Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I've rethought my type waaaaay too many times now, but I'm really thinking that I may be an ENTP. I think that when I first came here, I mainly shaped my personality to the ENFP stereotypes. Although, I can relate to both ENTP and ENFP a little. I know for fucking sure that Ne is my dominant function.
I want to do this from a clean perspective. And I don't want people to just comment and tell me something like, "you're totally an ENFP, how the hell are you doubting your type?!?"
No...I want real answers, people!

In the past, I could relate much more to ENFPs, but right now I feel like I could relate more to ENTPs. It also seems as if the 'feeler' in me could be Fe. I use tact when speaking with people and I am careful not to hurt peoples' feelings. Although I do have a part of me that more-so appreciates honesty and straight-forwardness. But if you're particularly skilled, you should be able to be honest while keeping people from getting angry or somethin' lmao.

I somewhat get Fe and Te, and I can see a little bit of both in myself. Their cousins, Fi and Ti, are elusive creatures that transcend my level of understanding. I had assumed, based on some descriptions, that I use Fi, but to be honest, I don't get the concept of analyzing things based on 'values'. And I don't get how someone can make a decision based on feelings, anyway. But anyone can enlighten me on what that really means. Maybe I do that and I just don't realize it. I have a hard time looking inside myself sometimes :crazy:

I may sound like an ignoramus with this paragraph, but it's worth it. I feel passionate about certain things such as music and art and it's something that I can't really explain in words. Is that more of a feeler thing or perhaps an Fi thing? Or is there really no connection at all?

I don't know what else to say as it seems that a lot of traits could be shared, but their motivation would be where the difference is. I've read a lot about MBTI and Jungian functions and whatnot, but all it does is make me question more...

I think that if I am an ENTP, I use my Fe pretty well. And if I'm an ENFP, I use my Te pretty well. I don't really know for sure :unsure:
...anyone have any insight?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
My Fi generally shows itself by being quiet and conflict-avoidant until something comes up to set it off. For example, I was meeting my cousin's fiance and hadn't really said anything until he said something against my values (revolving around gender roles). It was only then that I said more than five words in one sentence and all of it arguing against his point. Fi also drives me to work for something I believe in, like volunteering at a hospital. I'm not sure how it would work for an extrovert... I would imagine it would cause you to want to make a change using all of the ideas Ne conjures up and give you more of a focus and knowledge of self.

ENTPs are more the type to argue either because the other person is being illogical/stupid or for the sake of arguing. Being passionate about something isn't "just" for Feelers. ENTPs can totally be passionate, often getting "caught up" in things until they lose interest.

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ethical values and all that stuff, but I don't know how much importance they really take in my life is all.
I usually won't argue just for the sake of arguing. Most of the time I'll only argue with someone if I think they're wrong or yeah...stupid...or, misinformed.
It seems like someone with Fe would also be driven to volunteer, perhaps.
I've considered volunteering with children. I'm not driven for change or for using my Ne with things that have to do with values or ethics or people.

I didn't mean passion as in emotion, I meant it more in the...never mind, I can't really find the word :bored:
I'm hoping that maybe some ENFPs can answer also xD

Also, how do you make a decision based on feeling? lol

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I have ethical values and all that stuff, but I don't know how much importance they really take in my life is all.
I usually won't argue just for the sake of arguing, but I'm not against it. Most of the time I'll only argue with someone if I think they're wrong or yeah...stupid...or, misinformed.
I've considered volunteering with children. But I don't think my Ne works with Fi like that. I'm not driven for change or for using my Ne with things that have to do with values or ethics or people.

I didn't mean passion as in emotion, I meant it more in the...never mind, I can't really find the word :bored:

Well, the difference between Fi values and Fe ethics is that Fe generally adheres to what society says is right. Fi, on the other hand, adheres to what you think is right. Imagine society says, "Marriage should be arranged." If one was a strong Fe user, one wouldn't imagine going against an arranged marriage. But if one was a strong Fi user, they may believe this is wrong and marry anyone they want.

Fe would be the type to volunteer, but I would guess an ENTP would do it more for the learning experience rather than merely helping people. I think I read that Fe in ENTPs work more as a manipulative tool: they can be charming, friendly, kind if they want something from you. Also, it'll make them a little protective of people... so don't piss them off.

I found this thread on Google. Hopefully it'll help a bit.

Hopefully a true ENTP will post and give you insight as to what they're like :crazy: Much more effective than me trying to guess their motivations.

EDIT:
Oops, I forgot to answer your last question! Let's see, how do I make a decision? I'm too Sixish to solely rely on how I feel about something. I tend to weigh all the options, wonder which would be better, which is expected (sounds Fe, but for me it's more about fear of rejection). First, though, I decide if it's against something I believe. Say I wanted to turn on the air conditioning. I don't like A/C... I see it as something most of America uses far too much for no reason other than pure comfort. This is something I feel strongly about. So, if I wanted to turn it on, I would ask myself several questions. Is it hot enough? Are fans and few clothes not enough? Am I practically having a heatstroke, or am I just uncomfortable? How is my breathing (I have health problems), is it compromised any from the heat/humidity? Has it been a prolonged heat wave, like more than three days? How long would I need to have it on... could I just turn it off in a few hours?

I know, I think far too much... -_-

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Descriptions of ENTPs that I've read say that they are the most reluctant of all types to do things because that's the way they've always been done. I would think that their Ti would play a part.

My desire to volunteer with children really has less to do with ethics than with the fact that I actually have a bit of a nurturing soul in me haha :blushed:

...Dammit...That thread is freaking long!! But I'm gonna read it and make another post here, thanks :happy:
PS: It's probably gonna take me a while to read that whole thing...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ENFPs express Fi differently than INFPs, and Te differently than a TJ.

Fe in ENTP, in my experience, comes out in two ways. Either they have a silver tongue and can speak perfectly and properly however the situation calls for. They chameleon very well into any scenario and, better or worse, can be extremely persuasive. Otherwise, it comes out by testing reactions in people. ENTPs seem to learn better by throwing their ideas and studyingthe reaction they get.

ENFPs tend to use Te by becoming very controlling of situations and demanding of people. Sorry, I didn't mean to phrase that harshly and as above can be for better or worse. NeFi determines the course, and Te will make it happen hell or high water.

I've heard ENFPs describe Fi as where they go when they need answers. Ne, as with any extraverted function, will keep going from topic to topic, idea to idea. Fi serves as a compass, so to speak, to keep Ne pointed in the correct direction. Fi pointing towards what you want and what you consider to be good and right. Ti reigns Ne by pointing to what makes sense.

I have an ENFP sister, and a coworker who was ENTP. Just a quick anecdote, the ENTP chose his career based on the availability of work after college and the amount of pay the job offered. He likes his work, but he's the kind of person who finds learning most anything new exciting. His passion is second to what makes sense for a career choice.

My sister, on the other hand, took her career choice because she loves the work she does. She struggles with finaces, but the thought of having a job that feels like a job is suffocating. She's looking for the textbook Fi authenticity by doing what she thinks she's best at, and something she is passionate about.

Obviously, that's not the only end result of either Fi or Ti, just trying to illustrate the thought processes that led them there. As usual anecdote, grain of salt, etc etc.

Well, the difference between Fi values and Fe ethics is that Fe generally adheres to what society says is right. Fi, on the other hand, adheres to what you think is right. Imagine society says, "Marriage should be arranged." If one was a strong Fe user, one wouldn't imagine going against an arranged marriage. But if one was a strong Fi user, they may believe this is wrong and marry anyone they want.
I need to make a distinction. Fe is not about upholding societal values. Fe is about judging based on how people work together. In an ideal sense, Fe would want to make the external interactions of people run smootly as to make the people feel better themselves. Contrast with ideal Fi in which the goal is to make the individual feel better, so the interactions between everyone run more smootly. They both are harmonizing and empathizing judging funtions, but in converse directions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I am an ENFP and my best friend, ex boyfriend and sister are all ENTPs..i know I wonder myself why I am so attracted to this type! I think the major difference is definitely, not to simplify it too much, but how we make decisions for sure, simple as that. I always make sure to use extreme tact with what I say and take others feelings into account. For instance, if one would ask me they looked good in what they were wearing i would say something like, "Hmm I really like the outfit, but perhaps this or that will look even better...blah blah blah" However, my sister does not see how she should alter the content to cater to someones feelings, she argues that what we are saying is essentially the same so why say the bs? But I feel that even if we both try to say the same thing, being "right" or being bluntly correct is not always necessary when communicating with people. Others have insecurities or are sensitive and I take this into account, while ENTPs naturally do not.
Also, if some one messes with my friend or does something to hurt them, I become VERY protective. If I see that person, maybe I wont say something but I WILL NOT go and be openly nice to them. If I see wrongdoing done, and especially to my friend, I believe in loyalty and I back my friend up 100%. However, my bf, sis, and bff will act casual and fine, and do not see why they would should act differently bc the other person did nothing to them personally...so rational!!!
So sorry for the rant, but I notice people interpreting and analyzing these F versus T functions, but its very apparent in just everyday decisions and especially when communicating with other people. Sometimes it is frustrating if there is a conflict between me and them, but it is very refreshing to hear their perspective when I am in a conflict or dealing with an interpersonal issue with someone else; i always find myself saying "wow, i would never have thought they were acting that way...etc" So, they keep me grounded in a sense, because we have lots of fun, and debate issues, and love spontaneity and are not judgmental, but when I begin to make wrong assumptions and my idealism and imaginations get the best of me they offer me some sound, realistic, logical advice. On the other side of the spectrum, they appreciate me because their harsh words and blunt actions can offend people, and i offer good advice on how to approach people and word things better in order to get their point across effectively so another person will see their view without being offended.

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOTE: I'm horrible with introspection. I've noticed that about myself. And I really don't enjoy it, at all...
So I don't really know how good my posts are gonna be...

ENFPs tend to use Te by becoming very controlling of situations and demanding of people. Sorry, I didn't mean to phrase that harshly and as above can be for better or worse. NeFi determines the course, and Te will make it happen hell or high water.
Oh, I don't care about 'harsh phrasing' hehe. I can relate to that, though. That's were the enneagram 8 in me comes from, partly.
I've heard ENFPs describe Fi as where they go when they need answers. Ne, as with any extraverted function, will keep going from topic to topic, idea to idea. Fi serves as a compass, so to speak, to keep Ne pointed in the correct direction. Fi pointing towards what you want and what you consider to be good and right. Ti reigns Ne by pointing to what makes sense.
My Ne just goes from topic to topic, I have a hard time keeping it from doing so...
If I keep it invested in something, it's just because I find that thing interesting enough.

I have an ENFP sister, and a coworker who was ENTP. Just a quick anecdote, the ENTP chose his career based on the availability of work after college and the amount of pay the job offered. He likes his work, but he's the kind of person who finds learning most anything new exciting. His passion is second to what makes sense for a career choice.

My sister, on the other hand, took her career choice because she loves the work she does. She struggles with finaces, but the thought of having a job that feels like a job is suffocating. She's looking for the textbook Fi authenticity by doing what she thinks she's best at, and something she is passionate about.
I would pay attention to both of those factors. What I think I would get the most out of, and how smart it actually is. That's why I'm not really planning on doing art or music as a career anymore. Anyway, it's not like I can't still do those even if I do something else as a career. And besides, my ideal career would most likely not be one of those...

·
Banned
118 Posts
deep inside your chin (hearts are overrated) do you feel like a t or a f ?
(serious clean buisness office question)

like is there a difference between what you are and what you would like to be or something? o_O

I'm saying that because I've been
Sorry if this post is absolutely not helpful at all. :dry:

I'm saying that cuz I've been wondering the same thing, however it did seem easier to be ENTP so I was wondering maybe I'm like that too but finally nope I'm just some oversensitive person. :(

You don't really seem to me like a ENTP, however most of the ENTP I know are guys and anyways its not like i know you a lot xD

edit: i just realized i put a lot of ''I'' in this post and now i feel self-centered lol :p

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the major difference is definitely, not to simplify it too much, but how we make decisions for sure, simple as that. I always make sure to use extreme tact with what I say and take others feelings into account. For instance, if one would ask me they looked good in what they were wearing i would say something like, "Hmm I really like the outfit, but perhaps this or that will look even better...blah blah blah" However, my sister does not see how she should alter the content to cater to someones feelings, she argues that what we are saying is essentially the same so why say the bs? But I feel that even if we both try to say the same thing, being "right" or being bluntly correct is not always necessary when communicating with people. Others have insecurities or are sensitive and I take this into account, while ENTPs naturally do not.
I'm more prone to using tact, but I'll be the first to admit that it seems like it's usually for more selfish reasons...Such as, I don't want to cause friction or something or get anyone upset. But if it's with my family members, then yeah, I don't want to hurt their feelings hehe

Also, if some one messes with my friend or does something to hurt them, I become VERY protective. If I see that person, maybe I wont say something but I WILL NOT go and be openly nice to them. If I see wrongdoing done, and especially to my friend, I believe in loyalty and I back my friend up 100%. However, my bf, sis, and bff will act casual and fine, and do not see why they would should act differently bc the other person did nothing to them personally...so rational!!!
That, I'm not sure about...
It really depends on the exact situation. I have no problem confronting people if I think that they weren't really being just, or something. I can name one situation: This guy was harassing my sister and I really wanted to confront him. My sister stopped me, for some reason. I don't really think that was rational since she didn't want him to keep bothering her and confronting him was the only way to stop it xD
Another situation: My next door neighbor said something that really made my mom sad or embarrassed...it made her cry and that really hurt me also. I didn't really get why it made her that unhappy, but it hurt me and I wanted to confront the neighbor :crying:

deep inside your chin (hearts are overrated) do you feel like a t or a f ?
(serious clean buisness office question)
I dunno!! In the past, I'd certainly say I was much more of a feeler, but I have no idea...

·
Banned
166 Posts
You're a ENFP doubting about being ENTP who feels like a INTP but not a INFP.
That's cool :O

Maybe you're a ENFP who developped her T side too and all that o_O

ENTP girls tend to be more vulgar and obsessed by sex than you xD
Or maybe are you hiding all that stuff from me because you know that I'm your mommy ? :mellow:

but you're not enfp cause enfps like spongebob

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I'm trying to figure out lol
I probably am an ENFP with a developed Te, but I dunno...

If you hang around more on these boards, you'll see how horny I am :happy:

but you're not enfp cause enfps like spongebob
All I hear when I think 'Spongebob' is "I'M READY! I'M READY!! I'M READY!!! I'M READY!!!!"
...No, you're not ready. I will shoot you!!

I know that thread that was linked talks about Fe, but I'm just putting this out there: One thing that has made me debate whether I'm an ENTP is that I'm not really expressive with my emotions and I have a hard time expressing them to people. I also can't handle it when other people get too emotional. But this is something that's been the fact lately more than in the past. I've heard that ENFPs generally 'wear their hearts on their sleeves'.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Making decisions using feelings" means making decisions taking into account individual, humanistic elements. I get the sense that some "thinkers" see "feelers" as these impulse-driven emotional basketcases that slow down the system for everyone else--but it seems to me that "feelers" are simply less likely to emphasize the quantitative and more likely to emphasize the qualitative elements of a situation...and "the system" absolutely needs both.

I think that dominant Ne is enough to draw anyone toward art, regardless of F or T...it seems to me that art is a way to make sense of all the jumbled up ideas we take in constantly, to make something real and valuable so we don't get lost in the flux. What are you trying to express with your art--emotions, individuality, the human spirit (Fi) or more philosophical, political, etc. ideas (Ti)?

It may also be helpful to try to guess your tertiary function, especially when you're less healthy--at your worst, are you more prone toward controlling your environment (Te) or the people in your environment (Fe)?

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may also be helpful to try to guess your tertiary function, especially when you're less healthy--at your worst, are you more prone toward controlling your environment (Te) or the people in your environment (Fe)?
When I'm less healthy, I'm more likely to just isolate myself from people altogether.
How would those manifest themselves, though? At my worst, I try to keep people away from me by being controlling with them or by lashing out at them...I dunno...
I've had OCD tendencies in the past, I dunno if that would go with 'controlling the environment'...

·
Banned
166 Posts
When I'm less healthy, I'm more likely to just isolate myself from people altogether.
I used to do that too...

ENTP would be more starting to be agressive to everyone and not giving a banana about others and all...
Unless the ENTP I know just a jerk lol. I'm not an expert in ENTPs x

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ENTP would be more starting to be agressive to everyone and not giving a banana about others and all...
I do that too, but I don't know if it has anything to do with my type...
If I'm stressed out, I'll pretend that I don't care about anything and if anyone tries to talk to me, I'll push them away. I try to keep them away so that I don't have to talk about anything...
I've said some pretty harsh things when I've been EXTREMELY stressed out lol

·
Registered
733 Posts
Comparing simply T and F can be a challenge since most people do use both. It's just that we rely on one more than the other. What is more concrete is our temperaments. So let's re-examine what your temperament might be: NT vs NF.

One of the NT's central values is competence and the drive to excel at whatever they do. They are on a quest for knowledge and are motivated by challenges. NFs see life as a journey of self discovery, a search for meaning. NFs also place a high value on uniqueness and originality and it is very important for them to feel connected with others.

It's not a complete description so you'll have to look into the two temperaments in depth. Hopefully you'll be able to identify with one more than the other.

·
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You're an ENFP.
But why do you say that?

Note: It doesn't really help much to say what type you think I am without saying why...

By the way, I am very tactful with my words and I don't want to hurt peoples' feelings, but couldn't that be either Fe or Fi?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I usually won't argue just for the sake of arguing. Most of the time I'll only argue with someone if I think they're wrong or yeah...stupid...or, misinformed.
I've considered volunteering with children. I'm not driven for change or for using my Ne with things that have to do with values or ethics or people.

I'm hoping that maybe some ENFPs can answer also xD

Fi in ENFP's is kind of hard to explain. However, usually most Fi users find it very easy to express their emotions, and are eager to express them. You on the other hand, I've read in several threads, don't seem to readily express your emotions at all nor do you feel the need to express them at all. Also, Fi users often get offended easily at others comments. You on the other hand do not seem to take what others say personally at all. You also seem to think with a lot of logic instead of emotion. Although you may claim that you use a lot of Fi, I think that your Ti beats the Fi any day.

NOTE: I'm horrible with introspection. I've noticed that about myself. And I really don't enjoy it, at all...
So I don't really know how good my posts are gonna be...

Oh, I don't care about 'harsh phrasing' hehe. I can relate to that, though. That's were the enneagram 8 in me comes from, partly.
My Ne just goes from topic to topic, I have a hard time keeping it from doing so...
If I keep it invested in something, it's just because I find that thing interesting enough.

I would pay attention to both of those factors. What I think I would get the most out of, and how smart it actually is. That's why I'm not really planning on doing art or music as a career anymore. Anyway, it's not like I can't still do those even if I do something else as a career. And besides, my ideal career would most likely not be one of those...
This absolutely wreaks of Ti and not Fi. Also, you don't seem to be an extrovert either. Hell, I once heard a guy commenting on your page that "You have to stop being by yourself so much. You have to be around people." This does not sound like an extrovert at all. You seem prefer your own company to other people's. This is a clear sign of an introvert.

In conclusion, you use a lot of Ne and Ti and I don't really know you in person, and haven't really seen it much in you, but you claim that you use a lot of Fi. So I will believe you. However, I believe you are an INTP.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts