Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time traveling's been the source of books, films, series and all sort of interesting and not so interesting stories and theories I believe ever since the human kind exists. I've been really interested in it ever since I can remember and this is a topic I frequently like to discuss with one of my INTP besties.
So.
- Do you think it's possible right now? Do you think it could be possible some day?
- Would you like to try it?
- Would you change something?
- Do you think going back in times changes things in the present/future (as in Back to the future) or on the other hand do you believe that going back in time does not change the present/future but instead it's something bound to happen (as in Oedipus or Lost for example)

·
Registered
16 Posts
- No, I do not think it is possible nor it ever will. Time is a one way function and you cannot fight thermodynamic entropy. I would go as far as saying time does not exist as a physical property but rather the perception of change. If nothing changes in the universe, including hidden variables, then no time has elapsed. Minkowski spaces can kiss my elbows.

- If it were possible? I guess, depends on the tradeoffs.

- Depends. If it changes my past aka Back to the future style, no, I could be commiting suicide inadvertely and I could have nonintended harmful consequences to others I care for. But technically I am in my own present at all times even if it looks like my past timeline did. You could make a case I am just branching into a different timeline. So, I could.

- See above. I would buy the no past change exceneario I guess. But as I said in point #1, time travelling cannot happen imho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. I doubt it's currently possible. I also doubt controlled time travel, BTTF-style, will ever be possible. I did, however, read somewhere that it's theoretically possible to create a wormhole and age one end of it (have forgotten the specifics) so that it would be possible to use it to travel back to the time when it was created. So I guess time-tunnels are a maybe.

I suppose there's also the Sliders option, though - by travelling to parallel dimensions a person might be able to find ones that corresponded identically with various pasts, presents and likely futures. I don't know anything about multiple dimensions, though.

2. I would like to time travel, yes! Is this an offer? I will have my bags packed ASAP.

3. It would be cool to introduce modern ideas about chemistry, medicine, agriculture and so forth to ancient civilisations. Given that a lot of people seemed willing to swallow damned near anything back then, there'd probably be a better chance of the ideas catching on.

4. I tend to think there are two likely outcomes. Either a) the future will have to be at least mostly set, because by going back in time a person would create a link between the past and the future and anything they did would have to contribute to a future in which they were able to travel back in time in the first place, or b) by travelling back in time a person would erase the future (or jump timelines, or whatever), and be incapable of returning to their own time because it would no longer exist. If b, then this would probably also mean that travel to the future would either be impossible, or that each trip to the same point in the future would land a person somewhere largely indistinguishable from the last.

·
Registered
347 Posts
- I think the idea of wormholes is the closest scientific concept to actual time travel but there are a lot of holes (pun intended) in the idea and how it could work. So I don't think it is currently possible.

- No. It sounds scary. Maybe if someone else goes first.

- Even if I was talked into using the technology I would be too fearful of the implications of changing the past

- I think changing the past would create multiple branching timelines. Let's say I went back in time and killed Hitler when he was 18. At that point the course of history would change in that timeline, but the timeline I came from would still need to exist since the one I created would be contingent upon it. In other words, if the first timeline didn't exist I wouldn't exist in my current form and mindstate to go back and assassinate Hitler.

Therefore, I have to assume that anyone who travels back in time would create a totally new reality that exists separately from the one he or she originated from.

For instance, what if you went back in time and prevented your parents from meeting? If there was one continuous timeline with no branches then you would cause yourself to not exist which would mean you could not have gone back in time in the first place.

I feel like I'm rambling here. But based on what I've said, whenever someone travels through time they create a new branch in the timeline. Thus there would be no central timeline because it could be changed by a rogue time traveler at any point in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sub-atomic particles (long story short) have a certain % chance to be A or B, if you observe them. I feel like every time such a probabilistic event occurs, like all the time, a time branch splits off.
This also holds true with my belief that free will doesn't exist, it's just those chances happening in such random ways, it feels like logic. A few (or a lot of) atoms here and there that are different might have stopped Hitler from doing all that, aka the butterfly effect.

This way of thinking requires an almost infinite amount of extra "space" to store away all those branches. And in fact, there is room for that. Theoretical scientists like to work with the theory that we're in a vast multidimensional world. What if there are multiple time dimensions? An up/down & a left/right instead of just forwards/backwards, that adds on infinity of layers on top of the time we know. It's like a sphere is an infinite amount of 2D circles stacked onto each other in the 3th dimension.
Imagine the possibilities! Some theories predict there are up to 11 dimensions in total, go figure.

So yeah, I believe that time travel will be possible once we cracked the reality of all these dimensions. We humans always like to think we're at the end of science, but we're WAY too young of a species for that. Let's see if we can outlast ourselves first.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I've always had a fantasy of being able to manipulate time. I mean, I could arrive at an exam and learn what I needed to know to nail it at the spot. I could optimize every moment and achieve anything I set my mind to, and still leave time for leisure. Perhaps I'd get another perception of time altogether by then.

·
Spam-I-am
14,061 Posts
it might be possible at some point in the future
at the present no one can say with certainty wether it is plausible or not
by your example of oedipus were you referring to fate/destiny?

·
Registered
427 Posts
- I think the idea of wormholes is the closest scientific concept to actual time travel but there are a lot of holes (pun intended) in the idea and how it could work. So I don't think it is currently possible.

- No. It sounds scary. Maybe if someone else goes first.

- Even if I was talked into using the technology I would be too fearful of the implications of changing the past

- I think changing the past would create multiple branching timelines. Let's say I went back in time and killed Hitler when he was 18. At that point the course of history would change in that timeline, but the timeline I came from would still need to exist since the one I created would be contingent upon it. In other words, if the first timeline didn't exist I wouldn't exist in my current form and mindstate to go back and assassinate Hitler.

Therefore, I have to assume that anyone who travels back in time would create a totally new reality that exists separately from the one he or she originated from.

For instance, what if you went back in time and prevented your parents from meeting? If there was one continuous timeline with no branches then you would cause yourself to not exist which would mean you could not have gone back in time in the first place.

I feel like I'm rambling here. But based on what I've said, whenever someone travels through time they create a new branch in the timeline. Thus there would be no central timeline because it could be changed by a rogue time traveler at any point in the future.
Same, I believe that it is not currently possible but will be in the future (if we survive) through somethings that have not been discovered yet.

I wouldn't mind trying it.

I probably would, only something about myself though.

I think it depends on what we're talking about, but mostly yes I believe it would change the present/future.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always had a fantasy of being able to manipulate time. I mean, I could arrive at an exam and learn what I needed to know to nail it at the spot. I could optimize every moment and achieve anything I set my mind to, and still leave time for leisure. Perhaps I'd get another perception of time altogether by then.
YES!! I've always wanted that super power too. In fact, every time I talk to my students about which super power they'd like to have, I always say I'd love to control time. First, because I'm terrible at managing the existing time xD and second because I think there are so many interesting things to do that I don't have time to do them all AND sleep, thing which I adore hahaha

The thing here is: ok, let's assume we're able to control time, like for example, stopping it for a while.
1. how is it possible to control time in that situation if you don't know how much time has passed since there's no time to count? It can be a horrible trap
2. so time does not pass, so.... what are you? (you, meaning living body) do you grow older even if you stop for a supossed hour each day? Or do you "keep your age" and don't grow old because time has not passed?

I guess the easiest way would be the Time-turner Hermione Granger uses in "Harry Potter and the prisioner of Azkaban" which allows you to repeat an hour you've just did and so there's two of you for an hour doing different things. Of course, in different places

P.S. if you discover how to manipulate time, please, let me know :laughing:

Reactions: Blue Soul

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
YES!! I've always wanted that super power too. In fact, every time I talk to my students about which super power they'd like to have, I always say I'd love to control time. First, because I'm terrible at managing the existing time xD and second because I think there are so many interesting things to do that I don't have time to do them all AND sleep, thing which I adore hahaha

The thing here is: ok, let's assume we're able to control time, like for example, stopping it for a while.
1. how is it possible to control time in that situation if you don't know how much time has passed since there's no time to count? It can be a horrible trap
2. so time does not pass, so.... what are you? (you, meaning living body) do you grow older even if you stop for a supossed hour each day? Or do you "keep your age" and don't grow old because time has not passed?

I guess the easiest way would be the Time-turner Hermione Granger uses in "Harry Potter and the prisioner of Azkaban" which allows you to repeat an hour you've just did and so there's two of you for an hour doing different things. Of course, in different places

P.S. if you discover how to manipulate time, please, let me know :laughing:
I think stopping the motion of everything in the universe would be very energy demanding, so it's probably very far off from happening, but one can dream. ;)

I'd rather not think of the problems involved with actual time travel, but being able to pause/unpause time would interest me.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So.
- Do you think it's possible right now? Do you think it could be possible some day?
- Do you think going back in times changes things in the present/future (as in Back to the future) or on the other hand do you believe that going back in time does not change the present/future but instead it's something bound to happen (as in Oedipus or Lost for example)
Yes and yes.

Sure.

Probably.

- Do you think going back in times changes things in the present/future (as in Back to the future)
Yes. BTTF is the most fun version of time travel.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If it is possible then it's already happened in the future and people should be time travelling right now. I feel as if that was the case then someone would have spilled the beans already, but then again, if time travel is possible and the people utilizing it wanted to keep it a secret, all they have to do is continuously travel backwards and forwards covering all their tracks.

I can't really give a definitive yes or no because I honestly don't know. Who knows what technology will be possible in say a 100,000 years time.

For sure. But I'd only use it to see all the most defining moments in history in the flesh. I don't really see the point interfering, because things that happen within our history all superficial anyway. The human race doesn't need to to continue, if it ends then just let it.

I answered this above. Maximum efficiency.

If you only witness the past then it shouldn't change the future. But if you change something than it has to have an effect, how else would it not?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
-Someday perhaps...

-Yeah. I would like to try it.

-That's a curious question. Half of me would like to go back and correct my faults throughout my life, but then it might affect my present self a la Jean-Luc Picard in the episode Tapestry. Personally, I would just love to observe different events from history and maybe pilfer some items along the way :kitteh:

-That's a question that also seems to fall in line with the concept of fate. Maybe I was fated to go back in time and do something. That's an overall interesting question. I might come back to this thread to elaborate on my answer for this...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts