Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and salutations,

I've been familiarizing myself with MBTI for over a year now, and I've consistently struggled with whether I am ENFP or INFP.

Nearly every time I take the test, I am ENFP. However, when interacting with other ENFPs or researching ENFP characters, I find myself under the uncomfortable difficulty that comes with trying to find one I can truly relate to. I am 100% an NF, no doubt about that, and others have guessed that I am INFJ, ENFJ, ENFP, and INFP throughout my life. Going over the cognitive functions, I've narrowed it down to ENFP and INFP- I love organizing and list-making, but my spontenaity and difficulty with following through on projects far overpowers these qualities generally indicative of a Judger.

Here are some basic observations of myself:

-Identity is very important to me- I'm a type 4 enneagram and strongly individualistic

-On every introversion/extraversion test, I score nearly 50/50

-Technically, I get my energy from social interactions, though I've recently wondered whether this is due to the fact that I spend most time alone and consequently appreciate social interactions more when I have opportunities for them- i.e. would I still choose social interactions over solitude if I experienced more social interactions?

-In every other sense, I am extraordinarily introverted- I concentrate better alone, have to do projects alone, need to be alone to understand myself, can communicate feelings far better through the written word than verbally, have a need for journaling and writing out thoughts and feelings, constantly immerse myself in books and movies, am very private about how I truly feel about things, and am not generally the initiator of any conversation unless I am trying to befriend the hypothetical wallflower at any given party

-I am extremely passionate about storytelling, and my largest interests are English, theatre, and film

-I also love exploring the human condition- psychology, sociology, and communications classes fascinate me

-When in a room of extraverts, I am the quiet one, but when around introverts, I will assume the position of conversation-starter and often befriend many of them

-Despite being an FP, I have been told that I am highly analytical and grounded

-In any given social situation, introverts are drawn to me and extraverts enjoy unloading ideas onto me and enjoy my listening

-Every single character I identify with is an INFP, and every character I've been compared to by friends is an INFP, with few exceptions

-I once journaled during a missions trip and sent entries to family and friends, one of whom told me my perspective and writing sound exactly like Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables, which I've unfortunately never read, but I know has been debated as either being ENFP or INFP

-I am known by my friends as a good listener, writer, and optimist

-Careers and hobbies most suggested to me by others include elementary school teacher, English teacher, lawyer, author, journalist, librarian, YouTuber, and blogger

-I love being the champion of the underdog and befriending outcasts/wallflowers I think mostly because I had been one for so much of my life, and now that I've become comfortable with myself I desire to help others find themselves; I can tell when someone has a good heart and always fall for the shy outsider

-Even though I can enter the witty banter of ENTP friends and love a good debate, I'm much slower verbally and am much better in my head/when alone/in writing

-I lose myself so often in thought it's surreal; place me in a cardboard box for 48 hours and I'll emerge with fifty novel ideas and the solutions to half of the world's problems

-I love the individuality of humanity and people in general, but I have always felt outside of them. Like, I can go one-on-one with anybody and relate to them and help them, but I've never felt like I could be on the other end of that where someone could understand and relate to me. I love participating in certain social events, but I can't help but view them as "people-things" and I can't erase the feeling of being an observer of it all rather than a participant.

-Another note on the social events- this is what I've come to realize about the ones I participate in vs. the ones in which I am a wallflower: If the people at the social event are those I feel the need to help and bring out of their shells because they are shy/more introverted/new/don't know each other then I will automatically become the social one, but if they are already familiar with one another or have energy, then I immediately become the wallflower and it takes a LOT of energy to assert myself in literally any way.

Clearly, I show signs of ENFP and INFP, and despite knowing that an individual cannot really be both, for once I have thrown logic to the wind and declared myself ENFP/INFP. Despite this, I still feel a sense of uncertainty. I'm hoping for two things here in this forum: 1.) objective opinions and observations from my qualities listed and writing style that lead you to believe I am one of the two types, and 2.) any other NFs who have experienced this, specifically ENFPs/INFPs.

I'm new to this website and am unsure of whether I'll receive a response, but if someone has made it this far, thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, first off, I identify with you on almost everything you said, especially the extrovert/introvert role you assume around shy vs. outgoing people. I'm still not 100% sure what type I actually am. I, too, questioned ENFP/INFP a lot and I have also frequently been typed as ESFP and even ESTP. Truth of the matter is, looking at the cognitive function stack is the only way to figure out your true type.

From what I've read, ENFPs are by far the most "introverted" of the extroverts, especially when it comes to NF types. Everything you said about needing time to reflect, writing stuff down, organizing your thoughts etc. could very well be either ENFP or INFP traits. I think the best way to figure out what type you are is by looking at your inferior function. Is it Te (INFP) or Si (ENFP)?
If you could elaborate on your relationship with and how you use the two, it may be easier to figure out your type.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the best way to figure out what type you are is by looking at your inferior function. Is it Te (INFP) or Si (ENFP)?
I totally agree. Two types can be identical in behaviour and, moreover, if you have very strong both Ne and Fi it may be impossible for you to figure out which leads. Introvert function dominants can be really sociable and extrovert function dominants may need a lot of time alone. What you described doesn't unmistakably and definitively point to either. But the "symptoms" you display when under extreme stress and the things that repel you at your deepest level are an unfailable (I think) clue.

This is a site which I recommended to other people too because it has the best explanations and doesn't even mention the stereotypes. Here are the links for the 2 possible inferiors:

How Functions Work: Inferior Te (ISFP/INFP) - Cognitive Function Theory
How Functions Work: Inferior Si (ENTP/ENFP) - Cognitive Function Theory
and about the "behaviour" of inferiors in general:
The Principles of Cognitive Function Theory @MBTI-notes - Cognitive Function Theory

What may also help you is function dynamics and the tertiaryes:
The Principles of Cognitive Function Theory @MBTI-notes - Cognitive Function Theory

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Statistically speaking, if there was any point that you actually considered extroversion, you are likely an extrovert. Introverts do not often mistype as extroverts because they know people exhaust them, but extroverts will often mistype as introverts because of the stereotype that extroverts can talk to people for hours all the time and are never exhausted by human interactions. I think this is the case with you, as you sound like an extrovert. As a probable ENFP, I had this same problem as well.

Also remember that in enneagram, 4 is a withdrawn type. A type 4 ENFP will be more withdrawn than the typical ENFP stereotypes because the most common types for ENFP are 7 and 6w7, which both have a tenancy to be more Ne driven. Type 4 corresponds to Fi, which will create a "Fi varient" or Fi driven ENFP

·
Registered
252 Posts
-I lose myself so often in thought it's surreal; place me in a cardboard box for 48 hours and I'll emerge with fifty novel ideas and the solutions to half of the world's problems

-I love the individuality of humanity and people in general, but I have always felt outside of them. Like, I can go one-on-one with anybody and relate to them and help them, but I've never felt like I could be on the other end of that where someone could understand and relate to me. I love participating in certain social events, but I can't help but view them as "people-things" and I can't erase the feeling of being an observer of it all rather than a participant.
I see you, I relate to you, and I think I could understand you :). Love the idea of being put in a box and coming up with 50 outside of the box ideas:). Love it. I don't have any help for you as I'm stuck in ambiversion myself, a fellow NFP. I call myself an INFP because I found myself unable to keep up with the extraversion and difficult-to-follow word explosions in ENFP groups.. but I still wonder.

P.S. Reading Anne of Green Gables made me feel like it was okay and loveable to be exactly who I am, you should check it out! Anne Shirley's Fi adherence to values and unwillingness to bend for quite a long while once she's made up her mind about someone seems more intense than mine, making me think she's an INFP and I'm still just walking on the fence (or gable) myself, looking at INFP on one side and ENFP on the other :). Best of luck to you in your search!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Clearly, I show signs of ENFP and INFP, and despite knowing that an individual cannot really be both, for once I have thrown logic to the wind and declared myself ENFP/INFP. Despite this, I still feel a sense of uncertainty. I'm hoping for two things here in this forum: 1.) objective opinions and observations from my qualities listed and writing style that lead you to believe I am one of the two types, and 2.) any other NFs who have experienced this, specifically ENFPs/INFPs.
Calling yourself an xNFP isn't illogical at all. What would prevent you from simply being an ambivert? Many people clearly are. You don't see yourself in the withdrawn and shy INFPs or the excessively outgoing and talkative ENFPs because in reality you don't fall that high or low on the I/E scale.
Nobody is a type (except if defined in some tautological way) but may have traits that (if taken to an extreme) remind of one of the 16 MB types.

Personally when I read what you've described I would peg you as an INFP. It's clear that your persona seems more like that of an INFP since so many of your statements are generally attributed to INFPs. Moreover you seem highly agreeable (care a lot about people) so some of your extraversion may perhaps be better seen as a strong people-orientation rather than a need for stimulation.

Also, being an ambivert is probably a good thing. There may be good evolutionary reasons as to why the median of E/I is where it is today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all @MaPlayz @iNdependent @Krayfish @UnicornRainbowLove ! My apologies for the delay, I've only just discovered how to tag others in responses so you all can see my replies.

First off, so much love for you guys- reading your responses makes me feel less alone and more comforted knowing that others have experienced what I have. I keep going back here to re-read your kind words, and it's brightened so many afternoons and nights.

If you look at my other threads, you'll notice I've been exploring inferior Te vs. inferior Si in a further effort to determine my technical type. I wanted to make sure I clue you all in on it, so if you're curious, go ahead and check that thread. [edit: I don't have enough posts to insert links yet, forgive me :( it's in my profile though]

The majority of responses have leaned toward INFP, though a few strong voices from other threads still vote ENFP. The argument can be made both ways: Either I'm an INFP whose love for people has been mistaken for extraversion, or I'm an ENFP who seems very introverted because I'm a Fi-driven Type 4. Those in the "Manifestation of Inferior Te vs. Si" thread linked above all lean toward me having inferior Te, however, which would point toward my being an INFP.

One person pointed out to me that using your inferior function exhausts you, which I thought was really interesting. This exhaustion can lead to stress and frustration. So, my idea is to make a list of what causes me stress and exhaustion and then see if there is a pattern that aligns with either of the two inferior functions. I'll be posting this list in numerous threads to make sure I reach everybody who's helped me thus far, so if you're trying to track my progress then rest assured that every thread will have this same information.

I've done some heavy reflecting, and here's what I've noticed exhausts or stresses me:

- Thinking about opportunities I've missed/what I could have done differently
- Thinking about how much more I could have accomplished in any given situation had I been more organized or driven
- Basically the contrast between my dream to be self-driven and my reality of being more relaxed is the source of a very significant amount of stress in my life
- Fearing making the wrong decision
- Comparing my past/present to those of others, worrying that I'm missing something
- Knowing that I'll need to know a specific set of facts for an anticipated situation, even if I have them memorized I have this exhausting fear that I won't be able to recall what I need to; e.g. trying to remember driving directions or lines for a play... the actual memorization isn't stressful, but thinking about how I'll need to know it and this obsession that I won't be able to recall it in the moment really freaks me out
- Contradicting myself or feeling uncertainty; a perfect example of this is the whole journey of whether I'm INFP or ENFP, I'm having fun with it, but whenever I think about it too hard and find myself changing my mind about things, I get overwhelmed with uncertainty and it's exhausting
- Wondering how different my idea of myself is from my actual self; it seems selfish, but this actually really freaks me out. In my head I'm Phoebe from Friends but my friend insists I am Chandler, if that made any sense
- Wondering about how I'm perceived by others, but not like in a "What does she think of my outfit" way, it's much more like a feeling that I'm in this outside perspective outside of myself, wondering how I'm perceived by others. I think about this a lot. Like when I'm with younger cousins, I get swamped by memories of how I always viewed my older cousins when I was their age, and the idea that now I'm in that role and is it the same for them and am I living up to it, etc etc (I'm not sure if this one actually exhausts me as the others do, but it's still a thought I get lost in really intensely.)

I can add more as I think, but those were the first things that came to mind. The question is, is anything pointing to inferior Te/Si?

·
Registered
218 Posts
-Technically, I get my energy from social interactions, though I've recently wondered whether this is due to the fact that I spend most time alone and consequently appreciate social interactions more when I have opportunities for them- i.e. would I still choose social interactions over solitude if I experienced more social interactions?
Do interactions with people tire you, however? I've had times where interacting with people made me feel good, but that was because the conversation itself was meaningful and worth it. Most of the time, consistent interaction will tire me and I eventually step back from the people I hang out with to be on my own. This doesn't change depending on my amount of friends: even if I'm just hanging out with two people, I get tired and step away.

Anyone can enjoy interactions and anyone can get tired from too much interaction, but the trick is to see how prominent one is over the other, and how you act around people: if you like people and go out of your way to meet them and you enjoy doing that, etc...

-In every other sense, I am extraordinarily introverted- I concentrate better alone, have to do projects alone, need to be alone to understand myself, can communicate feelings far better through the written word than verbally, have a need for journaling and writing out thoughts and feelings, constantly immerse myself in books and movies, am very private about how I truly feel about things, and am not generally the initiator of any conversation unless I am trying to befriend the hypothetical wallflower at any given party
Lots of people typically find their own skills to be the most reliable and work on their own, however. I know a whole bunch of extroverts who prefer doing things themselves. There are similarly lots of people who don' expose their feelings. These things don't exactly apply to every introvert.

Also, the last part is very ENFP. INFPs can tempt that sort of idea (INFPs tempt lots of ideas), but don't really go through it and speaking to strangers directly like that isn't something that happens often with an INFP, even if it's some random social event.

-I am extremely passionate about storytelling, and my largest interests are English, theatre, and film

-I also love exploring the human condition- psychology, sociology, and communications classes fascinate me
This is also pretty much unrelated to types because any type can be into this. Other items in this list are like that, and I didn't address a few of them because of this. Some others I address as being ENFP-like can also apply to other people, but more sparingly so and in a different way than portrayed here; with ENFP-like, I mean it's common of ENFPs.

-When in a room of extraverts, I am the quiet one, but when around introverts, I will assume the position of conversation-starter and often befriend many of them
Now this is very characterisitic of an ENFP. ENFPs are usually extroverts who are more reserved and quiet than other extroverts, or just aren't as outgoing. Meanwhile, INFPs are usually very, very introverted, to the point where they usually don't start conversation and can hardly go up to a person just to get to know them if they're just a stranger. At least, generally speaking, as there can surely be cases an INFP has more courage and experience socially or when an ENFP is more outgoing. However, a reason ENFPs commonly mistype as introverts is because they think they aren't introverts since they don't see themselves as particularly wild and sociable. However, you don't have to be super confident and great with people to be an extrovert (and introverts don't have to be shy to be considered introverts).

-Despite being an FP, I have been told that I am highly analytical and grounded
Happens a lot with Fs in general.

-In any given social situation, introverts are drawn to me and extraverts enjoy unloading ideas onto me and enjoy my listening
I assume what you're saying is a generalization, but you come off extroverted.

-Every single character I identify with is an INFP, and every character I've been compared to by friends is an INFP, with few exceptions
A lot of these typings are unofficial and often inaccurate. I've seen so many characters typed as INFP despite the fact that there isn't all that much common ground beyond being sensitive and having feels :/

-I am known by my friends as a good listener, writer, and optimist
Could apply to both.

-I love being the champion of the underdog and befriending outcasts/wallflowers I think mostly because I had been one for so much of my life, and now that I've become comfortable with myself I desire to help others find themselves; I can tell when someone has a good heart and always fall for the shy outsider
VERY ENFP. Insanely ENFP.

Also super ENFP. Very dominant Ne.

-Another note on the social events- this is what I've come to realize about the ones I participate in vs. the ones in which I am a wallflower: If the people at the social event are those I feel the need to help and bring out of their shells because they are shy/more introverted/new/don't know each other then I will automatically become the social one, but if they are already familiar with one another or have energy, then I immediately become the wallflower and it takes a LOT of energy to assert myself in literally any way.
Also very ENFP. My brother had an ENFP friend who acted alright around him, but when faced with people he didn't know, he would basically look as awkward as humanly possible and make no conversation whatsoever; I've heard of similar accounts in regards to other ENFPs.

To be honest, the whole post screams ENFP to me. INFP mistypings with ENFPs are common, especially as they seem similar with the difference being one letter and all, but if you find two of each type, you'll find that the way they act is pretty different, though the functions are the same and lead to thought process that are relatable to both in some aspects, which likely makes for these mistypings to begin with. The usual problem is that ENFPs don't relate with the extrovert label, but that's because of the general image extroverts have. However, many extroverts are reserved in various aspects and ENFPs especially seem to fit with this. To be honest, most of the stuff you do is stuff I just... Would never do? I can't befriend all these people at once; groups are exhausting; talking to new people is waaay awkward; and even then, I'm not that socially horrible and have progressed far as I can now go up to people if I reeeeeaaaaally feel like it (yay!). Of course, there and INFPs who have an easier time, but the thought process itself from your post comes off as ENFP, in my eyes. The way you pull out all these things to try to verify how you relate to them or how they relate to you, and how your mind has all these ideas constantly if you're left to your devices, or how you seem like you're in clear Ne doubt at extreme levels, or how you tend to befriend a whole lot of introverts and how you're not the most talkative and can in fact be pretty awkward, but you're not to the level an outsider perspective would label as introverted; it all fits together in my prespective.

About inferior functions, by the way, the dominant and inferior function are being used together most of the time so if you're Ne, you'll have Si doing things, as well. For example, in stressful moments, sure, I use my Te, but my Fi's also at work; it's a combination of both. Since you can't have Fi without Te and Ne without Si, they basically work together. Nothing about your list of stressful moments strikes me as amazingly Te; more like Ne going wild with what-ifs, which would probably happen to a Ne-dominant person in a time of stress. When I'm at my worst, I'm looking at things from a very logical point of view: because A connects to B, I'm angry/sad at X; rinse and repeat. Indecisiveness stresses me, sure, but when I'm really upset, I'm just considering stuff like whether I'm at fault, why I'd be at fault, why I wouldn't be at fault, and how to fix the situation or if it's worth fixing, or in what way this is morally bad or good... It quite differs from what you've shown.

Personally, I think you're ENFP; just my two-cents on it. Though, if I sound condescending or like a know-it-all, I don't mean it and will apologize as it's really more because I'm tired, but I'm pretty sure the core content wouldn't change even if I weren't sleep-deprived so there's that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts