Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any project I delve into is usually impeded by the thought "could I be spending my time on something better". So much so that I find myself thinking about what I could be doing instead, more than actually doing something. It's by definition insanity. Trying something over and over again expecting different results. I'll relentlessly repeat this cycle expecting that I'll find something of seemingly utmost importance that I can settle my mind on. It's not even a distraction caused by the endless factors and infinite regression of illogically unsound theories, more just a paranoia that I'm being ignorant in some way by not seeking what is of utmost significance. Occasionally this endless cycle will be sedated by somewhat of a defense mechanism, apathy and the indulgence of mundane things. How does one typically combat something of this nature? Is this typical of INTP?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes and by being mature and learning to get shit done. Sounds harsh but the reality is that you just have to learn to finish what you start.

You recognize that this behavior is making you unproductive, you understand the mechanisms that are bogging you down. Now it's time to use that knowledge in a meaningful way.

Unless you actually don't care about accomplishing anything, then by all means continue as you are.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I have that so much. I would do productive things that I actually enjoy, but I have all of these goddamn authority figures making me do things that I'm not even interested in so that when the time comes for me to actually have free time, there's no way in Hell I'm going to do anything productive.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
You ignore the impulse. As hard as it is. I've learned that by being forced to study something that I hate. Every time it happened I just told myself "Just don't. Do what's asked of you and just fuckin' don't do anything else. You'll thank your inner voice later." Which reminds me, I totally forgot to thank my inner voice.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I've always been horrible at time management. It's even gotten to the point where I subconsciously turn it into a game of "how little can I do to accomplish what I need".

But the problem is in my opinion you are approaching it as if your mind is already made up on what it is all about. You don't know everything you would be doing, transformation only comes from the act of doing. Those extraneous thoughts only seem legitimate because you are having them, but you are not your thoughts. Sometimes these thoughts are just reactionary reflexes that only serve to dissuade illegitimately and nothing more. You should only do it because you want to, and you should only want to because it contributes towards your positive transformation that you know nothing about.

Reactions: Wolfrahm
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.