Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are da and ja, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some attempt questions to perhaps clarify the question (on the top of my head; I am also trying to solve this puzzle for fun):

1. Are you a True God? T: [yes] this [] denotes his own language, F: [yes]; R: [yes]/[no] randomly
2. Are you a Random God? T: [no], F: [yes], R: [yes]/[no] randomly

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
1. Are you stupid? T: [no], F: [yes]; R: [yes]/[no] randomly
2. Did you create this vast universe down to the microscopic particles as a joke? T: [no], F: [yes], R: [yes]/[no] randomly

YO! These gods be trollin' me now.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's see what happens if we eliminate the Random God (this could be useful or not useful):

1. Are you a True God? T: [yes]; F: [yes]
2. Are you a False God? T: [no]; F: [no]

Now.... how do we figure which is which if we do not know their language?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Oh, the answer is in semantics.

Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god.
You can ask the same god the same question multiple times, so:

A: Do you speak true? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random answer = AA)
--- "yes" (if true) or "yes" (if false)
B: Do you speak randomly? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random, answer = BB)
--- if BB = AA then AA & BB == "yes" (da/ja respectively = yes). else if BB != AA then AA == "yes" & BB == "no"
C: Do you speak randomly? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If not random, answer = CC)

From here you can easily extrapolate who is who, and what is yes and what is no.

·
Registered
59 Posts

A: Do you speak randomly or true? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random answer = AA)
B: Do you speak randomly? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random, answer = BB)
--- if BB = AA then AA & BB == "yes" (da/ja respectively = yes). else if BB != AA then AA == "yes" & BB == "no"
C: Do you speak randomly? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If not random, answer = CC)

From here you can easily extrapolate who is who, and what is yes and what is no.
I thought you could only ask three questions.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

A: Do you speak randomly or true? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random answer = AA)

Do you speak randomly or true? Is that a yes/no question?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

I should break this down so it's easier to understand:

----------------------------------------------------
Ask god A first, and 10 times (or a million whatever) to verify randomness:

A: "Do you speak true?"

His answer is henceforth called answer AA.
----------------------------------------------------

Ask god B next, and multiple times to verify randomness:

B: "Do you speak randomly?"

Let's call this answer BB. Now if AA was "da" and BB is "da", that means god A answered "yes" and god B answered "yes" and "da = yes" (both cannot answer "no," as the false god and the true god would inevitably say "yes" to the first one, but only the false god would say "yes" to the second).

If AA was "ja" and BB also "ja", then both are still "yes" and "ja = yes."

If AA was "X" and BB was "Y" however (da and ja or ja and da respectively), this means god A said "yes" and god B said "no", therefore AA = "yes" and BB = "no" (so if AA said "da", then "da = yes". If AA said "ja", then "ja = yes". And whatever BB said means "no")

If god A or B are random, apply the same steps to god C to get the same result.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Do you speak randomly or true? Is that a yes/no question?
Yes, you either say "yes" or you say "no" however you really only need to ask "do you speak true" as the "random" is irrelevant. (I see now how that was confusing; you thought I meant the god had to pick "random" or "true", but I meant "yes/no: do you speak either randomly or true?)

Edited for clarity, changed "do you speak randomly or true" to simply "do you speak true".

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Some attempt questions to perhaps clarify the question (on the top of my head; I am also trying to solve this puzzle for fun):

1. Are you a True God? T: [yes] this [] denotes his own language, F: [yes]; R: [yes]/[no] randomly
2. Are you a Random God? T: [no], F: [yes], R: [yes]/[no] randomly
1. Are you stupid? T: [no], F: [yes]; R: [yes]/[no] randomly
2. Did you create this vast universe down to the microscopic particles as a joke? T: [no], F: [yes], R: [yes]/[no] randomly

YO! These gods be trollin' me now.
Let's see what happens if we eliminate the Random God (this could be useful or not useful):

1. Are you a True God? T: [yes]; F: [yes]
2. Are you a False God? T: [no]; F: [no]

Now.... how do we figure which is which if we do not know their language?

A: Do you speak true? (ask ten times to verify if answer is random. If !random answer = AA)

Good point! It establishes who is the random god but no more.
"The gods ...will answer all questions in their own language,.."
Not languages. From the random god we hear 2 different sounds (let's call them X and Y). The True and False gods may both answer X, but we only know that X either means yes or no but we don't know which.

I thought you could only ask three questions.
As Revenant points out - asking the same question ten times you're still only asking one question.

Thanks, @Revenant - I finally got it. If C answers randomly and A answers X to speaking truly and B answers X to speaking randomly then A is True god and B False god. If A answers X and B answers Y (differently) then A is the False god and B is the True god. And in this outcome you don't even have to ask C.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Good point! It establishes who is the random god but no more.
"The gods ...will answer all questions in their own language,.."
Not languages. From the random god we hear 2 different sounds (let's call them X and Y). The True and False gods may both answer X, but we only know that X either means yes or no but we don't know which.

As Revenant points out - asking the same question ten times you're still only asking one question.
Actually, you can figure it all out with the system I presented; you can ascertain what is "yes" and what is "no" via the first two questions (unless the random god is A or B, then the third question). If they both answer X, then X = yes. If they don't, then X = yes and Y = no. (If both say yes, you also know that god A (or whichever is first but not random) is "true" and B (or the second non random) is "false." Otherwise, you know it is the inverse, and you still know who said what sound.

·
Registered
915 Posts
you are all wrong, bible says there is only one god.

evidence:
"Yahweh, He is God; there is no other besides Him." Deuteronomy 4:35"
Surely, God is with you, and there is none else, No other God." Isaiah 45:14

"I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me" Isaiah 46:9
"The foremost is, 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; " Mark 12:29

No, I am not serious and I am not believer...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
you are all wrong, bible says there is only one god.

evidence:
"Yahweh, He is God; there is no other besides Him." Deuteronomy 4:35"Surely, God is with you, and there is none else, No other God." Isaiah 45:14
"I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me" Isaiah 46:9
"The foremost is, 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is one Lord; " Mark 12:29
I think merlin just schooled us all :p Flawless logic!

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
I kill them all and let God #4 [Lord Callous Bastard Almighty] sort them out.

Reactions: psychopathological
1 - 20 of 61 Posts