Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Me
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did nearly post this in the movies section, but it has little to do with the film really.

So my brother, my dad and I sat down to watch the film inception.

My brother and I had seen it a few times, (in fact my brother had seen it a lot), my dad on the other hand was watching it for the first time.

My opinion is that it is an entertaining film, but ive always has a problem with the way the dreams are portrayed. To me it seemed like a very right brain concept, built to appeal to a left brain sensibility; in that the story and concept are both structured to make sense and fit together. Of course some would say as a film that's the point. But to me dreams are always nearly far more abstract and surreal than those presented in Inception.

How many here have ever experienced a dream where the environment is as familiar and believable as the ones in this film? I know I never have, but of course that's just my view on this.

My brother is....obsessed with this film, he views it as a magnificent and creative film, he often marvels that this idea came out of one mans head. It was because of this love for the film that he believed my dad ought to watch it. However my brother is, (and this is my opinion at this moment in time), an ESFP. His inferior Ni is being engaged by something he wouldn't normally consider, something which has suddenly come along and awoken this feeling of revelation within him. The message of our perceptional realities in the film is not lost on him and he is somewhat fascinated by it.

Then there is our father. Now I said to my brother before we even started that my dad would probably dislike the film. This was only an assumption, but it is based on what I know of my dad.
He is most likely ESTP from what I can observe of him. In any case we were merely 10 minutes into the film when my dad proclaims: "This is garbage, it's nonsense, load of cobblers!"

My brother couldn't understand why his dad didn't enjoy it the same way he did. He tried to explain his own enthusiasm and wondered why my dad wouldn't see it that way. But of course my brother was using Fi to judge this and was only looking at my dad's reaction there and then with Se. But I was looking at the implications of it and why my dad might not enjoy it, which was what I had anticipated.

See my dad has always been a bit of an unbalanced personality, he often loses his temper and becomes frustrated with things, especially if he cant see how they fit together with Ti. However as he has become older he has, (in my mother's words), mellowed out. I believe this is because his tertiary Fe became more developed, or rather he became more aware of it.
In any case his reaction to the film is because while he shares a perceptionary function with my brother, he does not share a judging one. His Ti was trying to work out a system or structure to what he was observing with Se, but he was coming up with a block.

In his own words: "What's the point?". He couldn't understand what the film was trying to convey, to him there was nothing he could relate to, what would be the point of such a film? Dream sharing doesn't exist and it probably never will so why make a film about such a bizarre concept? *

My brother countered that it's a good story and it is entertaining. He also mentioned that my dad enjoyed the film version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, what was the point of that?
Before this little discussion picked up, my dad did actually watch the entire film so as to not judge too quickly, but it still ended up as id predicted.

My own views and points were never heard because I kept getting talked over and interrupted, as tends to happen with my family in a group environment, one on one I usually get my say.

In the end they put it down to a difference in ages, my brother believed my dad was just too old to appreciate the film and my dad thought that this was just the kind of gibberish that a young man might think was 'the bee's knee's".

For myself I just wanted to mention that it was merely a different way of looking at things and had little to do with their ages, except possibly when it comes to the environment my dad grew up in.

* Well in fairness I could be wrong here and my dad could be an ESTJ using Te to understand the film's application of message, but he is nothing like any other ESTJ ive ever met in terms of functions. He seems to engage far more with Se + Ti + Fe and ive noticed this in his interactions with people.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Do you know your brother's type? He perceived the film in a very similar way to how I would. In my opinion, if something was enjoyable, there was a point to it. It seems like the other way around for your dad - to be enjoyable, something has to have a point. Hm. I never realised how MBTI types would affect even things like films!

Reactions: Worriedfunction

·
Registered
Me
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know your brother's type? He perceived the film in a very similar way to how I would. In my opinion, if something was enjoyable, there was a point to it. It seems like the other way around for your dad - to be enjoyable, something has to have a point. Hm. I never realised how MBTI types would affect even things like films!
Well I could always be wrong in my evaluation, but I said he was an ESFP. Your view of it might even have been stronger than his seeing as how Ni is your tertiary function rather than inferior like his.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts