Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Formerly 0.M.I.A.0
13,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bring this up because of so many tic tik react vids now up about any topic out there. A theme I noticed is that many tic tok posters take videos of themselves crying and then post them.

This sorta makes me think of when I was a teenager and looked in the mirror while crying a few times.

It appears this is very normalized now. I mean looking at yourself into a phone cry talking, recording it, and posting it.

Note *I do not have tik tok. I just see so many reaction videos popping up on you tube.

·
Registered
ENTJ
2,936 Posts
Yeah that is what I was thinking.

But clearly these people are getting a lot of followers in many cases.
Majority of people are overly emotional and easy to manipulate which is why idiots can get a mass following, if even flat earthers exist in this day and age is testament enough.
When evaluating people one should look at what the person doesn’t readily show and pay less attention to what is on display

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7
275 Posts
Some people regard crying as a normal thing to do, show, and share. From my point of view, it's healthy.
I should learn from them, but I have a long way to go.

edit note: As for crying videos in order to "manipulate", it's not less manipulative than sharing information, so not more cringeworthy to me. I do have an issue with these practices as I have a backstory of being guilt-tripped to death, but that's a personal thing I want to overcome. The issues would lie more in, are these stories and tears true or false.

·
Super Moderator
16,894 Posts
Crying is healthy, yes.
But this is not healthy at all.
Are people really going to isolate their self even further, whether it’s attention seeking or not?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This sorta makes me think of when I was a teenager and looked in the mirror while crying a few times.
I think it’s like needing someone to bear witness to your pain. Literally mirroring. Normally if you have some emotionally available people around you who care, you should be able to vent and receive some form of mirroring and positive regard back before working through the difficult moment. I think this is what’s happening with social media crying. But some people could be faking or really stretching the sympathy.

We mostly live in a just suck it up/be a man/that’s a you problem society. So we are less interdependent. The result is you have mostly young people literally crying out for help, seeking emotional intimacy and care that they are not getting from their real lives. A lot of the things that we ascribe to normal teenage angst is actual mental health issues. Teenagers don’t just become monsters when they hit a certain age. They are struggling with puberty, body issues, low self worth, hormonal changes, stress, increased pressure to perform, and a destabilizing sense of self and where they fit in the world.

There’s something uncomfortable about it because social media is meant to be entertaining, so it’s almost like by crying they are breaking the fourth wall. And they’re appealing to a level of closeness that’s contrived.

·
Super Moderator
16,894 Posts
I think it’s like needing someone to bear witness to your pain. Literally mirroring. Normally if you have some emotionally available people around you who care, you should be able to vent and receive some form of mirroring and positive regard back before working through the difficult moment. I think this is what’s happening with social media crying. But some people could be faking or really stretching the sympathy.

We mostly live in a just suck it up/be a man/that’s a you problem society. So we are less interdependent. The result is you have mostly young people literally crying out for help, seeking emotional intimacy and care that they are not getting from their real lives. A lot of the things that we ascribe to normal teenage angst is actual mental health issues. Teenagers don’t just become monsters when they hit a certain age. They are struggling with puberty, body issues, low self worth, hormonal changes, stress, increased pressure to perform, and a destabilizing sense of self and where they fit in the world.

There’s something uncomfortable about it because social media is meant to be entertaining, so it’s almost like by crying they are breaking the fourth wall. And they’re appealing to a level of closeness that’s contrived.
The thing is that the internet is not a very good place to find that, because there are harsh people in the world that could be detrimental. Yes, I know the same could be said offline. Yet, offline it’s fewer people seeing. The other thing is: Are we losing the human touch, and I don’t mean just hugging, allowing computer tech to overtake human interactions. This is not healthy at all, I believe.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The thing is that the internet is not a very good place to find that, because there are harsh people in the world that could be detrimental. Yes, I know the same could be said offline. Yet, offline it’s fewer people seeing. The other thing is: Are we losing the human touch, and I don’t mean just hugging, allowing computer tech to overtake human interactions. This is not healthy at all, I believe.
I agree with this, but that’s how the internet was set up, to mimic real life community. Even here on Perc I share some difficult things I am dealing with in life and receive a mixed bag of validation and push back from individuals. There’s even a hug emoji now.

So I’m just saying the kids are trying to establish community. Some are doing it in different ways: doing little dances, pranks, sharing knowledge, venting, and some are in crisis mode, and some are playing games for attention. The hysterical ones stand out the most and are the most unsettling. I see no difference between that and perc other than the target age demographic is highly impressionable, the content is maybe more addictive, and reaches a wider audience, etc.

I think it’s a question of neuroplasticity as well and some kids are not using it healthfully. Those same crying kids would have other issues whether or not they were tik tok users, I think. So it would be our job to find better solutions to these issues-definitely.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tears have a connection element to them. It has been suggested that people cry as a sign to other people to comfort them. These people are subconsciously looking for comfort from others, who are not physically present, which points to the possibility that they don’t have anyone in their inner circle, who has mirrored positive response to their pain… Ever. Otherwise they would realize how cringe worthy it is to post videos of themselves, crying on public forums.

Whenever we see behavior that is pushed to the extreme so as to seem extremely cringe like this, it is because they were not nurtured properly. They are doing the best that they can to get their emotional needs met, and it looks goofy to anybody who has actually been nurtured properly. But in its own way, it actually makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
ENTJ
504 Posts
Tears have a connection element to them. It has been suggested that people cry as a sign to other people to comfort them. These people are subconsciously looking for comfort from others, who are not physically present, which points to the possibility that they don’t have anyone in their inner circle, who has mirrored positive response to their pain… Ever. Otherwise they would realize how cringe worthy it is to post videos of themselves, crying on public forums.

Whenever we see behavior that is pushed to the extreme so as to seem extremely cringe like this, it is because they were not nurtured properly. They are doing the best that they can to get their emotional needs met, and it looks goofy to anybody who has actually been nurtured properly. But in its own way, it actually makes perfect sense.
Oh, hi. I wanted to respond to you but that other person closed that thread for further responses, and your profile is locked.

·
Registered
VLFE 4222
1,163 Posts
I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about// I haven’t seen any…my first response is that it’s weird…I’m more worry about why so many ppl want to identify with a mental illness…in my day, we identify with music, but now ppl identify with mental illness…

but one reason might be to get followers, but who cares…great thing about freedom is, if you don’t like it, you can move on and not worry about it…I’m just not concern

but my guess , is that it is more of a rebuke of all the “perfect life” ppl see ( same with identity with mental illness, finding reasons their lives aren’t going so well like “everyone” else) …ppl mostly only post the goods/successes in their lives making it seem almost perfect…now, ppl realizes that isn’t very authentic and showing a side that isn’t perfect…kinda like the anti-hero thing…get so tired of the same images of “perfect”, “ be right”, “being good”….

we tend to share all the happy and good moments, why is it unhealthy to show the other side of things, as well?? Sadness and crying is apart of life, just like laughter and happiness…why is one emotion accepted but not the other..even online…without some twist…probably makes others/society uncomfortable that’s why it isn’t as accepted (my signature/// **show the self everyone likes”….

i share all parts of me, ( not on video, but I didn’t grow up in this new age)….I don’t feel ashame for it…ppl are always warning don’t overshare bc ppl will use it against you….only if you don’t have control over yourself and can be shame, I own my life and understand WHY I do the things I do…ppl can’t shame me bc I don’t let them or believe them if they try…it doesn’t bother me to share my deepest feelings/tragedies/struggles ..it’s a real part of who I am, not ashame for it…

many ppl don’t have proper places like therapy to go…too expensive for a lot ppl, or family don’t take them seriously or they wan5 to share with strangers…I find it easier to share with complete strangers, the harder parts of my personality…it feels less of a burden you are putting on others and if they don’t respond, it’s not a big disappointment as with family or friends …you can start to feel unloved by them. Strangers there is a bit of distance and no expectations, …..I can still put these feelings out there/ maybe to someone who can connect, instead of just telling a family member who doesn’t connect/ and sharing can open eyes up to other lifestyles/different perspectives , possibilities, …and can really work out your negative feelings ( which a lot of ppl don’t know how to do, ignoring doesn’t count) …but that’s me. I feel there is less of an expectations from strangers, so I can’t be disappointed and it’s up to the other person, if they want to read it and respond or react to it or not…it’s not force on them to deal with…where family is a bit different, actions is more of a requirement

I think ppl are just trying out on how to deal with emotions…it’s not bad or good, its learning one way or another…it depends the intentions why….it can be bad for the ones who are faking it, but can just ignore them, but good if we are learning how to cope and try different Avenues to try and deal with these emotions. Community is community…ppl may have different perspectives on how to channel it and use it…this is a new age, it wont be the same as the previous ages/ got to get out of that mindset/ this is the digital age and will forever go in this direction …im not worry about this…I wouldn’t dare put everyone who does this stuff into one category of ppl …like heathy vs unhealthy….

·
Registered
ENTJ
2,936 Posts
We mostly live in a just suck it up/be a man/that’s a you problem society.
Not sure I agree with this, I think we’ve softened and became overly sensitive of people, not telling people to suck it up enough. No time in history has society gotten so soft.
It’s like these days any little thing can be considered offensive.

Wanna be lazy and don’t work? Sure, tax payers and the govt has got u, before ud just starve to death.

Got sick or injured? All good, get paid for every day you’re off work, before if u don’t work that week/month, u don’t eat.

Kids these days think they have plot armour, like they’re invincible coz parents can’t do much to discipline them and society is always in their side regardless of their behaviour. They rarely need to worry about food or shelter and it’s rare to see a child not make it to adulthood vs before ul be lucky to have half your kids grow into adulthood.

People complaining they had to climb a few flights of stairs or walk a km to the office, back in the day u probably walk 10miles aday lol…

People knew what suffering was back then, now days people dunno wtf to do in their free time coz they’re so bored coz life is too easy.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not sure I agree with this, I think we’ve softened and became overly sensitive of people, not telling people to suck it up enough. No time in history has society gotten so soft.
It’s like these days any little thing can be considered offensive.

Wanna be lazy and don’t work? Sure, tax payers and the govt has got u, before ud just starve to death.

Got sick or injured? All good, get paid for every day you’re off work, before if u don’t work that week/month, u don’t eat.

Kids these days think they have plot armour, like they’re invincible coz parents can’t do much to discipline them and society is always in their side regardless of their behaviour. They rarely need to worry about food or shelter and it’s rare to see a child not make it to adulthood vs before ul be lucky to have half your kids grow into adulthood.

People complaining they had to climb a few flights of stairs or walk a km to the office, back in the day u probably walk 10miles aday lol…

People knew what suffering was back then, now days people dunno wtf to do in their free time coz they’re so bored coz life is too easy.
I dont think that’s very nuanced either. Each generation has it’s own struggles, though I will say the younger generations probably struggle with delayed gratification more due to fast technological advancement. They also face higher cost of living and wage stagnation. It’s no point going into the many differences between the generations bc it’s already well documented. I will only say that people who routinely stifle their emotions are just as insufferable as those who let their emotions bleed all over every one else.

There’s no denying that society has become more individualistic and families have gotten smaller. Couple that with emotionally neglectful parenting and it’s not hard to understand why some people seek emotional validation online. Not saying this is always the case.

But I think it’s dangerous to assert that mental health issues are a result of boredom and life being too easy. That would mean that the cure for mental heath issues would be even more challenges, even more work, even less support, and even more trials. Somehow I don’t think that is the case for all people.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts