Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of Enneagram resources characterize Type 6s as those who run with the pack and try to fit in. But I hate conformity. Always have. I feel constant pressure to be like everyone else, and even though I always maintain my individuality, society always says: "You must do xyz to be normal", and that just gets my head spinning.

Let it be known here and now: I do not "run with the pack". I do not plan to ever start conforming- even though some may see that as shooting myself in the foot. And I'm tired of the "conformist" stereotype that 6s often get stuck with.

Anyone else?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I mainly mistyped as a 4 because of this :p....am 6w7 and probably So variant as well. "Running with the pack" has never felt good or even okay for me. Either I never found the right group or I just have a natural aversion to that kind of thing, also conformity...I can't do that. I'm always the odd one out and don't see the point in being anything else, it would be fake, insincere and I can't trust groups for protection. I can only trust myself with that.

Plus :) I like how everyone is an individual, its great like that.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
A lot of Enneagram resources characterize Type 6s as those who run with the pack and try to fit in. But I hate conformity. Always have. I feel constant pressure to be like everyone else, and even though I always maintain my individuality, society always says: "You must do xyz to be normal", and that just gets my head spinning.
You're a counter-phobic six =) Another type probably wouldn't say what I've bolded. As a 7, I feel no pressure whatsoever and the idea just doesn't cross my mind much or "get my head spinning". I'm non-conformist by default. As a CP 6, you seem to be aware of society's wants and go against them.

Sixes are awesome btw =)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Same here.

As a CP 6, you seem to be aware of society's wants and go against them.
bingo

As a 7, I feel no pressure whatsoever and the idea just doesn't cross my mind much or "get my head spinning". I'm non-conformist by default.
lucker

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
No pack running here as well. To be honest not even that loyal either.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
As a CP 6, you seem to be aware of society's wants and go against them.
There's some truth here, definitely. I think part of it is the social instinct, though. "They" keep saying that the social instinct in 6s is usually phobic, but there's gotta be some counterphobic sx-lasters... (plus the so/sx's, since sx-first is generally understood to "almost always be cp.")

I dunno. I'm oblivious to half of society's expectations and aware of (but generally indifferent about) the other half. The idea of maintaining an image is exhausting and pointless to me, yet at the same time I find security in not "sticking out." I had somewhat of a revelation two years ago about why I dress so drab (among other things), and it wasn't exactly about being a 6 "conformist."

Definite phobic here, though not as phobic as some. In general, I'd guess that my obliviousness comes from being soc-last and not having a lot of socialization. I've been known to ask, "Is this okay?" or, "How would this be interpreted?" And... really, I'd say part of the awareness I do have comes with either bad experience or cynicalness of people/society :p

But who knows. Maybe I conform more than I want to admit even to myself.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I generally type out as a phobic six, but I do have a counterphobic side (why the hell someone can't be both is beyond me). I'm strange with anxiety- most situations I desperately want to escape from, others, I tend to run right into.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're a counter-phobic six =) Another type probably wouldn't say what I've bolded. As a 7, I feel no pressure whatsoever and the idea just doesn't cross my mind much or "get my head spinning". I'm non-conformist by default. As a CP 6, you seem to be aware of society's wants and go against them.

Sixes are awesome btw =)
I love going against society! It is so much fun. But it won't win me a popularity contest, that is for sure (not that I'd want that).

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No pack running here as well. To be honest not even that loyal either.
Loyalty can be a strange concept. Loyalty can be expressed as "sticking with something, for better or worse". Can be a person, group, ideal, belief system, etc. Ever stayed in a situation longer than you wished because you felt obliged to stick around? That can be an example of loyalty.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Let it be known here and now: I do not "run with the pack". I do not plan to ever start conforming- even though some may see that as shooting myself in the foot. And I'm tired of the "conformist" stereotype that 6s often get stuck with.

Anyone else?
The social 6's are often like this, but the SX sixes are often quite the contrary.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I generally type out as a phobic six, but I do have a counterphobic side (why the hell someone can't be both is beyond me). I'm strange with anxiety- most situations I desperately want to escape from, others, I tend to run right into.
Most 6s are like this. A lot of descriptions (or, the more decent ones) will say that they switch "modes" from cp to phobic, but that other 6s "pick" one.

Example:
There are many Sixes who adopt neither an exclusively phobic nor counterphobic approach. Such Sixes switch modes, so to speak, depending on the amount of stress they are experiencing. Most Sixes, however, have a preferred or dominant approach which colors all of their dealings with the world and which is generally readily recognizable to others.
I'm much like you. My first instinct is generally of the "flight" response (phobic), but there are a sizable number of situations in which I will "fight" (counterphobic).

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Imo phobic and counterphobic doesn't translate into this sort of thing. Counterphobes are defined by "reacting to fear in a going towards way without really thinking over the consequences".

Simplified: "That thing scares me so I'm going to go over there and kick it's ass."

In contrast phobic 6-es are cautious and prefer to avoid what is scary. o.o I don't see how this translates in following the pack or not. Both sub-versions seem like they could go one way or the other, depending on how they perceive the group.

Most 6es are a mix of both. Same goes for me.

Phobics would seem like they would prefer to avoid drawing attention by protesting, so they might silently diverge and not comply, while counterphobes may just rebel visibly against it. If the 6 is a mix then both may manifest under different conditions.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It's true sixes are rebellious but we are also known for being loyal and we might not run with the pack per say, but our chosen path or pack of our choosing. If you think of running with the pack as religious affiliations, significant others, a quest of intelligence on a given subject, being loyal to what we put our minds to, etc. then maybe in that sense a 6 runs with the pack.

It's our Achilles's heel. Although we do questions many things and even our loyalties and go as far as demonstrating where we stand, we still can get hung up on particular loyalties. Even the counter phobic 6, although very demonstrative in their rebellion, and often anti authoritative have loyalties they are subject to. For instance, the loyalty to their own conscious, or the loyalty to not showing their fear, or to facing their fears, even when deemed unnecessary by most. I wouldn't even consider it loyalty as much as it would be considered overly obsessive, overly engaged, overly hyper...etc. I don't think a 6 runs with most packs, and we definitely think of group dynamics and test people, but we are also known for not letting go (loyalty).

As for my personal experience sometimes I feel like (nerdy nerdy reference) 7 of 9 leaving the Borg and trying to think for herself and cope without sharing her thought with the Borg. We can be counter phobic but still get our strings pulled. Because even if rebellious we are loyal to that rebellion.

I just try and remember more often than not we benefit from integrating like a 9. And 9s are aloof to a lot of the stuff we discuss and choose to ignore it and they key to that, is they are okay.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The social 6's are often like this, but the SX sixes are often quite the contrary.
So, to clarify, are you saying the social sixes display the type of thinking I outlined above (or did you say the opposite)? Some of my tests come out so/sp/sx. Makes no sense why so comes up first- I've said it a zillion times now- I can't stand the idea of doing what everyone else does, just because it's normal. And generally, I stick to my guns. But I've had irrational guilt over this course of action many times (I try to think of the guilt as excessive noise in my mind- if I don't give the damn thing the attention it wants, it will stop being such an issue, eventually. I hope).

I think the order that makes more sense for me is: sp/so/sx (or maybe even sp/sx/so, but that one seems less likely for me). I look out for me first, because if I can't help/defend myself, then how can I help or defend someone else? And I often feel like if there is a purpose to my life, then it is to stand up for those who are unable/unwilling to do so, and give guidance if appropriate. Or show by example. Or, most likely, let people figure things out their own way. But if I can help someone else assert themselves better, then I feel like I've fulfilled a purpose.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
So, to clarify, are you saying the social sixes display the type of thinking I outlined above (or did you say the opposite)? Some of my tests come out so/sp/sx. Makes no sense why so comes up first- I've said it a zillion times now- I can't stand the idea of doing what everyone else does, just because it's normal. And generally, I stick to my guns. But I've had irrational guilt over this course of action many times (I try to think of the guilt as excessive noise in my mind- if I don't give the damn thing the attention it wants, it will stop being such an issue, eventually. I hope).

I think the order that makes more sense for me is: sp/so/sx (or maybe even sp/sx/so, but that one seems less likely for me). I look out for me first, because if I can't help/defend myself, then how can I help or defend someone else? And I often feel like if there is a purpose to my life, then it is to stand up for those who are unable/unwilling to do so, and give guidance if appropriate. Or show by example. Or, most likely, let people figure things out their own way. But if I can help someone else assert themselves better, then I feel like I've fulfilled a purpose.
You sound like you are self-pres first. You are not social first and I can guarantee that.

Reactions: Steel Magnolia

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You sound like you are self-pres first. You are not social first and I can guarantee that.
Oh, I know I'm not social first.

Tests have flaws. Sometimes, the best answers come from asking yourself very honest questions (and answering them honestly), rather than anything a test could provide.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Oh, I know I'm not social first.

Tests have flaws. Sometimes, the best answers come from asking yourself very honest questions (and answering them honestly), rather than anything a test could provide.
See I am social first, so I know.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I don't like 'running with the pack' too, and neither I do.

I feel exactly the same like you.

Reactions: Steel Magnolia

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I don't like 'running with the pack' too, and neither I do.

I feel exactly the same like you.
I run with the pack because it makes me feel safe.

Reactions: Inguz
1 - 20 of 43 Posts