Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's my understanding the thread game forum is no longer active which is why I'm posting this little riddle here.

A sailor needs to bring a wolf, a goat, and a cabbage across the river.
The boat is tiny and can only carry one passenger at a time.
If he leaves the wolf and the goat alone together, the wolf will eat the goat.
If he leaves the goat and the cabbage alone together, the goat will eat the cabbage.
How can he bring all three safely across the river?

Edit: feel free to share riddles of your own as well. :)

·
Banned
701 Posts
- take goat to B
- return to A and take cabbage to B
- return goat to A and take wolf to B
- Return and take goat to B

took a little while to figure it out, I had to edit my initially silly post.

Here's one (hope it's not too famous) :

Three guests check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 for himself. Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $9; bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bring goat to side B.

Go back, take cabbage to side B.

Bring goat back to side A, take wolf to side B (cabbage and wolf now on side B)

Go back, bring goat to side B.

Realize the futility of your efforts as the cabbage gets eaten by the goat, and the goat by the wolf.

Reactions: that and treschanna

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
1) move goat across river, wolf won't eat cabbage, go back alone
2) bring wolf across, bring goat back
3) bring cabbage across, go back alone
4) bring goat across, all three are united and can proceed on their journey

-OR-

1) toss the cabbage across the river, bring wolf over, go back alone
2) bring goat over, all three are united and can proceed on their journey

TA DA!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome :D.
Three guests check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 for himself. Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $9; bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?
here's another one xD.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bring goat to side B.

Go back, take cabbage to side B.

Bring goat back to side A, take wolf to side B (cabbage and wolf now on side B)

Go back, bring goat to side B.

Realize the futility of your efforts as the cabbage gets eaten by the goat, and the goat by the wolf.
Lol, I know what you mean I got all of them across as well and in the end they all ate each other anyway.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Each guest did indeed only pay $9 in the end. However, the amount given to the bellhop is already included in that $27 total. The 'paradox' occurs because of the wording of the question. They intentionally miscalculate to throw us off.

Of the total amount paid ($30), $25 went to the clerk. $5 were supposed to come back in the form of a refund. However, only $3 did. That makes the total amount given, both to the clerk and the bellhop, $27. That is, the guests paid $25 to the clerk ($8.33 each), and $2 to the bellhop ($0.66 each). 25 to the clerk + 2 to the bellhop + the 3 refunded = 30.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Here's one (hope it's not too famous) :

the error here is the idea that the bellhop's 2 dollars should be added in when it is already factored into the 27 dollars. those 2 dollars are part of the 9 paid by the guests. 2 of those dollars over 25 are in the bellhop's hand. so what you have is 30 dollars. 3 dollars are in the hands of the 3 guests. 2 dollars are in the hands of the bellhop, and 25 dollars are in the hands of the clerk.

Relative to the guest, the room only costs 27. they gave 30 and got a 3 dollar refund (9*3 +3 = 30)
Relative to the Bellhop, he had 5 dollars, he gave them 3 dollars and got a 2 dollars tip. (3 + 2=5)
Relative to the Clerk, the room was 30 but he gave a 5 dollar refund. 2 dollars to the bellhop, and 3 to the guests (30 -2 -3 = 25)

I'm not sure if I said this right. I understand it in my head. It's hard to describe that what they ended up paying shouldn't be added with what the bellhop received. what he received was part of the payment.

the customers did not pay 9 dollars each and then give 2 dollars to bellhop which is what the math in he problem indicates.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Am I missing something? Every answer so far has required to man to take something across the river, take it back later, then carry it across the river again.

Isn't this kind of inefficient considering you could just take the wolf and the cabbage (in whichever order you please) across before the goat?

Not to mention cabbage is hardly a "passenger." You can carry it in your lap - assuming that you're driving the boat and that the creator of the riddle meant to say "room for one passenger and one driver." If they really did mean that only one entity can cross at a time, then how is the man going to get the boat back once he's pushed it off the initial shore?

Does he have to swim across?

Edit: I did overlook something. Something very obvious. Can we pretend this post didn't happen? :(

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Trick riddle. First of all, the sailor eats the cabbage because the voyage will take some time and he/she needs energy. Then you take the goat and leave the wolf behind because its not safe passage with a wolf on your ship (as proven by the atlantic slave trade and noah's ark, having dangerous animals on board with passengers will compromise the journey, as seen by the sinking of the titanic as well. Also the movie "Pi" too).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts