Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • What do you think about having goals and not having goals?
  • Which do you think is a better way of meeting the preferred part of your potential?

Banned words in this thread: #procrastination #unmotivated (and any derivatives of these).

Video: [video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/53629816[/video]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
If it something attainable, then I guess having a goal is fine. But if it is something naive and stupid you're really just kidding yourself.

I'm not big on having goals past necessities.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
When I don't have any goals, I get so fucking bored. I hate the feeling of stagnation, of wasting away in pointlessness. I need to be mentally stimulated, but I have to direct that stimulation toward that which benefits me. I can stimulate myself by searching for Game of Thrones videos on a torrent site or arguing with a 12 year old about the proper way to pronounce Gandalf on YouTube, but I'd rather use what I have to write a poem, learn an interesting fact, examine a belief, finish some school work, and so on. I think, the best way I go about the goals I want to reach, is simply breaking those goals into smaller parts, taking breaks in between, and working throughout the day, so I don't feel drained, and can still enjoy some pointless activities.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Its not entirely about goals but it does talk about them some.

Thanks, I'd forgotten that I want to read that.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I find at this stage of life, to start accomplishing anything big I need goals.

The problem is that I'm not really a linear thinker/mover. I have to allow myself some flexibility, yet keep a fire under my toes in order to accomplish anything. Otherwise I just never finish it. Yet I find I can't adhere to a goal plan that is too strict, I need flex to accommodate new info and circumstances. I don't actually finish things, though, unless I have deadlines.

A lof of my plans are more complicated and "large," as well... so it helps to have some kind of structure where I break them down into subtasks, then work to accomplish each. Otherwise I get overwhelmed.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like having goals, but the challenge to me is to keep them genuine, to be things I actually want to do or to accomplish, and to reconsider or scrap them when they start to go stale. Since I always found the process of setting goals to be a bit of an affectation, I only developed the ability to set meaningful goals slowly. I had to start rather small.

On that subject, here's a book by a (likely) ENTP that describes a system that kinda worked for me. The main issue I had following it (besides the ones he described) was in overestimating the energy I had available to devote to it. After awhile I had to pare my organizational ambitions down a bit, to sacrifice some detail and functionality in favor of something simpler to maintain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have tried many times to set goals for myself but they just don't work out for me. I change my mind too much and goals make me feel like I'm confining myself to one path, one end result. I don't like the feeling of being tied down to the responsibility of doing this and that by this time. And I just can't seem to "trick" myself into following some plan that I made up and be all like "write 3 pages of this paper in the next hour and get to eat this cake!" I'll just eat the cake and write 3 pages when I write 3 pages.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I don't set good goals. All the goals I had in the past (very few of them accomplished) turned out to not be what I really wanted. I think goals are limiting anyway. I rather wander aimlessly and be open to whatever comes my way.

Also, one sets goals if he wants something. I want nothing.

Reactions: DemonD

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've read around a lot about this a few months ago. INTP's without a challenge or goal tend to become "potatoes" and sometimes depressed.

From personal experience I've realized that a life without a goal or direction to be very empty and unsatisfying.

I know I've spent a good two years with no desire to make anything of myself. I don't regret those years though. I think I learned some very important life lessons about who I am and where I want to be because of if. If I had done something different or narrowly scraped by I don't think I would have learned anything, but I still can't help think about how much time I wasted doing nothing.

I don't believe you have to live up to your potential, but at the very least be working towards something that you believe is satisfying and is enough of a challenge, whatever that may be.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think setting goals is a really healthy thing to do. I am a bit of an absurdist, and it can be a little difficult to handle all my... cynicism? jadedness? without goals to lend a little healthy faux-meaning. Honestly, the actual attainment of the goal is not that important to me; the only thing that's important to me pertaining goals is time-wasting, which sucks because it's something I do so much. (Oops, I think I just broke the rule... sorry!!) My goals are usually not all-or-nothing; they're usually to learn about something or get better at something, so even giving up halfway leaves me a better person than I was before.

·
Registered
438 Posts
INTPs with many interests -- do you find you spend more time trying to decide what your interests are, and what priority each has in your life, and how they may overlap, and planning how you should schedule times to spend on each of these interests, than really DOING anything productive? Concerning things such as music, visual arts, journalism, environmental issues, I will read, consider scheduling a class, web surf, watch cable, daydream, nap, etc. but never sit down and come up with something that can be called a real product or achievement.

Real products/achievements would be: writing 3 pages of the article, beading the necklace for an hour, getting to the animal shelter to walk the dogs, coding the web page for your own site, practicing the piano daily for 1/2 hour, using that interesting recipe to actually cook dinner for my family, etc. I do stuff hit and miss and am farther behind in achieving things than I would like to be.

Then I read books about how to organize your life and meet goals step by step. I have a pile of those books thrown somewhere in the corner of my messy room. Forget about actually doing housework -- it doesn't interest me.

I am higher in "P" than "J" BTW, but have always had this inner drive to prove myself, which it seems many INTPs either don't have or, what I suspect, see meaninglessness in external accomplishments and so don't push themselves to achieve. I am older than a lot of people on here, though, and I've already done my bohemian youth/explore the world/jack of all trades, master of none thing; now I would like to focus and use my gifts other than in my own head.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,425 Posts
  • What do you think about having goals and not having goals?
  • Which do you think is a better way of meeting the preferred part of your potential?

Banned words in this thread: #procrastination #unmotivated (and any derivatives of these).

Video: [video]http://player.vimeo.com/video/53629816[/video]
1) Opens necrothread
2) Clicks on link
3) Concludes they must be talking about goals
4) Concludes their goals must not have anything to do with being buff
5) Looks in mirror and swoons

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know people who are obsessed with actually writing down goals for their future. I do not think any of these people are INTPs.

I don't really believe in goals... #procrastination #unmotivated :crying:

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's hard for me to list ''clear'' goals. Life for me is simply a succession of intellectual pursuits that will only cease with my death. Even if I define clearly some life goals, I will most likely be distracted on the way to accomplishing them either way.

So what you get is vague goals for the future. Thus minimal motivation to accomplish them as soon as possible.

@livicote Yay, another absurdist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this is brilliant; I totally agree with everything you said. If I don't have goals, even small ones, I feel like I'm just wasting away; clinging to any momentary distraction of my existence no matter how short-lived or pointless it is. It's better, for me, to set a lot of small ones (get to pg. 50 of a new book, learn basic vocabulary for a different language, draw a short comic, research types of flowers, etc.) and feel like I'm actually doing something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts