Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an INTP with moderate ADD who is currently a sophomore in college. My freshman year, I had a pretty rough time at first. I made F's on several tests, which was only the second time in my life I had ever got an F, and I ended up scrambling from deadline to deadline on all my homework, which made studying for tests all the more difficult. I ended up making multiple late semester comebacks (with a lot of help) to actually make a decent GPA. This year, it seems like the same thing all over again, but harder. Schoolwork is once again kicking my ass, and I can't work into a good work rhythm or schedule. I'm a chemistry major, so I have a pretty heavy workload, but I don't see myself being happy with a job in anything else. It's just that I'm so bad at keeping on top of all of my work... I'm incredibly bad with procrastination. I get lost on the internet way too much, and I just don't seem to have the willpower to stay focused on my work for long periods of time. I think my ADD has something to do with this, and I'm on a light medication for it, but I'm not sure how much it helps, plus I'd really rather not just go ask for more drugs... I'd rather make it through on my own power. I've tried a bunch of things already, including studying in different rooms, and even putting in a website blocker on my browser that I have set to block some of my biggest procrastination sites when I work, but I can still get distracted merely by staring into space... Do you guys have anything I could try? And are these types of problems common in INTPs?

(Sorry if this seems long-winded, I had a lot of stuff I wanted to say, I just had trouble putting it in logical order while still mentioning everything.)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Only tip I can give: If you know you're not going to be able to motivate yourself enough to study/work rather sleep, and then study/work during the time that you were initially going to sleep. Effectively, if you're too tired to study then you're tired enough to sleep. Sleeping at-least isn't totally unproductive.

It's what I do, but, as you can imagine, it'll screw up your sleep cycle. I Don't know the long term side-effects, but so far I've managed to maintain this routine for almost a year (and I'm still mostly sane).

Anyway, I'm supposed to be studying right now, but I guess I'm rather going to sleep.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts