• Like to cuddle.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • Don't like to cuddle.

Votes: 13 12.6%

To Cuddle or Not to Cuddle?

[ISTP] 
22K views 54 replies 42 participants last post by  6007 
#1 ·
Do you enjoy cuddling with your significant other?

***ISTP VOTES ONLY PLEASE***

#2 ·
I have a really hard time being good with words to express how I feel about someone, so more obvious body language signs are better for me.

The Form of the Inferior - ITPs

Thinking types' emotional expression lacks the differentiation and subtlety of feeling seen in well differentiated Feeling types. When positive feelings are involved, they may seem maudlin and sentimental. One INTP said she becomes �mushy, sentimental, very outwardly emotional, and unpredictably so.� A young ISTP said, �At times I feel really emotional when I'm by myself thinking about things that normally wouldn't bother me.� With greater intensity, inferior Feeling comes out as raw, extreme emotion.

#4 ·
Definitely.

I'm the worst at expressing myself verbally...believe it or not, I've never expressed my true feelings(except for when I've been pissed at someone) verbally. I got really close once. A good friend of mine(at the time) that I had known for around three years, decided to open up and spill her guts to me. She told me some/all of her darkest secrets, some that not even her family knew...I decided I'd open up too for the first time ever, and let me tell you, it was like a war was going on inside my head. It was like everything I had kept locked away was on the tip of my tongue, but my body refused to let me speak. My head was spinning, my jaw was clinched shut, and it was the most uncomfortable I've been since I can remember...by the time I fought all of that off enough to speak I wasn't willing to open up anymore and the conversation had changed topics.

So...the way I express myself is mostly physically(I also express myself somewhat, through "Acts of Service"). Standing closer to the person, allowing them to touch me, just being physically close. If I cuddle with someone, it definitely means something and it's something I really enjoy. Too much of it is a bad thing, though. Cuddling for hours at a time, everyday....forget it.

#10 ·
...believe it or not, I've never expressed my true feelings(except for when I've been pissed at someone) verbally...I decided I'd open up too for the first time ever, and let me tell you, it was like a war was going on inside my head. It was like everything I had kept locked away was on the tip of my tongue, but my body refused to let me speak.

So...the way I express myself is mostly physically(I also express myself somewhat, through "Acts of Service"). Standing closer to the person, allowing them to touch me, just being physically close. If I cuddle with someone, it definitely means something and it's something I really enjoy. Too much of it is a bad thing, though. Cuddling for hours at a time, everyday....forget it.
Yes.
Cuddling expresses a lot more than words ever manage.
This is consistent w/ my experience with an ISTP. Cuddling is a big deal for him, and he's expressed things physically that he doesn't seem to be able to express verbally. Even expressing them physically seems difficult for him, and takes a lot of time and trust.

Thank you guys so much for sharing. : ) It teaches us a lot about you.

#5 ·
I'm apparently so good at cuddling (others) that girls want me to open my private scratching clinic XD I'm not that comfortable getting touched by others though. And whenever the other wanted to cuddle and hug all during the night I couldn't sleep. I need space to lie like a parachute jumper and take over the whole bed.

#17 ·
I do that too. In the beginning of our relationship my ISTP and I used to fall asleep on our sides turned to each other and holding hands. Then one of us would wake up and turn over and then we'd both end up on either side of the bed sleeping like free fallers. Neither of us like to sleep cuddled up as it gets too hot and clammy, and we both almost always sleep on our stomachs.

#6 ·
Aside from the obvious emotional reasons, I enjoy the feeling of my wife in my arms, her body against mine, the smell of her hair, the rhythm of her breathing, and so on.

But, like I said in the other topic, it's not something I can usually do for long periods before I need space. A long cuddle for us is usually around 10 minutes. In the rare event that we both pass out, I wake up shortly after and need to move. I need my space when I'm sleeping.

#8 ·
Minus the 'wife' part, you pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I excel at showing my feelings through actions, but suck at doing so with words. There's nothing better than cuddling for short periods of time. I can't sleep a wink if I'm stuck in a cuddle. I need space to sleep, and lots of it.

#18 ·
i am VERY particular about who touches me. i'm not a "cuddler" per se, although I do like physical affection, just only when I'm in the mood, and only when it's not slowing me down or I'm busy. If i'm watching a movie or sleeping or in public, I don't want to be touched. Really I only like being touched when my emotions are getting the best of me and bubbling to the surface. Even during sex, I don't care that it's that affectionate....I guess I'm a hooker, cuz I don't kiss on the mouth...hahaha! (that's a joke) but seriously, i don't really ever want to just make out or snuggle for hours. Maybe 90 seconds. as for kissing, a quick smooch is fine. I do like a hand on my arm or back or shoulder by people i care a lot for, that's about it though.

Edit: Although I do like it when my husband puts his foot up against mine when we're sleeping. That's about as cuddly as I get.

#20 ·
Me too!! I get a little devil in me that wants to poke or pinch or startle the other person when they start getting all relaxed and settled down.

#22 ·
My SO is an ISTP and I've noticed that he likes to cuddle a lot at times, but other times he needs a lot of space. One of the things that sometimes bothers me is that he doesn't want to hold me for more than about 20 seconds even when I'm crying - he seems to fidget a lot and want to move around or let go. When we're walking together he wants to maintain a one-foot distance between us and rarely if ever holds my hand, apparently because he doesn't want to lose balance. It's an unusual form of physical affection to me (and my strong Ne), but not cold or distant.

But about the playful/curiosity, that is so him! Every time we're cuddling he ends up making loud smacking noises against my lips, jiggling my boobs, playing with my hair, poking me, lifting me up and swinging me around, positioning me bodily in odd ways (I'm very light and he's a rather big guy), licking my cheek, biting my ears, gnawing on my arm, flapping my arms around, clapping my hands together, or using my hands to make gestures.

#24 ·
so it seems my hypothesis from the other thread is correct! you ISTps are awesome cuddlers (or whatever term you'd like to use to describe that -- I agree that the word is somewhat annoying, but what else do you call that activity?)

ISTPs are comfort focused so it really makes sense.

#26 ·
Oh my gosh my ex/friend/dating (complicated) ISTP is nicknamed the cuddle monster. Cuddle cuddle cuddle and HUG HUG HUG HUG all the time. Also random tickling (I will pit you!) and hand holding all the time.

And such a tough man, no one would ever have guessed! It was our secret - you all don't know us so I'll share for the benefit of all the people trying to figure out ISTPs (you never really will).

For one that he loves... That was definitely his way of expressing love (and acts of service of course) and it is great. Such a physical connection...

And oh my gosh - backrubs!! Willing and eager to give all the time.

#32 ·
I love back rubs, but I can never get them either. My siblings are too busy mooching back rubs out of me, instead of sharing the love. Jerks!

#34 ·
Yes, I like to cuddle with my gf. My gf knows me. I wouldn't mind and she seem to not care about it. She seem surprise when I take the initial cuddle. I have a hard time expressing/controlling my emotion. When I expressed my emotion through word, it become weird - I tend to say weird stuff, don't know if this is normal for istp. Getting close with touch, hug, or cuddling is hard because in my head, I cant tell what she want me to do. I just go ahead and do it. Usually just take a chance or try to follow her many cue/signal. (she is an intj)

#38 ·
Most of the time I don't like people all up in my grill. I like to lie side by side with my Mr, but I can get fidgety after 10 minutes or so, depending on my mood. I guess I am not much of a cuddler. I really love to hug my Mr, or touch him in general. I always want to give him massages, but he really doesn't ever want them, whereas I am a massage whore, I love love love being touched. I just don't always like lying still with others, or in stupid positions that hurt my neck and body, or being overwhelmed by their body heat.

#39 ·
I love love love being touched. I just don't always like lying still with others, or in stupid positions that hurt my neck and body, or being overwhelmed by their body heat.
Yeah, me too. Why is it that in movies people always end up smushed up together in comfortable positions? I've rarely found one I could stay in for long.

Reactions: 6007
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.