Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something I noticed, I'm an INTP and I find that when I talk about stuff, my arms/hands always start making wild movements/shapes as if to show the objects of which I'm talking about. I notice that do this more often than many other personality types. My Physics professor is an ENTP and he does this even more so, bigger movements & more frequently. I find that my INFP friend doesn't do this and she has Ne. My ISTP friends do it sometimes but definitely not as large movements & constant movements that INTPs & ENTPs do.

Is this a Ti combined with Ne thing (to have such large & frequent arm-waving)? Or is this just a bs theory that I made up? lol :laughing:

·
Registered
ENTP 6w7-9w8-3w4 so/sx
798 Posts
Generally, outward expression is associated with Fe.

But I suppose TPs may tend to be more excessive with their outward expressions compared to FJs, who are possibly more controlled ("appropriate"). I don't think there's much of a difference between STPs and NTPs, though. I've met ESTPs who were as outwardly expressive as me (ENTP) and ESTPs who were less so. At that point, I think it's just individual variance.

·
Registered
553 Posts
No idea but would like to know it.You are an INTP for certain?Because I am still doubting my type, and one of the things not helping is that I cannot relate to any of the intp's I find on youtube.Except him.

this is me, do you have any vids online @Airess3 ? I am curious
https://youtu.be/Zg7FoTAFKSQ?t=1369

I think Ne and maybe even Ti may certainly be involved, since we are "drawing" or idea

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea but would like to know it.You are an INTP for certain?Because I am still doubting my type, and one of the things not helping is that I cannot relate to any of the intp's I find on youtube.Except him.

this is me, do you have any vids online @Airess3 ? I am curious
https://youtu.be/Zg7FoTAFKSQ?t=1369

I think Ne and maybe even Ti may certainly be involved, since we are "drawing" or idea
I definitely am an INTP but I don't have any videos of me talking on youtube, only videos of me playing piano, which is not very helpful. It's funny, cause I find myself being able to relate to most INTPs online. 'LittleMissTotoro' is a youtube user I find able to relate to, as well as Tomacity.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Awh, you NTP's do happen to have the most adorable gesticulation :)

I don't know if this is a cognitive functional quirk or not, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My sister(INTP) definitely does this, especially when she's trying to remember something. Neither of us can remember if I do it though, but I've half a mind to say i do.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Just something I noticed, I'm an INTP and I find that when I talk about stuff, my arms/hands always start making wild movements/shapes as if to show the objects of which I'm talking about. I notice that do this more often than many other personality types. My Physics professor is an ENTP and he does this even more so, bigger movements & more frequently. I find that my INFP friend doesn't do this and she has Ne. My ISTP friends do it sometimes but definitely not as large movements & constant movements that INTPs & ENTPs do.

Is this a Ti combined with Ne thing (to have such large & frequent arm-waving)? Or is this just a bs theory that I made up? lol :laughing:
This is a Fe thing, and an N thing. It's because you are trying to emotionally connect externally, in a way that transmits an intuitive idea (the idea is intended to in some way be represented in part or enhanced metaphorically by the way your arms move, for affect).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So many have complained to me about this so I guess I do it a lot. Apparently I do it a lot more when I speak English than whenever I speak my native language? I think it's because the latter one is so monotonous, no need for any emotional expression.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My arms have life of their own. When I try to constrain the gesticulation I tend to forget what I am talking about. It amuses some people, annoys others and it is a source of endless amount of bruises and cuts when I hit something with them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My arms have life of their own. When I try to constrain the gesticulation I tend to forget what I am talking about. It amuses some people, annoys others and it is a source of endless amount of bruises and cuts when I hit something with them.
Or smacking things over xD

·
Registered
195 Posts
ENTJ here.

Very strong expression. More so regarding Te-Fi elements. Like Hitler, Charlie chalping war/authenticity.
ex: those damn plutocrats"!
Subconcious gestures, when dancing. Bold unprecise decisive. Probably the opposite of what you guys have.

You should know that translating Ni into 3D movements is a conflict. So I am not expecting the other to understand such gestures

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with most that Fe also shares blame on this.

I believe this to be true as well, after noticing a lot of NTPs in my life doing it. I've actually made a list of how certain types communicate for fun. xNTPs are as follows:

- Dramatic (especially during prepared speeches)
- Filled with a lot of pauses (usually to build up the drama)
- Uses a lot of hand gestures, as you said
- A lot of quotes, references, examples
- Side glances, I don't know why
- Shifting from one leg to another like they're physically weighing out their options
- There is a goal to make every sentence funny
- It's almost as if they could laugh at their own jokes because they are so amused by it
- Could deviate from the topic, but it still makes sense in a way
- Sarcasm is prevalent
- They leave a lot of dead air because they expect you to contribute something to the conversation
- Slightly annoyed when you don't show enthusiasm for the topic or if you have no reaction (they have been building up a lot of drama/jokes for the whole spiel)
- A bit cautious of choosing the right words (Ti) in the fear of offending anyone (Fe)
- They verbally debate their options. "We could.. but we could also.. never mind, we should just.."
- You could see them talking on their own

Common Phrases:
"Well.."
"But then.."
Open ended statements, "why is that?" "but I don't really know" (connected with the expectation of their conversation partner bringing something constructive to the chat)

They deem enthusiasm and opinion and general/genuine interactivity as whether or not a person likes them or if they're successful at presenting their point.

Of course, this may not apply to every NTP out there, this is just a mere observation of common communication styles that NTPs show in my experience. It would be nice if you could confirm or deny these.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree with most that Fe also shares blame on this.

I believe this to be true as well, after noticing a lot of NTPs in my life doing it. I've actually made a list of how certain types communicate for fun. xNTPs are as follows:

- Dramatic (especially during prepared speeches)

- Filled with a lot of pauses (usually to build up the drama)
- Uses a lot of hand gestures, as you said
- A lot of quotes, references, examples
- Side glances, I don't know why =D
- Shifting from one leg to another like they're physically weighing out their options
- There is a goal to make every sentence funny
- It's almost as if they could laugh at their own jokes because they are so amused by it
- Could deviate from the topic, but it still makes sense in a way
- Sarcasm is prevalent

- They leave a lot of dead air because they expect you to contribute something to the conversation
- Slightly annoyed when you don't show enthusiasm for the topic or if you have no reaction (they have been building up a lot of drama/jokes for the whole spiel)
- A bit cautious of choosing the right words (Ti) in the fear of offending anyone (Fe)
- They verbally debate their options. "We could.. but we could also.. never mind, we should just.."
- You could see them talking on their own

Common Phrases:
"Well.."
"But then.."
Open ended statements, "why is that?" "but I don't really know" (connected with the expectation of their conversation partner bringing something constructive to the chat)

They deem enthusiasm and opinion and general/genuine interactivity as whether or not a person likes them or if they're successful at presenting their point.

Of course, this may not apply to every NTP out there, this is just a mere observation of common communication styles that NTPs show in my experience. It would be nice if you could confirm or deny these.
it's like you were inside my head!

·
Registered
294 Posts
FINALLY someone mentions this. as you know the ti subjective logic is very hard to word for those who don't have well developed fe and even then it can become hard to explain in a way that doesn't only make sense for you but for the rest as well, and ne is incredibly abstract despite being objective so how else would we communicate? WAVE YOUR ARMS AROUND. i usually do that to emphasise things and to take up space but when i can't explain myself i'm just [flails] [does hand sign] [vs] and somehow people get it. that's pretty cool tbh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.