Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Ti is the function that deals with identification. While Te takes points of data and figures out how they connect with the real world (science), Ti takes points of data and figures out how they connect with each other (mathematics, philosophy). Te is focused on utility, and Ti is focused on identification. It's very good at defining things, classifying things, and building internal structures.

In INTPs, it's the dominant function, so typically it manifests in the INTP's habit to obsessively try to fit every new piece of information into their internal structure or belief system about the world. And it has to be consistent. In a conversation, if someone makes a statement, the INTP brain tends to immediately evaluate the truth value of the statement. It is engaged in constant analysis of the validity and consistency of the world around them. "Yes, but is that true?" is the constant voice.

It also doesn't get bored with dissection. INTPs like to ask why. Types with dominant Te functions also like to ask why, but only up to a point - as soon as it's useful. INTPs don't care about use, they ask why, and keep asking, and asking, which means that they end up viewing the world through highly abstract and unified patterns, kind of like a mandala.

It's hard to point out specific examples you might encounter in conversation with an INTP, because INTPs usually revert to their Ne function when having to be social, but you can see it in behavior and interests. the Ti function tends to be highly attracted to abstract systems, whether it be fantasy world building systems or philosophical systems.

You might notice Ti in conversation if someone seems heavily focused on what a word means, or seems to be really pedantic about which words are used, or seems to be picking apart the meaning of something in a what non Ti functions typically see as pointless and time wasting way.

anyway I'm rambling. Haven't talked about Ti in a while. Was fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It makes me an absolute bitch in class. I will challenge everything that doesn't make sense. I will constantly critique things and find problems immediately with statements or with an argument. I hate arguments that seem illogical to me. However I will immediately concede if someone presents me with logical reasons for why it is not a problem.

I am able to argue multiple sides of an issue, one right after the next without stopping. It makes me intimidating to other people naturally, since most of them don't like to debate ideas rationally.

I will look at you with a look of disgust if you bring in your own feelings... those really have no place in objective analysis about theoretical and abstract concepts and basically that is all I want to discuss. I don't know if its my Ti or not but I tend to say that people who focus on their own feelings over facts and logic are annoying and stupid... to their faces. It has caused me lots of problems in the past, particularly at work, and particularly with my former bosses (most of them have been too illogical for my taste).

·
Registered
378 Posts
It makes me an absolute bitch in class. I will challenge everything that doesn't make sense. I will constantly critique things and find problems immediately with statements or with an argument. I hate arguments that seem illogical to me. However I will immediately concede if someone presents me with logical reasons for why it is not a problem.

I am able to argue multiple sides of an issue, one right after the next without stopping. It makes me intimidating to other people naturally, since most of them don't like to debate ideas rationally.

I will look at you with a look of disgust if you bring in your own feelings... those really have no place in objective analysis about theoretical and abstract concepts and basically that is all I want to discuss. I don't know if its my Ti or not but I tend to say that people who focus on their own feelings over facts and logic are annoying and stupid... to their faces. It has caused me lots of problems in the past, particularly at work, and particularly with my former bosses (most of them have been too illogical for my taste).
Initially I wanted to turn away in disdain, having been through similar phases. But I get the sense you know you're fucking up. My advice is don't become cynical over the feelings and emotions of others. Too easy. You not only have similar subjective experiences yourself, once you discover what you'd actually like to do, you'll have to persuade the same people what you're explaining is correct. This is by far the hardest part. Finding something to do, bigger than yourself, and not just being correct, but persuading others you're right. Once you find a way to consistently pluck yourself out of these ruts, you'll find you're by no means maladaptive, and people rather enjoy your company.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
I don't want to murder you with a wall of text, so I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. In day-to-day life, my Ti is constantly scanning for ways to make things the most efficient. It is also scanning for what's missing, what's incomplete.

A very mundane example (I was told this was abnormal, but it was perfectly normal for me) is if I'm at work and I have to run to several offices in different buildings, in my head I have several possible routes that I'm visualizing to determine which is the fastest, has the least people in the way, fewest elevators, quietest streets, too sunny, too shady, ground appropriate for the shoes I'm currently wearing, and allows me to swing through the store on the way back to my office.

If I'm working on a project or learning something new and I'm reading over information, I see all the holes in whatever I'm learning. I have to dig further into those areas to get a clearer picture.

If someone is talking, I notice the words that obscure information and I question them. For instance, at work a senior admin will say that we are now implementing policy X. I'll ask, "who?" The admin will say that we are all taking personal responsibility for this new policy. I'll ask who is responsible for actually informing others of the new policy; who will monitor compliance; what will be done if someone is non-compliant...endless questions until I get the very specific information I'm looking for: Those at the very top are going to do absolutely nothing while giving you a poorly planned new rule and no way to enforce it.

I love my job.

Anyway, that was far longer and more convoluted that I had hoped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I'm looking at something, I don't see the thing itself. I see its chemical makeup, or I see the chemical reaction that's causing it to happen. When I feel cold, I imagine heat leaving my body and trying to reach equilibrium with the room around me. When I watch people talk or just go about their day to day life, I see a conglomeration of 3.5 billion years of evolution, and I see all the traits advantageous to survival and all the memetic ideas that have clung to our species at work. When I listen to an argument, I form logical equations in my head and process ideas. When I look up at the sky at night, I imagine the billions of stars out in the universe, each pulled by each other's gravity and harboring their own solar systems and still other things we can't possibly imagine.

That's what Ti is like to me, and it makes life more beautiful than I would ever want otherwise.

Reactions: Amy

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
When I'm looking at something, I don't see the thing itself. I see its chemical makeup, or I see the chemical reaction that's causing it to happen. When I feel cold, I imagine heat leaving my body and trying to reach equilibrium with the room around me. When I watch people talk or just go about their day to day life, I see a conglomeration of 3.5 billion years of evolution, and I see all the traits advantageous to survival and all the memetic ideas that have clung to our species at work. When I listen to an argument, I form logical equations in my head and process ideas. When I look up at the sky at night, I imagine the billions of stars out in the universe, each pulled by each other's gravity and harboring their own solar systems and still other things we can't possibly imagine.
Yep, that's Ne for you. Seeing what you can't directly see.

(Ti works out the logical structures that connect those things, though)

·
Registered
619 Posts

That's what Ti is like to me, and it makes life more beautiful than I would ever want otherwise.
That's more Ti in conjunction with Ne than Ti in and of itself, though.

The hair-splitting distinction I just made? That's Ti.

I do not merely perceive sunlight, I percieve electromagnetic waves and various mathematical equations.
Depending on your definition of reality, they're the same thing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The other night, was making dinner, and my INFP 'housemate' commented that the ground sausage took significantly less time to dethaw than the whole sausage. I said "that's because there's more surface area exposed." I said this without any prompt. It was instantaneous.

As a Ti dominant, my mind seeks to understand EVERYTHING. For every pheonomea, I have to know the reason why. I take the reason and break it down to it's core elements then compare it to other things I've observed in the past. Patterns form, and I apply these patterns to things I observe in the future, formulating the reasons for their occurrence.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sometimes I don't know the reason right off hand. I then invoke Ne to explore different possibilities and then use Ti to compare and contrast the reasons, settling on which one is the most consistent with my logical framework.

I observed that my male sugar glider had been making aggressive advances towards the female. This was unusual. Online research inferred it that males would made that sound when wanting to mate, and that neutering would not stop the behavior. The INFP I live with INSISTED this was the reason and was satisfied, I was not.

Why?

Because I was already familiar with the concept that that neutering an animal AFTER they reach sexual maturity would not always curb the desire to mate when a female is in heat. The neurological pathways for that behavior had already developed.

Because the online advice said "neutering would not STOP as opposed to neuriting will not PREVENT, and considering that it was regarding a scenario with an unuttered male, I WAS NOT satisfied that the advice was relevant, where the male was neutered long before sexual maturity. The INFP argued with me, he could NOT see why I refused to accept this reason.

Now, here's what I thought. I had been feeding them later. I used to have their food ready for them when they woke up, but I had been putting it off a few hours. Now, giving them extra food did not stop the behavior in a single nigh but over the course of a week, getting their food to them on time reduced instances of the behavior, and I haven't seen since.

I reasoned that the sensation of hunger over a time period initiated behavior that would have had an evolutionary advantage in the wild. Hunger, even a small bit, would mean food scarcity, and gliders that fought to defend their food sources would have a survival advantage.Considering that Sugar Gliders have only kept as pets for 25 years or so, they still have strong behavioral instincts that help them survive in the wild.

My female glider is extremely docile. She has been since birth, she was bred for this docility. I reason that this is the product of the process of domestication, outbreeding the traits that instigate alarm and territoriality, making her docile, but also putting her at a disadvantage when it comes to competition with gilders that still retain their wilder instincts.

Now, I don't know 100% if my theory is correct, but it satisfies everything that I observed, and fits within my logical framework of understanding. It makes sense.

That's one of the ways Ti manifests. Everything has to make sense.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
One way to think of it is in terms of laziness: what do you want me to do? let me derive everything that makes sense to me about it from first principles, that way I'm convinced I'm not being screwed over. Now take that and apply it to everything, for instance the unshut window, cooking, reading, moving, a human using their vocal chords.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The other night, was making dinner, and my INFP 'housemate' commented that the ground sausage took significantly less time to dethaw than the whole sausage. I said "that's because there's more surface area exposed." I said this without any prompt. It was instantaneous.

Somehow that was one of the most satisfying principles I learned in physics class. I remember thinking how cool that was when I first learned it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Somehow that was one of the most satisfying principles I learned in physics class. I remember thinking how cool that was when I first learned it.
Yes, and it applies to so many things. It's why chewing food helps digestion. It's why a pill cut in half will absorb faster. It also affects lifeforms. Why there are size limitations on animals, why there aren't animals larger than the blue whale...

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Apparently, it means I overthink things. Personally, I can't even pick up on the existence of introverted functions, but people say I use a lot of Ti.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts