Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I somehow stumbled on this exotic species called an INTP woman a couple weeks ago. Holy hell. Some questions:

1) Where do you all hide? Did the factory just explode at some point?

2) Why are you the only type I can't read - why such mystery.. at the same time both a huge connection and a bit of a wall?

3) On the same vein - Is it a good sign if you tell a guy he's brilliant, invite him to spend some time with you and your friends, and text him a fair amount? (you're so very hard to read)

4) What has been your experiences with INFJ guys (I know we're a small sample)?

5) Is there even a way to get you to express feeling?

It's such a refreshing change of pace. Thanks for existing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Alright, so I somehow stumbled on this exotic species called an INTP woman a couple weeks ago. Holy hell. Some questions:

2) Why are you the only type I can't read - why such mystery.. at the same time both a huge connection and a bit of a wall?

3) On the same vein - Is it a good sign if you tell a guy he's brilliant, invite him to spend some time with you and your friends, and text him a fair amount? (you're so very hard to read)

I'm not a female, but i think you've just won a prize. If you see #3 happening... you're in the money.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You see the INTx females were created by INTx males to give us females who understand us! Besides that small bit of info I know not much more about these mysterious creatures then you do, hell they are a mystery even to themselves!

A team of experts has been assigned to catch them for experiments. After the one factory that created them was destroyed and all of it's lab notes on them lost while the INTx females escaped we lost track of them. Perhaps you can donate money to us so that we can catch them? They are very independent and dangerous!

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I don't see why my tits should make me a different breed of intp than the humans without tits. Read about intps. Many of the answers are in there. Its ridiculous to think that "zomg women" are some different species entirely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hide at home a lot.

I like to be vague... it makes me feel vulnerable if I'm not.

I think that's definitely a good sign. Intelligence is very important and it would be a huge compliment for me to tell a guy I think that of him.

One of my best male friends is an INFJ and though he thinks he's in love with me... I could never be in a relationship with him. He's too needy and clingy and it's not attractive. :dry:

I express mine through written words a lot... blogging or texting is good.

Good luck! :happy:

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
O shii- .. I can run faster than you nerds!
Hmm is this a way to catch the illusive INTx females?

Promethea, the thing is, you are one of us! A NERD! MWAHAHAHAHAH!! *cough cough* HAHAHAHahahah!

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Now there are two yay!

Can you run faster Promethea? Do you want to put that to the test?

·
Registered
49 Posts

I hide in plain sight-- or rather, I tend to end up being fairly invisible. Occasionally somebody will notice me. You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

I can only explain my personal situation here. The reason people find me hard to read is because I somehow maintain the paradox of putting up a very transparent personality for other people to see. I am very upfront and honest about nearly everything, until it comes down to my emotions. I tend to keep these away from other people at all costs.

Again, I can't speak for the INTP you're interacting with here, but...
If I am reaching out to somebody else to ask for them to spend time with me, it's because I have a very, very strong desire to have them present. Anything short of a near desperation for the person's company and I'll just sit and wait for them to approach me. (Again, remember that this is just me!)

I've met one INFJ guy. He was pretty sweet, but struck me as a little bit too much of a dreamer and a romantic, which intimidated me.

Absolutely. If somebody would just ask me how I'm feeling, I'd answer. Considering that nobody ever asks, however...

And there you have it. There have been a lot of threads cropping up about INTP females lately. It's a bit odd. I hope this helped you some!

·
Registered
16 Posts

Now obviously my answers can't apply to every INTP, we are still individuals...but here it goes

INTP's tend to be fairly direct and to the point about things, well, at least I think we are, but maybe that's just because I'm an INTP, and am more likely to get the lingo of other INTPs? An exception is when we have a reason to think that your the over-sensitive type whom can't handle directness, and even then they still might just be anyways.

As far as the getting to know them deal, with introverts it tends to just take longer to get to know them than with extroverts, you're probably best just relaxing and taking your time.

2. I don't know you well enough to say why you in particular would have trouble reading an INTP. Often when someone doesn't get me it's been for one or both of these two reasons:

A: because they are so very different than me, that understanding me is like trying to understand an alien. It's a lot like trying to understand someone from a very different culture from your own.

B: because people make assumptions about how those within a certain group (gender, racial, age, etc...) are going to behave, think, and feel, and when someone goes against their expectations they just have a really hard time getting over it and may even have a great reluctance to put aside their assumptions and try to understand someone as a person, rather than a cookie cutter member of a group. So instead they keep trying to make sense of me within the narrow context of "woman" or "20 something year old" etc... and it just doesn't work.

3. If it seems like a good sign it is. However if you really want to know whether your in the "FriendSpace" or "potential MateSpace" you should probably just ask.

5. No harm in asking how someone is doing (unless you do it really repetitively which can get irritating, eventually it's kind of like driving with a child in the back seat that continually asks "are we there yet".). However you shouldn't pressure someone to express feelings, just let them be themselves, otherwise there's a good chance of making the person uncomfortable, or making them think that you believe that their way of expressing themselves is wrong (which can piss people off).

Everyone has their own way of expressing their thoughts and feelings, and that should be respected. If you have a problem with it, than they are very unlikely to be the right one for you anyhow.

I've had guys pressure and pressure me to show my feelings, and it eventually gets really annoying, so I did eventually show my feelings, ones of annoyance that they couldn't just be content to let me express myself in my own natural way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I usually hide at home, but if I'm in public I tend to blend in with my surroundings. I do everything possible to make sure I stay away from any kind of conflict, which means not interacting with people unless necessary.

I can't even really read myself so why should it be easy for others to read me? I'm not trying to be mysterious I just enjoy observing people and their behavior. And if I have to interact with a specific person then chances are I am in some way imitating their personality (to avoid conflict, to better understand the person I am conversing with, etc.). I react differently to different people, it's just what I do....I don't know why.

Definitely a good sign. It would take a lot for me to tell a guy he's 'brilliant' and to actually initiate spending time with the person, I'd have to really like him/her.

My boyfriend is actually an INFJ. I find INFJs fascinating, they seem to have this mythical quality where they can sometimes know what people are thinking or can tell when something big is about to happen. It's completely illogical and I'm constantly trying to rationalize my boyfriend's behavior when situations like that come up. I find him to be a bit of a dreamer in which I appreciate his creativity but shake my head at how illogical some of his ideas are. He's completely devoted to me and in his own INFJ way making sure I'm always comfortable. This helps me to trust him and once I give someone my trust than it's more likely I'll open up and share what I'm feeling. I think he likes the 'emotional' challenge that I present to him; it's hard to read me and I rarely deviate from my 'robot' expression of feelings. So when I 'share' something then that makes him feel special.

If somebody asks I won't lie (unless it's one of those generic questions where you are passing someone in a hallway and they ask 'how are you'--the expected answer is always good). But a good portion of the day I am just in an observing mode, not really feeling anything in particular.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
on the internet, sometimes even on INTP fora.

LOLWUT. I don't know why you can't read us.
maybe we don't want to be read. and/or we are not stereotypical and this messes with your assumptions.

it would be a sign of the apocalypse.

speaking only from my experience with a guy I think is an unhealthy INFJ, not good. too much...feeleryness, neediness, and reading-into-things-and-jumping-to-conclusions-ness. emotionally manipulative and abusive. kind of a hero/martyr thing going on. (but there are other factors involved, not just personality.)
oh, wait. perhaps I have known another INFJ male. I wanted to get to know him better but didn't have the chance. I think he was (probably still is) very idealistic, and I liked that but felt "not good enough"--like I was probably not morally upright, idealistic, or self-sacrificing enough to meet his standards of how people should be. I don't know. he never said anything about any of it, so maybe I just imagined it all.

what kind of feeling? right now I want to express frustration and annoyance at those who seem to want to push others into emoting all over the place. but I won't; I will just write about it. because that is what I do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
one. We all hide behind our computers. ( well, I do atleast )
two. Good luck with number three.
three. For number five, nobody ever asks me how I'm feeling anyways, if they did I probably wouldn't give them a straight answer anyways.

end of story.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

I am not hiding. I venture out for food and supplies on a regular basis.

Maybe your difficulty is that you depend on overt feeling expression to read people, and INTPs don't exactly work that way. You may be trying to read her where there is nothing to read, or you're looking at the wrong things. INTPs are pretty direct in their expression, so go by her words and actions. Get to know your INTP, and you will learn to read her.

Here she is flashing a great big neon sign at you, and you're saying she's "hard to read." :wink:
An INTP is not likely to initiate contact like this unless she likes you a lot. This does not necessarily mean she has a romantic interest in you, but chances are very good that she does.

I know one in real life. Long story short I became quite inappropriately enamored, tried to befriend him and he dodged until I quit trying. I'm over it and we're still friendly, but just at work. I admire his work ethic and helpful attitude, but he turns cobra sometimes and wow. Love it, hate it. And there are the forums here, of course. My impression of INFJ is that we think alike but with different emphasis. We come to the same conclusions by different means. I'm more feeling-oriented compared to many other INTPs, but INFJs are very much more so. The difference between Fe-Ti and Ti-Fe shows in the style of communication and may take some patience and understanding. You're saying that your INTP friend is hard to read because you don't see the feeling expression, but she is expressing herself. Conversely, INTP might find you "hard to read" because the way you express yourself seems indirect and less accessible to us, or overwhelming, depending on the context. The INFJ-INTP relationship has been described as "gentle antagonism," and that rings true to me.

We don't tend to be very emotionally/romantically expressive, but that doesn't mean the feeling isn't there. Your friend told you she thinks you're brilliant, invited you to hang out with her and is texting you a lot. She is expressing her feeling. If she buys you lunch or a gift, if she touches you, if she goes out of her way to help you, if she sees that you're down and asks if you want to talk about it, she is expressing her feeling. Those are true of me anyway. How she expresses herself may be different but you get the idea I think.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Stick around, there are loads on here. Heck, they even let us breed sometimes.

We can't, to quote a previous poster, even read ourselves. Our brains should carry a public health warning - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - and this applies to ourselves too. Carry an anti-mine device or somesuch if you like to dig around a bit.

You're in. Remember the anti-mine device.

Only women. Some of the time I just couldn't get on with them. Let's just leave it at that. Oh, and I'm taken, sorry.

Uh...well you could...um...no..how about...no that wouldn't work either...or maybe...no not that either. If you find it, let us know.

You're quite welcome. Existing is something that I have got used to, and enjoy very much.

167 Posts

We're normal human being doing humany things like digesting food at coffee shop or taking a walk in a park. We tend to be overlooked and more likely to fade in background

Huh? If you've made a connection than congratulations. Not many have succeeded. Just take it slowly from here, that's the best advice I can give. See 4 & 5

Personally, I have never done / will not do so. I'm not active seeking out for company like that. I'd rather react to initiation approaches thrown at me. So answer is yes, and she is either desperate or really that into you.

My father is one. I hate how he intuitively understands my thoughts without me communicating it out loud. There are things I am not comfortable discussing with him but he always seems to know what's going on, thus I am careful with my shared thoughts and feelings

We wear mask to keep shallow people away. If you pass that filter then (seems like you did considering you felt a connection) then the only way to break down those layers of wall built around us is to put on some effort and be patience. Most guys don't have either patience or effort (or both) and they'd walk away like that.

You're welcome

·
Registered
314 Posts
) Where do you all hide? Did the factory just explode at some point?

I stay at home mostly and go to classes mostly...occasionally I go to the store to re-stock on something or to the bars to people watch

Lol, because I don't need to be read? I am very upfront; ask me a question and I will give you the answer.

Yes, that would be a good sign

I haven't met one (that I know of). However my best friend is an INFJ female. I find her to be very dramatic and sensitive and she always thinks I'm upset about something when I'm not. I like that she likes to listen to my answers to her problems (even if she never follows them) and that she appreciates (sort of) my non-sugar coated advice.

Not really...I'll just explode one day and you won't know where it came from lol...then I'll be back to normal :wink:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts