Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely hate teachers and professors who assign busy work. Work that keeps your mind occupied, but requires no creativity or learning or challenging thinking. Work that just takes up a lot of your time so you can't spend it doing something else you'd rather be doing.

Sometimes, this type of busy work can be OK because it can be a brief break from mind-probing thinking or a lot o f hard problem- solving. But today, I'm SO annoyed. I don't feel like doing it, but I know I should do it and finish it today because then that way I will have the weekend free and time on Sunday to check my work.

but i need your tips and advice please on how to get through this stupid busy work?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Just wait til you get into the working world.....every job is at least 25% boring tasks :tongue: :frustrating:. I just put music on and try my best to plow through it. It's not something that comes easy to me either, simply due to the sheer dullness of it.

Reactions: perennialurker

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Headphones.
No breaks- it makes coming back to it seem worse.

Reactions: ImNoTJustletters

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't think of it as a waste of time because it isn't: it's grinding for levels.

You'll feel super awesome when you're doing challenging stuff, because you won't be wasting much time or energy on "trivial" processes required to solve the bigger problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Always hated busy work - eventually get into a "rhythm" if the problems or questions are all very simple things requiring little to no actual thought.

My mind sort of goes "This is this, and this equals this! This is this, and this equals this!"

Sometimes I will refuse to do obvious busywork, writing on my paper what I think of the assignment. In college, it's not so much about homework anyways.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would say 90% ofwork is busy work, after you have mastered a field. For instance, if I am doing research, the key decision is what approach to take and what theory to use. After that, it's mostly filling in details. I'm not especially good at that - my edge is in getting the right framework.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
You could think about your overall goal--blowing off detail work could give you bad grades which could limit your options later in life.

And if you just learn to do the busy work, you'll get faster and eventually it will stop getting in your way.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I absolutely hate teachers and professors who assign busy work. Work that keeps your mind occupied, but requires no creativity or learning or challenging thinking. Work that just takes up a lot of your time so you can't spend it doing something else you'd rather be doing.

Sometimes, this type of busy work can be OK because it can be a brief break from mind-probing thinking or a lot o f hard problem- solving. But today, I'm SO annoyed. I don't feel like doing it, but I know I should do it and finish it today because then that way I will have the weekend free and time on Sunday to check my work.

but i need your tips and advice please on how to get through this stupid busy work?
I figure out the fastest most efficient way to do repetitive work and then get it done fast. Don't tell your teacher. If he finds out that you figured out a way to do a 4 hour job in just 1 hour, he's going to search until he found the smallest mistakes in your work and then tell you do it his way.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
This is how:

1 - Understand the end goal and the steps needed to actualize it
2 - Develop a streamlined process to do repetative tasks
3 - Commit it to muscle memory
4 - If you can do it witout thinking, you are now free to let your mind wander

·
Registered
122 Posts
You could also just do it and stop bothering people with it. It suck but eh...what are you gonna do about it? There is no such things as miracles and nobody is gonna do your work for you. Get used to it.

Procrastination is a bitch.

And I don't imply that i'm perfect. This happens to everybody.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
You could also just do it and stop bothering people with it. It suck but eh...what are you gonna do about it? There is no such things as miracles and nobody is gonna do your work for you. Get used to it.

Procrastination is a bitch.

And I don't imply that i'm perfect. This happens to everybody.
Seriously? A problem is thrown in your (INTJ) hands and you react with: Just do your work and don't bother people.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seriously? A problem is thrown in your (INTJ) hands and you react with: Just do your work and don't bother people.
Any better ideas? The only solution I can see to this 'problem' is to do the work. We all hate homework...what have we done in the past to deal with them? (and still today) I surely never ask on a message board how I should do my 'busy work'. (which is a waste of time that could be use for...I don't know...do the assignment)

What he really wants to know is how to get motivated. That's a tough one. You can read about all the 'techniques' you want...To me, there just cute little idea. Sure they might work for some people...but in the end, nothing beats the good old 'kick yourself in the ass and move on' technique.

Call me old-minded but that's how I see things.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Any better ideas? The only solution I can see to this 'problem' is to do the work. We all hate homework...what have we done in the past to deal with them? (and still today) I surely never ask on a message board how I should do my 'busy work'. (which is a waste of time that could be use for...I don't know...do the assignment)

What he really wants to know is how to get motivated. That's a tough one. You can read about all the 'techniques' you want...To me, there just cute little idea. Sure they might work for some people...but in the end, nothing beats the good old 'kick yourself in the ass and move on' technique.

Call me old-minded but that's how I see things.
I think that with "busy work" he meant more like boring repetative work. My suggestion was to figure out a way to do it as fast as possible. Spending an hour in developing a way to do it 4 times as fast as just doing it one after the other and then do it. Makes it more fun and you have time to work on other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts