Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to share a poem I wrote about my loving grandparents while vacationing on their farm in Arkansas when I was just a girl back in the late ‘60's. I also wrote a little story. They are submissions in a grandparents day contest; so if you happen to like either or both, I would love it if you would vote so that they might qualify for the finals.

It was an amazing journey for me as I sat and wrote about the past. Memories flickered in my mind like tiny sparks. The longer I thought and concentrated on past events, the clearer and more detailed the memories became.. The tiny sparks grew into beautiful flames and as they did, the 40 years that had passed seemed more like only 5-10. .I’m usually pretty reserved and this helped me to open up and let others see another part of who I am. So, even if I do not win the contest, it was quite rewarding.

I felt like I wrote the original story too quickly and it has quite a few writing errors. Feeling that I could do better, I wrote the poem and turned it in a couple of weeks later. I’m not a writer or a poet, but I also don’t think its bad

I absolutely loved the ‘60's and ‘70's and I’m very happy to be in my 50's. Those decades were amazing and I feel lucky to have lived them.

Anyone out there remember traveling on Route 66 and passing the F-Troop fort and buying moccasins?. And there’s nothing better than an ice-cold Orange Crush in a bottle in 100 degree heat.

You can view them by googleing the titles or at "consumer cellular" on the first 12 pages of the most-liked.

My poem is called "Cookie Jar Whispers."
My story is called "Rattlesnake Eggs and Homemade Quilts."

Hope you like my entries and thanks a million!

Sheryl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks to all of you for your votes! Less than 2 days left in the contest and I have a long way to go. Again, thanks a million!!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'd love to travel Route 66 some day. I went on a lot of summer vacations growing up but never there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, lucky duck, I wish I could get your poem. Can you "link" it better?? I have vague memories of traveling Rte 66 from St. Louis to Southern cal, when crossing over to S. Cal, very soon afterward, a FULL RAINBOW appeared in the sky!! GREAT!! Unfortunately, didn't have a camera with me. I wasn't very good at hanging on to cameras or diaries in those days (1972) I kept a diary about the trip, but lost it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not allowed to post links yet. My poem made it into the top 50. Best way to view it is still to google as, "cookie jar whispers" with quotes.

Best rainbow I've ever seen: It was back in '88 while traveling with my family along a windy forest road from Tillamook, Oregon to Portland. I left my big bulky camera at home because it was cloudy and rainy. While driving along on the two lane road, I noticed a bright rainbow up ahead. Because there were so many curves in the road with hills of tall firs along the sides, the rainbow kept disappearing from our sight. Then, suddenly, we came around a bend and I saw the most gorgeous rainbow ever. It was the "end of the rainbow." The firs lit up in beautiful streams of colored light along the other side of the road. I have never seen a more beautiful sight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts