Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
backstory: I'm learning my first computer programming language atm and I'm curious what you all think about Ti and the combination of this work style. I'd presume that it would work hand in hand together mostly because there's much to set off Ti's curiosity and many frameworks to work under.

That said I'm an xSTP (leaning heavier on Se than Ti) so it's quite draining for me after long periods of learning / coding. I'm curious if there's any programmers here on the ISTP side who can comment on whether they too get drained or if they get worked up a bit. Just a note this draining effect may be due to me being in the learning stage which is QUITE tiring, after reading the same book for hours straight.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Every human being will likely get drained by coding, simply because it can be a major brainfuck that only causes headache after a long day's work. Issue I'm no one for quick and dirty, unless it's a temporary fix until I can come up with something good/proper - the steady refinement becomes a chore, though.

Inevitably I'm more adapt at establishing a 'what needs to be done', designing a programs architecture so to speak, than coding in and of itself.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I never got into coding, I'm more of a researcher and a problem solver. I identify a problem, then research a solution. 99% of the time, there's already a solution, so I just use it.

Thanks INTPs!

Reactions: zynthaxx

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
In my opinion, everyone who works seriously with computers should get some coding done to understand what it's really about - preferably in a low-level language. I really like the notion of the Raspberry Pi for exactly this reason - I believe it'll give today's kids the possibility to hack away close to the hardware like my generation did in machine code on our ZX Spectrum and C64 computers. There's nothing like some machine code language and hardware hacking to really grasp the limitations and possibilities of a piece of hardware).

Also, everyone who administrates computers should have a basic grasp of a few scripting languages; at least enough to be able to choose a good-enough tool for common chores.

But yes, I too get drained from coding professionally for too long, and much prefer the troubleshooting and architectural parts of my work (I'm a technician, so I get to code rarely enough that it keeps being a fun break from my daily work, rather than being part of my daily work). And like @DustyDrill I'm pretty good at finding existing solutions to my problems instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every time I need to get something done. Perfect is the enemy of good.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I've done websites. HTML and CSS. This was ten years ago before they got complex with java, xml, flash, etc. I enjoyed it, but I wouldnt want to do it for a living.

Reactions: n2freedom

·
Registered
715 Posts
Every human being will likely get drained by coding, simply because it can be a major brainfuck that only causes headache after a long day's work.
this.
i enjoy it, but 4 hours feel like 12. hopefully i'll end up in databases. being a codemonkey would kill me.

Reactions: n2freedom

·
Registered
120 Posts
backstory: I'm learning my first computer programming language atm and I'm curious what you all think about Ti and the combination of this work style. I'd presume that it would work hand in hand together mostly because there's much to set off Ti's curiosity and many frameworks to work under.

That said I'm an xSTP (leaning heavier on Se than Ti) so it's quite draining for me after long periods of learning / coding. I'm curious if there's any programmers here on the ISTP side who can comment on whether they too get drained or if they get worked up a bit. Just a note this draining effect may be due to me being in the learning stage which is QUITE tiring, after reading the same book for hours straight.
I'm taking classes now, C# programming being the most important, and I'd say I have mixed feelings about it. The major downfall imo is learning the syntax, because things that seem like they should work simply don't, and the only way around it is to suck it up and do it "their" way. It's pretty interesting though once you get the annoying learning out of the way. Not to mention, the feeling when your code actually works is like drinking three Redbulls and then doing a quadruple backflip into a lake off a cliff.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

I used to study HTML, and it seemed pretty damn easy for me.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I like to create the main concept/the main structure of a program (the general idea) but actually writing the code myself is something I find very boring.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I like to create the main concept/the main structure of a program (the general idea) but actually writing the code myself is something I find very boring.
That's exactly how I feel. It's fun at first, but then going into the detail work pissed me off.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Is html considered a programming language? (serious question)
It's for designing web pages. It stands for hyper-text mark-up language.

Reactions: Iron Sabbath

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm taking classes now, C# programming being the most important, and I'd say I have mixed feelings about it. The major downfall imo is learning the syntax, because things that seem like they should work simply don't, and the only way around it is to suck it up and do it "their" way. It's pretty interesting though once you get the annoying learning out of the way. Not to mention, the feeling when your code actually works is like drinking three Redbulls and then doing a quadruple backflip into a lake off a cliff.
Do you have any choice over which language you learn? As a first language, I would say that python is far better than C#. Google it (python) - it's another language, but it's free, open source, and has fairly clear syntax (one syntax for each command), unlike the C family...

Reactions: Iron Sabbath

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have any choice over which language you learn? As a first language, I would say that python is far better than C#. Google it (python) - it's another language, but it's free, open source, and has fairly clear syntax (one syntax for each command), unlike the C family...
Yeah, I took basic programming and logic last year which covered Python. It's a pretty fun language to learn, but not that powerful. C# is the exact opposite imo...

But it was C# or Java, and I have a prejudiced hatred of Java.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, I took basic programming and logic last year which covered Python. It's a pretty fun language to learn, but not that powerful. C# is the exact opposite imo...

But it was C# or Java, and I have a prejudiced hatred of Java.
That's annoying! I'm not really experienced enough with either to make a good judgement, what I do know of the C family and java make me want to hate them! (It's all the crap with the "{" symbol) I think you're wrong with saying python is not that powerful - it's as powerful as you make it, if you import the right modules. Have you seen what can be done with pygame?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm a SAS programmer. I would like nothing more than sitting around writing code for 12 hours a day. But that's not what they have me doing right now.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Hey did anyone play around with Zzt back in the early 90s?

I spent HOURS in that game. My bro and I played it obsessively. Although now he's the programmer and I'm not...sigh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts