Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several movies i hold in the high regard. Im curious what others think of the following:

1.The crow
2.V for Vendetta
3.Watchmen
4. Donnie Darko
5.The matrix
6.Stranger than Fiction
7.Scream
8.Nightmare on Elm Street

These films weren't specifically chosen. Out of curiosity these are just random movies that i happen to love. Curious about others thoughts, opinions, feelings. regards and critiques of these movies. Anyone and everyone welcome

PS if part of series or franchise please make clear if your talking about the series or franchise or if your talking about a specific film from that movie

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The Crow? I liked the dark atmosphere, but I cringed at the nudity. Yeah, I'm innocent :tongue:

As for the Matrix: AWESOME! Though I was a kid when I watched it (and it was only Revolutions), so I only understood the 'philosophy' much later. But it's still cool!:cool:

V for Vendetta and Watchmen: movies I wish I could see!:sad:

As for the other ones, I haven't seen them, and don't have any general interest in watching them. Nothing against them, though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Crow? I liked the dark atmosphere, but I cringed at the nudity. Yeah, I'm innocent :tongue:

As for the Matrix: AWESOME! Though I was a kid when I watched it (and it was only Revolutions), so I only understood the 'philosophy' much later. But it's still cool!:cool:

V for Vendetta and Watchmen: movies I wish I could see!:sad:

As for the other ones, I haven't seen them, and don't have any general interest in watching them. Nothing against them, though.

you said that you are innocent so that is why i have an obligation to warn you about v and watchmen. V has some scenes that could be considered intense. And as for Watchmen, this is very severe, containing nudity, severe graphic violence that had even me cringe(this is rare) and has an overall intense feel, plot and characters

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
:shocked: Okay, thanks man, I'll keep a look out. Totally not what I expected.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:shocked: Okay, thanks man, I'll keep a look out. Totally not what I expected.

yeah surprised me too. im used to seeing that kinda thing from watching horror movies and rarely even within horror have i seen something thats made me cringe or temporarily scar me and there is one scene in particular that still has me on the virge of shitting myself haha

·
Registered
583 Posts
1.The crow

Saw it only once, thought it was alright.

2.V for Vendetta

Haven't seen it.

3.Watchmen

Fantastic movie, easily Zack Snyder's best, and my favorite movie in the super hero genre.

4. Donnie Darko

Deep and complex movie, difficult to grasp, but fascinating and utterly unique.

5.The Matrix

Definitely overrated. Not a bad movie, but it more or less created the modern genre of preposterous action movies where sequences matter far more than story. Only the first two thirds of this film genuinely explore philosophical issues. Inception was the movie the Matrix SHOULD have been.

6.Stranger than Fiction

I haven't seen all of it, but I liked the concept, and I liked what I saw. I love metafiction.

7.Scream

Overrated as hell. A self-aware slasher movie, but that's all it is. It definitely should NOT rank at number 10 on the scariest movies of all time. Maybe 100 is acceptable, but not 10.

Pretty good, if you're into that sort of thing.

Reactions: sullenstare

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
I haven't seen all of them, I'm not going to bother saying anything about the ones I've seen other than The Crow. I first saw The Crow a few years ago. Thought it was amazing when I watched it, don't think I've watched it since. But it's a really good film. Brandon Lee was class

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have several movies i hold in the high regard. Im curious what others think of the following:

1.The crow
2.V for Vendetta
3.Watchmen
4. Donnie Darko
5.The matrix
6.Stranger than Fiction
7.Scream

These films weren't specifically chosen. Out of curiosity these are just random movies that i happen to love. Curious about others thoughts, opinions, feelings. regards and critiques of these movies. Anyone and everyone welcome

PS if part of series or franchise please make clear if your talking about the series or franchise or if your talking about a specific film from that movie

The Crow
- I liked this much. Atmosphere was gloomy. Real revenge movie, easy to hop in the shoes of the main character.

V for Vendetta - Good movie. I do love movies about dystopian societies, and even more where there is a hero to save the day. V is a a charming superhero. Sophisticated and fueled by his idealistic values. I recommend the comics as well, great work from Alan Moore.

Watchmen - A movie that I want to see, but have not yet. After seeing trailer and heard some major "must-see" recommendations this is on my to-do pile.

Donnie Darko - I think the twist didn't make enough sense, or was not too good twist if I understood it right. I found the plot confusing.

The Matrix - Hyped over during it's time. Seen the whole trilogy, and the 2nd and 3rd have some some serious plot holes that make me cringe while watching.

Stranger than Fiction - Never seen.

Scream - Didn't like really.

Nightmare on Elm Street - The dream scene where Freddy has several feet long arms gave me nightmares when I was a kid. And because of that, I never watched the whole movie.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've never seen The Crow, but I had this phase when I figured I could do whatever I wanted to do. So I would be extremely rude to a lot of people. Including my French teacher. Her favorite film was or is The Crow, so the film sort of makes me feel ashamed. I also know the main character's actor was accidentally killed during filming. Which all added together makes the film intimidating to me. I wonder if I shall ever watch it. I like V for Vendetta. I like how V talks, and I like when they're at his place, and he makes eggs for the main character. I also remember the ending as being goosebumps inducing, but not much else. Watchmen is a beautiful ugly mess to me. Donnie Darko I had this phase when I was really obsessing over it, I think it's a really cool film, although it's very difficult to make sense of. I seem to remember sort of getting it at some point, but I've mostly forgotten it, and I don't think it's that important either, because even if you don't make sense of the movie, it's still a very wonderful, emotional experience. I also think of all the movies that have been made about what it's like to be a teen, this is the one I best relate to. I really liked The Matrix too. Watching it for the first time, it was like coming into a new world. I must have seen it several times too, because I caught parts of it randomly the other day, and I knew what everyone was going to say. I liked the third one very much as well, but the second one is argueably sort of dull. The pacing's all weird. The actions scenes are so long. But it's still a series I really like. I've never seen Stranger than Fiction. But I remember this ENFJ I know saying he liked it a lot. Neither have I seen Scream and Nightmare on Elm Street. I used to have a Scream mask for some reason.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've seen The Crow, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street & The Matrix.

Of those four, I liked Nightmare on Elm St the best. The other three didn't really leave an impression on me. Actually Nightmare on Elm St didn't leave much of an impression either, but I like '80s slashers as a genre. I've watched way too many horror movies.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all those that saaid they didn't understand donnie darko i think i can explain. They had to cut about 20 minutes out of the movie which accounted for explaining a whole lot of the concept and idea. I have only seen the directors cut soo i dont know exactly what has been added on. Apart from that it still leaves alot of the idea behind the philosophy of time in the dark. Later on, it was placed on the donnie darko website how the idea works and everything they made up about it.

·
Banned
472 Posts
V for Vendetta
PORTMAN. Seriously, this movie is so good. Everything about it, cinematics, music, atmosphere, the scene in the jail. I've watched it over five times and I cry everytime that lesbian's note is read aloud. PORTMAN.

Donnie Darko
This movie is pretty wtf. But it is definitely interesting and atmospheric. The fact that its so kooky kept me involved the whole time.
I tend to judge movies based on whether they can keep my attention. I love thrillers and such for that reason, and this movie plays like a thriller.

I've also seen Watchmen, and the Matrix, but both of those didn't really enthrall me the same way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.