Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/thesunawakens/6.gif
(Too large to be hosted)

Ti is a function that judges based on internal logic and rational thought. If this is so, could someone explain to me how it could also be considered a right-brained function? It seems as though Ti would be a more grounded, left-brained function and not one that holds ideas in picture form. To me, picture thought in an INTP seems more like Ti judgments filtered through Ne. Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with the difference between right and left brained functions, besides the fact that perceivers use right-right-left-left and judgers use left-left-right-right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ti is right brain

"As a right-brain function, Ti is not conceptual and linear. It's body based and wholistic. It operates by way of visual, tactile, or spatial cues, inclining us to reason experientially rather than analytically. There are countless situations in which subjective Judgment is preferable to--and more effective than--the objective sort."

"The right brain, with its all-at-once approach to life, doesn't require exact predictability before it takes action. Its decisions are based on probabilities, and it leaves room for the random and the unexpected. But right-brain logic does require hands-on experience. We have to recognize, in the midst of action, which variables are best taken into account and which are irrelevant to our goal."

Te is left brain

"The left brain, with its one-thing-at-a-time approach to life, requires exact predictability before it takes action. This is a clear advantage in situations we don't know much about. As long as we have a set of instructions or understand the principle involved, we don't need firsthand experience in order to proceed. However, when an enterprise involves random data, or there are many variables to consider, left-brain logic has no recourse."

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/122843-introverted-thinking.html

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ti is right brain

"As a right-brain function, Ti is not conceptual and linear. It's body based and wholistic. It operates by way of visual, tactile, or spatial cues, inclining us to reason experientially rather than analytically. There are countless situations in which subjective Judgment is preferable to--and more effective than--the objective sort."

"The right brain, with its all-at-once approach to life, doesn't require exact predictability before it takes action. Its decisions are based on probabilities, and it leaves room for the random and the unexpected. But right-brain logic does require hands-on experience. We have to recognize, in the midst of action, which variables are best taken into account and which are irrelevant to our goal."

Te is left brain

"The left brain, with its one-thing-at-a-time approach to life, requires exact predictability before it takes action. This is a clear advantage in situations we don't know much about. As long as we have a set of instructions or understand the principle involved, we don't need firsthand experience in order to proceed. However, when an enterprise involves random data, or there are many variables to consider, left-brain logic has no recourse."

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/122843-introverted-thinking.html
I shared the OP's skepticism before I read this post. The notion of a logic-based judging function residing in the right hemisphere sounds like an irreconcilable contradiction. However, this description of TI resonates perfectly with my experience of the function, perhaps more than any other description I've read. It bridges the gap between a seemingly well-organized judging function and the abstract and somewhat chaotic methods of the right hemisphere.

It also fills in the knowledge gap created when I started reading Jung - i.e. extraverted functions are concerned with objective reality whereas introverted functions are concerned with subjective interpretations. Could it be said that extraverted functions in general originate in the left hemisphere and introverted functions reside in the right hemisphere? Does extraverted intuition reside in the left side of our brains?

Is it possible that most or all of these functions are actually interactions between both hemispheres? For example, introverted thinking starts with a spark in the right hemisphere which then prompts the left hemisphere to help guide, organize, and give concrete meaning to the right hemisphere's activities?

Am I over analyzing? Or just plain failing to understand, perhaps?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was tested as being left dominant but the results were very close. Also there is a simple "test" if you fold your hands together crossing fingers the thumb on the top tells you dominant hemisphere - if left thumb is at top the right hemisphere is dominant, if right thumb is on top the left hemisphere is dominant. - not sure how relevant it is.... According to this test my right hemisphere is dominant. I dont know left hemisphere looks like more thinking oriented than the right hemisphere o.o

If I pick what I am good at it goes like this:

The Right Brain
According to the left-brain, right-brain dominance theory, the right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks. Some of the abilities that are popularly associated with the right side of the brain include:

• Recognizing faces
  • Expressing emotions
  • Music
  • Reading emotions
  • Color
  • Images
  • Intuition
  • Creativity
The Left Brain
The left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language and analytical thinking. The left-brain is often described as being better at:

• Language
  • Logic
  • Critical thinking
  • Numbers
  • Reasoning

Reactions: Chernobog

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Scientists Disprove Theory of Right and Left Brain Personality

So basically trying to confine things to one (falsely contrived) side of the brain is silly.

Ti's emphasis on words and meaning and holistic stuff is certainly very "right brain."
It's logic and error-checking and linear analytical skill could certainly be very "left brain."

BUT NONE OF THAT ACTUALLY EXISTSYAYYYY

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Because the first theory that was laid out for this in the 60's has somehow never lost ground (likely because it's simplistic and easy to embrace) even though it wasn't fully understood by scientists at the time and was heavily based in assumptions.

This is what they're speaking about when they say ''disprove'' since this is all most people are aware of.

People like to adopt one side of their brain to operate with so they can feel like a super duper snowflake.
lt was actually disproved a long time ago, but the general public and even pop psychology still reference it.

With MBTI, l'm not quite convinced that the types might now show consistency in brain region activity, since they appear to according to the most recent studies.

lt's just not really going to fit the ancient left/right model, now something is observed where brain regions can mirror one another in either hemisphere.

lf you wanted to question something more general, like, why 'thinking' can't be creative l would be interested in why you don't think so.

l tend to associate the extraverted judging functions as being more immediate and reactive, while the introverted functions often present as more calm.

So, for Ti this can easily present as rational and calm but creative. More likely to be called ''inventive'' when the creative output as seen is practical and not based in emotion.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I was tested as being left dominant but the results were very close. Also there is a simple "test" if you fold your hands together crossing fingers the thumb on the top tells you dominant hemisphere - if left thumb is at top the right hemisphere is dominant, if right thumb is on top the left hemisphere is dominant. - not sure how relevant it is.... According to this test my right hemisphere is dominant. I dont know left hemisphere looks like more thinking oriented than the right hemisphere o.o
This is a test to see which alleles are dominant, not which side of your brain. If your right thumb goes over your left, the alleles are dominant (source: my sister's biology classes in university).

I don't think preferences are to do with sides of the brain. I do think Ti is a subjective function like they say, but only in the way it doesn't work from a big model or gist. It needs details to put things into categories and these details may be very different from another person's system.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,561 Posts
Meh.
Ti might be a right brained function but I'm left brained and I'm fine with that.
You can say "Ti is right" "Te is left" but at the end of the day it doesn't seem to have great predictive capability so I think it's interesting but kinda pointless.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Scientists Disprove Theory of Right and Left Brain Personality

So basically trying to confine things to one (falsely contrived) side of the brain is silly.

Ti's emphasis on words and meaning and holistic stuff is certainly very "right brain."
It's logic and error-checking and linear analytical skill could certainly be very "left brain."

BUT NONE OF THAT ACTUALLY EXISTSYAYYYY
You beat me to it. I saw that on the news the other day while visiting my parents, and it was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts