Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new and trying to get a better idea of my type and the whole thing in general. I'm either INTP or INTJ. One of those. Anyways on to the personal stuff. I'm a communication major which is odd since I hate people. I had a professor last term say being a commmunication major means you probably don't know how to communicate. All jokes aside, its got a ring of truth to it. I just came out of a hard time where I was too immature to the real problems seriously and too serious to lighten up when the time was right. Needless to say I was not very popular at all. So I'm working on improving communication.

As far as hobbies and stuff of interest, I'm a music geek. Love learning instruments and theory. I started off drumming, then bass and electric guitar. I'm into grunge music for anyone that shares a love of the 90's. That's about the only thing I get nostaligc for. Other than music I'm into novelty. I recently skydived which was fun. Next thing would definately be bungee jumping. Strangely I'm also interested in mysticism, like tarot cards and stuff. I'm into the enneagram even though I haven't bothered chosing a wing.

So there you have it, a little bit about me to get started. I'm gonna have to plug a different thread I started it's the "What's my type" schtick. Look forward to hearing from those that reply, especially those that have any useful advice on typing.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Timmah and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

We have a facebook style chat that you can enable throughout the site... Just read on how to enable it here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/13046-personality-cafe-facebook-style-chat.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Timmah. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hiya and welcome! I'm sure some geniuses around here can help you.

·
Registered
435 Posts
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody

Could someone clarify the functions? From what i can tell its seems more important than the letters themselves.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well the functions are actually the ones that define type and make them distinct from each other.

For INTP, it'd be introverted thinking supported by extroverted intuition. For INTJ, it'd introverted intuition supported by extraverted thinking. The functions are a little vague for me, though. You'd probably want other people's help for that. There's some helpful posts on the Myer Briggs section.

There's also this link.

And here's a test for the cognitive functions.

Reactions: Timmah

·
Registered
254 Posts
You mean I have permission to totally derail an intro thread?

Basically, there's eight cognitive functions that form the bases of the sixteen MBTI types. They are classified into judging functions and perceiving functions, which are further subdivided into two orientations: introverted and extraverted. You can refer to Efthalia's link above for more in-depth descriptions as to what they mean.

Judging functions:
Thinking: Extraverted Thinking (Te), Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Feeling: Extraverted Feeling (Fe), Introverted Feeling (Fi)

Perceiving functions:
Sensing: Extraverted Sensing (Se), Introverted Sensing (Si)
iNtuition: Extraverted iNtuition (Ne), Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

An MBTI type is, basically, formed from one judging function and one perceiving function of opposite orientations. That is, if the judging function is extraverted, like Te and Fe are, then the perceiving function has to be introverted, like Ni or Si. These two functions form the dominant and auxiliary functions for the MBTI type.

Examples: You could be an Ne-dominant, Fi-auxiliary (ENFP) or Ni-dominant, Te-auxiliary (INTJ).

The J or P at the end of an MBTI type code refers to whether the type's perceiving function or judging function is extraverted. If it's J, then the person has an extraverted judging function (Te or Fe). If it's P, then the person has an extraverted perceiving function (Ne or Se).

The E or I at the beginning of an MBTI type code indicates whether the type's dominant function is introverted or extraverted. In the case of ENFP (Ne-dom, Fi-aux), Ne is extraverted iNtuition, which is extraverted, so ENFP has an 'E' in front.

Here's the first two functions for all sixteen types:
ESTJ: Te, Si
ESTP: Se, Ti
ESFJ: Fe, Si
ESFP: Se, Fi
ENTJ: Te, Ni
ENTP: Ne, Ti
ENFJ: Fe, Ni
ENFP: Ne, Fi
ISTJ: Si, Te
ISTP: Ti, Se
ISFJ: Si, Fe
ISFP: Fi, Se
INTJ: Ni, Te
INTP: Ti, Ne
INFJ: Ni, Fe
INFP: Fi, Ne

A switch in J or P reverses the orientation of the judging and perceiving functions, and a switch in I or E reverses the order of the two functions. Studying cognitive functions, therefore, can help you better understand whether you're an xxxJ or an xxxP because switching the orientation makes things quite a bit more different than the type descriptions will generally tell you.

There's also the tertiary and inferior functions for each type. They basically fill in the two basic functions (thinking, feeling, intuiting, sensing) that the dominant and auxiliary functions are not. For example, if you're an INTP (Ti, Ne), you're missing feeling and sensing, so the tertiary and inferior functions would be feeling and sensing. Determining the order and orientation of the tertiary and inferior functions is fairly simple: If your auxiliary function is perceiving, your tertiary function will be the other perceiving function (S) and its orientation will be opposite (Si) that of your auxiliary function. Your inferior function, continuing this example, would be the other judging function (F), and its orientation would be opposite (Fe) that of your dominant function, which is also a judging function.

INTP, then, would be Ti, Ne, Si, Fe.

I personally only find the tertiary and inferior functions to be useful for a little bit of analysis, and not so much for actual typing, though others may disagree... Reversing the order of the tertiary and inferior functions and dubbing them dominant and auxiliary gives you your shadow type. It's been said that, under stress, some people will resort to acting like their shadow type, so it's useful to know for some introspection when you want to analyze your own behavior or something. Anyway, continuing with the INTP example:

INTP's shadow type would be Fe-dominant, Si-auxiliary (ESFJ). You might also notice that simply switching every letter achieves the same effect.

I think that's about it for this introduction; there's lots of people in other fora who would probably be more than willing to help you with this. Sorry if all of this is confusing; I'm not that great of a writer.

Anyway, welcome to PerC!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool

Well, I don't see any derailing since it's pretty much cleared things up. The cognitive functions definately push me into the INTP side. The extraverted Intuition definition summed up the experiences from the past couple years. The breakdown was like this

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.3) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7) good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.7) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.5) excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.5) limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************** (32.5) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.7) average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.5) good use

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, I don't see any derailing since it's pretty much cleared things up. The cognitive functions definately push me into the INTP side. The extraverted Intuition definition summed up the experiences from the past couple years. The breakdown was like this

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.3) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7) good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.7) excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.5) excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.5) limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************** (32.5) good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.7) average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.5) good use
I see more Ne than Ti there, which would indicate ENTP, though considering how close they are, it could still be INTP...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello and Welcome! Hope you have great time in the Cafe while also improving your communication skills.

Best wishes
:happy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this possible

I see more Ne than Ti there, which would indicate ENTP, though considering how close they are, it could still be INTP...
Well, having now read both profiles, I can see myself in both. However, I'm kind of a loner, I'm not overly shy or quiet, I just take awhile to warm up to people. Would that even play a factor into type?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, having now read both profiles, I can see myself in both. However, I'm kind of a loner, I'm not overly shy or quiet, I just take awhile to warm up to people. Would that even play a factor into type?
Well, you did say in an earlier post that "extraverted Intuition definition summed up the experiences from the past couple years," which would still indicate more Ne than Ti and therefore ENTP. Whether or not you're a loner doesn't really play that much into type. It's more the ordering of the cognitive functions that matters. There are, in fact, "extraverts" according to MBTI whom society might normally regard as "introverts."

Edit: And might I suggest starting a new thread in the What's my personality type? forum for better exposure and to avoid continuing to derail this thread. :)

Edit 2: Oh, sorry. Didn't notice you'd already started one. Heh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts