Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Read Only
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it is common in INTPs to hate mainstream music, movies, etc. It might just be that I'm slightly hipsterish. I'd like the opinion of other INTPs, or just NTs in general.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hating on mainstream music, movies, pop culture, etc. is a big pet peeve of mine. I grew up in an isolated cult where I was restricted exposure from most pop culture until I was high school age. Then I went to an art college filled with hippies and hipsters and goths and whatever else where hating mainstream stuff was cool.

Today, I don't care if what I like isn't trendy. It sucks equally to be prevented from knowing about pop culture as it is to isolate yourself from it. Yeah, some of it is terrible, but sometimes that's what makes it fun too. :happy:

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I'm not aware of a lot of things. IDK.

I like some things that are mainstream but I've never gotten into something because I was "supposed" to.

That said I've never attempted to be a nonconformist, I'm weird enough anyway.

Reactions: rakstamgalds

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I typically don't care whether or not something is considered mainstream. I like what I like, simple as that.
This. I think people take me for a nonconformist sometimes, they'll be like "YOU LIKE (insert mainstream thing here)???"

*shrug* seriously, I was obsessed with Martha Stewart at one point.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I'm so out of touch with the world I've got no clue what the hell is popular and what isn't.
I can only name new artists because people on reddit were bitching about them, or there was a thread about them here on this forum.

I'm a bit of a hermit.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yes, by rule, no matter how good something is, if its mainstream or too many people like it, I deprive myself of it. No. Not really.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I'm not sure if it is common in INTPs to hate mainstream music, movies, etc. It might just be that I'm slightly hipsterish. I'd like the opinion of other INTPs, or just NTs in general.
I was hating the mainstream before hating the mainstream was mainstream.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I like good shit.

A lot of the old good shit was mainstream when it was new.

I enjoy the latest Usher single as much as the next guy. But I also like Conrad Schnitzler. Shit that is good is good shit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really don't give a shit about what other people like or don't like. Everything is subjective at heart. It cracks me up when people piss and moan about things like Justin Beiber. Honestly, who gives a fuck. The kid has a career and he's happy, I'm sure. Don't let your insecurities pollute the interests of others. Bandwagons and circlejerks are pathetic.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Why does hating on bad music necessarily mean people are insecure? LOL.

That said, no I don't hate mainstream stuff. I tend to dislike that which is over-hyped AND bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hate ______
I fit into ______ category of people
Most people don't even hate ______ . They're just parrots.

Justin Beiber is a specific example that I hear mentioned often and people are typically extremely vocal about their distaste for him. Don't worry skro, it's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't like the term "hipster" ... far too many associations with people who are far too pretentious for their own good ... and I've been acquainted with one such "hipster" ... the relationship killed itself, I'm convinced.

In general though, I tend not to like "popular" things simply because they're popular. If I like something, I just do. And if I don't, I just don't. It's that simple for me. I had enough peer pressure growing up, and I've learned what it is I like and what I don't.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of Ne users are hipsters. Specially ENFPs. But shouldn't we rate things as far as the contents are concerned and not how popular something is? That just seems short sighted if you don't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whatever's in the mainstream is I guess by definition a lot more readily accessible than other stuff which is not...I tend to view it as someone who is constantly in your face saying "Hey, look, here's a bunch of music, books and movies people like - do you like any of them?" Yeah, it gets annoying sometimes (I find the endless superhero movies to be particularly annoying) but the benefits outweigh the costs. It's just another way to get access to a wealth of entertainment that you might actually enjoy and find entertaining. I love Harry Potter for example..and love watching tv shows..and I listen to the top40.
Sometimes I'll explore something that's considered mainstream only because it's mainstream, because I'm curious as to what it is about it that people find so appealing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts