could relate these things to, I've been actively doing it ever since.

In fact, in school, I focus on the teacher's movements more than on what he/she's teaching.

I'm also an INTP, it may be "an INTP thing"?

Maybe it is an INTP thing. I do the same things when I'm in class. I hardly pay any attention. I can also see when my classmates are messaging each other. It's pretty entertaining. :proud:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I don't really pass any judgement on anyone. I just wonder why they do certain things. Like in my class, every time our prof gives us a break, certain people always seem to congregate. Or even after an exam, they group together and talk about how they failed that test, etc. I just don't understand the significance of it all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm the same way. I just wonder so much about people and why they're doing what they're doing. I'm just very interested in how different and diverse people really are. I like observing people's personalities. I really enjoy seeing what people get happy about and why and what disappoints them. I observe people in class a lot and also sometimes talk with random people (not like completely random, but mutual friends. I'm too shy to talk to strangers.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm the same way. I just wonder so much about people and why they're doing what they're doing. I'm just very interested in how different and diverse people really are. I like observing people's personalities. I really enjoy seeing what people get happy about and why and what disappoints them. I observe people in class a lot and also sometimes talk with random people (not like completely random, but mutual friends. I'm too shy to talk to strangers.)
When I was younger, I envied people who could just strike a conversation with strangers. Now, when a stranger does that to me I feel so awkward and out of my element. Some things you never grow out of, I guess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's completely okay though :). I can hardly, either. Only in my tiny private school where I've passed someone in the hall a thousand times can I really say hello. I can't even ask a store worker where an item would be. It's so embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have people watched for years, even when I was younger. It is something I thoroughly enjoy and even have intentionally done sometimes. I don't judge or make any sort of conclusion on a person but I do try to figure them out and try to intuit what they are like as a person. I do think some conclusions can be drawn on a person based just on a brief observation as they walk past but no lasting judgmental, condemning judgment should be made. You can tell a lot about a person by just observing them and looking at key details.

Where they look as they walk, how they walk, how much thought does it look like went into their outfit, what do they do with their hands, what is their pace like, do they move out of the way of people or let people move out of their way. A lot of it is very small tiny little details on their body language and things of the like.

Conclusions can be made on a person but it should always be open to reconsideration and shouldn't be like a damning judgmental sort of thing. It is important to keep in mind the circumstances that you are trying to figure out. Maybe that person normally dresses really nice but today they felt like shit so they didn't. Always giving people the benefit of the doubt because at the end of the day you are just watching them for such a brief moment in such a removed way.

·
(&#12615;&#12613;&#12615;&#10048;) Meow
681 Posts
Usually I go up and talk to them. I love meeting new people!

But it's also nice to sit back and watch the faces go by from a coffee shop window once in awhile. Observing life in general gives me a sense of comfort and amazement. :proud:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mmm... all the Generation Z posters on this thread so far. Just a curious note.

Maybe it is an INTP thing. I do the same things when I'm in class. I hardly pay any attention. I can also see when my classmates are messaging each other. It's pretty entertaining. :proud:
I'd imagine INTPs would be among the top at observing people and noticing beyond what other types (especially more frequent types) may, and all this without actually mingling in the dramas. This characteristic is perhaps what allows critical people-watching, to not get overburdened with social ruptures. I personally tend to get interactive after my people-watching. First day of class, and I know everyone's name, the way each person moves and talks, the relative timing underlying their actions, conversations and jokes others missed, their sense of alertness and responsiveness to others, overall social context and such. I really try to develop a comprehensive grasp of how they all tick, individually and altogether. Ultimately, I only initiate one-on-one encounters for the sake of minimizing stress, but this in whole helps truly intuiting the personality and intentions from each individual's behavior. I can still be a bit awkward, but this seems to be a natural state of humility to reduce tension in the atmosphere. It is all fascinating really, how it all works, and what we can learn from each other, not just from the words we use but especially in the way we present them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts