Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sat down on the living room floor just now to watch a hard earned episode of my recent obsession: Newsroom on HBO. After discovering it yesterday I barreled through 5 consecutive episodes while meticulously editing pictures from my best friend's mom's wedding the night before, completely ignoring what I was supposed to be doing all day, which was actually quite important. As I sit here typing this over 24 hours later, it has yet to be done, but the important stuff only turns out well if you break a feverish sweat as the clock tick, tick, ticks against the back of your skull, right? I have a few more hours until I actually get to that point...

On to the point, which is, the episode started with a flashback. Now I am back on the couch, the Work Station, all scrunched up and huddled over my laptop, not so much annoyed as confounded by myself that here I am again! instead of camping out happily in a lower elevation as I brush my cat and let my mind relax for the first time since 5am.

I know ENTP brains don't function in a linear manner from all I have gathered and read and learned and forgotten and reread and forgotten again. Our consciousness recognizes events, happenings, occurrences, and tell us that these things in turn create time. Time does not just happily trot along like Dorothy and Toto on the YBR. I completely identify with that - I know that I will never estimate the amount of time that it will take me to get up, get ready, and get from point A to point B accurately. Why? Because obviously the event doesn't start until I show up. Didn't ke$ha have a song about that? Or something? Anyway, that's how it feels, and not in a narcissistic way; it's just hard to comprehend that something is going on until I am physically present in that "my surroundings don't exist until someone forces me to look" kind of way. I actually like it that way, honestly, even though many (all) in my orbit would beg to differ.

So why, then, (this might finally be the point. crossing fingers.) when I watch a tv show or a movie with a flashback, or read a book that jumps from perspective to perspective, or from future to present and back again, do I feel so utterly repelled by it????** So much so that I am now sitting here stubbornly refusing to unmute the television as though it would give up and turn into a NORMAL episode if I boycott it long enough? I want things to move along, skipping in ruby slippers, laws of physics happily churning along, from BEGINNING to END.

The only thing I've come up with since I started writing this is that perhaps I prefer my scripted fiction to behave like other people's minds do because I get enough segmentation, fragmentation, and time mischievousness in my own life and head all day. I don't need my diversion to do it as well.

Am I alone in this? I feel like I probably am. But I had to ask.

Nice to meet you.

**None of the Back to the Future movies made me feel this way. I think movies from the 80's are an exception.***

***Dexter is another exception. No explanation.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I sat down on the living room floor just now to watch a hard earned episode of my recent obsession: Newsroom on HBO. After discovering it yesterday I barreled through 5 consecutive episodes while meticulously editing pictures from my best friend's mom's wedding the night before, completely ignoring what I was supposed to be doing all day, which was actually quite important. As I sit here typing this over 24 hours later, it has yet to be done, but the important stuff only turns out well if you break a feverish sweat as the clock tick, tick, ticks against the back of your skull, right? I have a few more hours until I actually get to that point...

On to the point, which is, the episode started with a flashback. Now I am back on the couch, the Work Station, all scrunched up and huddled over my laptop, not so much annoyed as confounded by myself that here I am again! instead of camping out happily in a lower elevation as I brush my cat and let my mind relax for the first time since 5am.

I know ENTP brains don't function in a linear manner from all I have gathered and read and learned and forgotten and reread and forgotten again. Our consciousness recognizes events, happenings, occurrences, and tell us that these things in turn create time. Time does not just happily trot along like Dorothy and Toto on the YBR. I completely identify with that - I know that I will never estimate the amount of time that it will take me to get up, get ready, and get from point A to point B accurately. Why? Because obviously the event doesn't start until I show up. Didn't ke$ha have a song about that? Or something? Anyway, that's how it feels, and not in a narcissistic way; it's just hard to comprehend that something is going on until I am physically present in that "my surroundings don't exist until someone forces me to look" kind of way. I actually like it that way, honestly, even though many (all) in my orbit would beg to differ.

So why, then, (this might finally be the point. crossing fingers.) when I watch a tv show or a movie with a flashback, or read a book that jumps from perspective to perspective, or from future to present and back again, do I feel so utterly repelled by it????** So much so that I am now sitting here stubbornly refusing to unmute the television as though it would give up and turn into a NORMAL episode if I boycott it long enough? I want things to move along, skipping in ruby slippers, laws of physics happily churning along, from BEGINNING to END.

The only thing I've come up with since I started writing this is that perhaps I prefer my scripted fiction to behave like other people's minds do because I get enough segmentation, fragmentation, and time mischievousness in my own life and head all day. I don't need my diversion to do it as well.

Am I alone in this? I feel like I probably am. But I had to ask.

Nice to meet you.

**None of the Back to the Future movies made me feel this way. I think movies from the 80's are an exception.***

***Dexter is another exception. No explanation.
You resist regimentation for yourself and instead behave in a haphazard fashion because you are in FLOW. You take each feeling or action as it comes and focus on that if the integration of mood and action fit your flow.

Likewise, when you witness it, that virtual experience is NOT your flow, it's someone else's and you cannot feel it as cleanly and intuitively with your Ne as you can in person. No FLOW, no fun.

To enjoy vicarious FLOW requires a lot of Ti and Te. The simulator has to PUT YOU into the character's FLOW. Then you can enjoy it (usually if your Ne is good you can only enjoy it if it's accurately portrayed, because then you react in your head the way the character would right along with the character. This is how a character can 'ring true' for you, or not. Watch Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans to confirm (although its not a flashback example)).

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Man, this is exactly what l was trying to communicate in the thread l just answered about emotional highs and lows.

Yes, this would be what l relate to, l have trouble maintaining a linear mode of functiong but it doesn't really involve moodswings until things have actually gone to the darkside (not too often).

Hi :kitteh:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It depends on how well it's done. When the big ball of wibbly-wobely, timey-wimey stuff is processed inside your head then you have self contained points of reference which differentiates timelines. When a show or movie deviates from the strict progression of cause to effect then there needs to be an obvious and definitive division between the timelines, otherwise it just looks like a disconjointed and discombobulated series of WTF!?

I know a lot of people don't like the way Quentin Tarantino jumps around, but I'm actually fine with movies like Pulp Fiction because ultimately he only does one series of events at a time even if they do cross over other series of events. I've also seen editors do all flashbacks in sepia or something to that effect, or they do a very obvious screen cut, which I'm also fine with. There are a lot of shows out there though that do a horrible job at differentiating between past, present, and future or between here and there. Makes it really hard to keep everything straight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.