Personality Cafe banner

481 - 500 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
make, search, give and find sense/meaning
DO NOT make me cry....I will not. Thanks for this reassurance, sometimes it can feel so vain and pointless, but even if it is, it's the only thing that will literally lift me up out of the bed, I can't even fight it. Without MEANING in SOMETHING I just can't function effectively if I do even function. I'm not a lost soul searcher, this is mostly due to meaning grounding me, thank God.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
DO NOT make me cry....I will not. Thanks for this reassurance, sometimes it can feel so vain and pointless, but even if it is, it's the only thing that will literally lift me up out of the bed, I can't even fight it. Without MEANING in SOMETHING I just can't function effectively if I do even function. I'm not a lost soul searcher, this is mostly due to meaning grounding me, thank God.
Yeah, that's the base finally. I've tend to forget this before
Good luck, homie

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #483

How are you going with finding meaning?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
How are you going with finding meaning?
Well, I think when I'm down in the dumps the only redeeming factor of it all is that I find meaning in thinking, maybe I went through this or that to learn this lesson. That gives me some light at the end of the dark tunnel. Right now I'm working a job that I couldn't care less about, I don't hate it, but I don't care for it. I literally couldn't get myself to come here everyday without a reason. The reason I'm here is because I'm saving money towards making a huge move out of the state. So I have a purpose for being here and that keeps me going. I believe in God so I filter everything that happens to me through what he is trying to teach me, so I look at everything through the filter of what does this mean on the journey of my life, and sometimes I do find a satisfying answer, sometimes I just keep searching or think that the answer will be made clearer later on. But if I found the consistent meaning that is permanent and never changes everyday, I haven't found that, simply because I search for meaning in everything and that meaning keeps bringing me closer to that complete culmination of the entire meaning of my life, so if I made it there already then there would be no need to keep searching. So I haven't FOUND meaning which is the core reason to keep Searching. Romans 8:24-25 "but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently." I hate to say it but power is in the search, for me at least.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Well, I think when I'm down in the dumps the only redeeming factor of it all is that I find meaning in thinking, maybe I went through this or that to learn this lesson. That gives me some light at the end of the dark tunnel. Right now I'm working a job that I couldn't care less about, I don't hate it, but I don't care for it. I literally couldn't get myself to come here everyday without a reason. The reason I'm here is because I'm saving money towards making a huge move out of the state. So I have a purpose for being here and that keeps me going. I believe in God so I filter everything that happens to me through what he is trying to teach me, so I look at everything through the filter of what does this mean on the journey of my life, and sometimes I do find a satisfying answer, sometimes I just keep searching or think that the answer will be made clearer later on. But if I found the consistent meaning that is permanent and never changes everyday, I haven't found that, simply because I search for meaning in everything and that meaning keeps bringing me closer to that complete culmination of the entire meaning of my life, so if I made it there already then there would be no need to keep searching. So I haven't FOUND meaning which is the core reason to keep Searching. Romans 8:24-25 "but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently." I hate to say it but power is in the search, for me at least.
I know what you mean ~ personally I too get meaning and purpose from my belief in God. For me it's something I follow because I see it as logical, and I think one should go with what they believe/know is true rather than what they wish to be so (wishful thinking can only go so far afterall), I also find it provides me with far more meaning and purpose than anything else does. Also, as listed in the tips, prayer has been proven to help reduce stress and anxiety, and is effective as a way to vent and get stuff off your chest...Additionally, as I believe that God can hear prayers (of course He would be able to as our Creator), I find prayer to be truly comforting, and I don't feel alone when I pray. These things really help someone to cope with depression, and in dealing with the feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
Since you quoted a scripture, may I ask, do you read the Bible daily? This is another thing that I find benefits me in multiple ways. I think it's a great idea, and so I'm happy to recommend it to anyone interested.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Cantaloupe
Mushrooms
Ginseng
Small amounts of dark chocolate
Peppers
Sun
Vitamin B 12
Postive Music
Positive Viewing of TV
Positive People as much as possible
Exercise
Opening Blinds & Shades

Might need to look at hormones, or Ph Levels with a blood test or speak to a therapist if you have something lingering to help address any defincies or misplaced thinking

·
MOTM June 2012
9,330 Posts
Cantaloupe
Mushrooms
Ginseng
Small amounts of dark chocolate
Peppers
Sun
Vitamin B 12
Postive Music
Positive Viewing of TV
Positive People as much as possible
Exercise
Opening Blinds & Shades

Might need to look at hormones, or Ph Levels with a blood test or speak to a therapist if you have something lingering to help address any defincies or misplaced thinking
I've heard of the other stuff, but what about the peppers? Any kind, or are there specific ones that work better than others?

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I've heard of the other stuff, but what about the peppers? Any kind, or are there specific ones that work better than others?
I know red peppers are really full of nutrients that help with all this from what I heard in a few nutrition classes. I just buy red, green, yellow bell peppers chop them up and bag them and set in freezer and grab as needed to try and mix in another dish.

I will not pretend to be an expert I do think tho when I have done better on consistency in my diet with alotta the stuff above I feel way better than when I do not keep up

·
MOTM June 2012
9,330 Posts
I know red peppers are really full of nutrients that help with all this from what I heard in a few nutrition classes. I just buy red, green, yellow bell peppers chop them up and bag them and set in freezer and grab as needed to try and mix in another dish.

I will not pretend to be an expert I do think tho when I have done better on consistency in my diet with alotta the stuff above I feel way better than when I do not keep up
Oh okay. I was wondering if it had to do with endorphins or anything when you eat really really hot peppers.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Oh okay. I was wondering if it had to do with endorphins or anything when you eat really really hot peppers.
I looked it up after you mentioned it because I was curious but yes now that I read what you said and that it did come back to me it helped stimulate the brain with endorphins.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I know what you mean ~ personally I too get meaning and purpose from my belief in God. For me it's something I follow because I see it as logical, and I think one should go with what they believe/know is true rather than what they wish to be so (wishful thinking can only go so far afterall), I also find it provides me with far more meaning and purpose than anything else does. Also, as listed in the tips, prayer has been proven to help reduce stress and anxiety, and is effective as a way to vent and get stuff off your chest...Additionally, as I believe that God can hear prayers (of course He would be able to as our Creator), I find prayer to be truly comforting, and I don't feel alone when I pray. These things really help someone to cope with depression, and in dealing with the feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
Since you quoted a scripture, may I ask, do you read the Bible daily? This is another thing that I find benefits me in multiple ways. I think it's a great idea, and so I'm happy to recommend it to anyone interested.
I do not read it DAILY, I go to bible studies through out the week to study with others, it helps keep me on a routine. But when I read it yes I get a sense of hope, especially out of the book of Ecclesiastes. I've read that book a couple times when I was depressed and it literally helps me realize, there is nothing in this world to truly worry about. I would say it's the best book out there
of course my opinion is bias but I'd still recommend it for depression especially the book of Job and Ecclesiastes.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
I do not read it DAILY, I go to bible studies through out the week to study with others, it helps keep me on a routine. But when I read it yes I get a sense of hope, especially out of the book of Ecclesiastes. I've read that book a couple times when I was depressed and it literally helps me realize, there is nothing in this world to truly worry about. I would say it's the best book out there
of course my opinion is bias but I'd still recommend it for depression especially the book of Job and Ecclesiastes.
That's really good. :) I also find parts of Isaiah and Psalms to be particularly helpful with depression, but there are gems in the form of verses scattered throughout the Bible.

The Bible certainly can help people who are depressed: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/bible-help-depressed/#?insight

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Have problems fighting depression?

Try using psychological warfare.

Reactions: Arcade Firebomb

·
Registered
255 Posts
(Warning: I've only ever seen therapists and never taken medication, so I'm not a professional...)

I once read of a study that revealed that people who strove for happiness as an ideal were more likely to be depressed. It's sort of like being broke and desiring deeply to be a millionaire. I always keep that in mind when I'm feeling down.

When I'm feeling depressed, I often have the urge to turn away and not talk to anyone, and to close my heart, but instead what I do is strike up conversations with people and try to get to know them, and how they're feeling and what they like. It's quite vulnerable really, to turn forward even when you're hurting.

For me, having a small but achievable goal helps, particularly when it's something you're doing everyday, like reading two pages or doing one push-up for example.

Friends who love you and are willing to listen to you even when you feel like crap are balm for the soul.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Using psychological warfare to fight depression.

I'll grant you another chance to get it.
This thread's sole purpose is to help people who suffer from depression. In order for advice to be helpful, the readers of this thread have to be able to understand the information.

"Psychological warfare" is used to reduce the moral of others, not to build up their moral. Could you please explain what you mean by this as advice, or are you actually trolling the depression thread?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
This thread's sole purpose is to help people who suffer from depression. In order for advice to be helpful, the readers of this thread have to be able to understand the information.

"Psychological warfare" is used to reduce the moral of others, not to build up their moral. Could you please explain what you mean by this as advice, or are you actually trolling the depression thread?
((When you try to make depressed people feel better by telling a joke
but they're so depressed that it's taken as mockery))

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
((When you try to make depressed people feel better by telling a joke
but they're so depressed that it's taken as mockery))
~ It's probably a good idea to clarify that it's just a joke, i.e: (joke).

Laughter is good medicine. ;)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
~ It's probably a good idea to clarify that it's just a joke, i.e: (joke).

Laughter is good medicine. ;)
I was trying to give you another chance to get the joke, but alright.

481 - 500 of 540 Posts