Heck Tate
Mr. Underwood
Mr. Raymond
Mr. Cunningham
Walter Cunningham

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
It's been a while since I've read it...but I'll give it a shot with a few of them.

Scout Finch-XNFP
Atticus Finch-INFJ
Dill Harris-ENFP
Calpurnia-ESFJ
Aunt Alexandra-XSTJ (She was so anal...)
Bob Ewell-ISTP
Boo Radley-IXFP
Mrs. Dubose-ISTJ (And a very grumpy one at that.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Scout seems ENFP in the book, but since she was based on Harper Lee herself, she's probably INFP. Aunt Alexandra- ESFJ, I believe. Boo Radley seems to be ISFP to me. Other than that, you're pretty spot-on with these types.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
3,060 Posts
Haven't read the book in years but I agree wholeheartedly that Atticus Finch is an INFJ.
Harper Lee (may not be an INFJ herself) probably had some good INFJ role models when she was a child.. :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
I saw a doumentry on Harper Lee recently on American Masters.It was interesting that most think Scout is Harper Lee but it was pretty much confirmed Harper is Boo Radley.

Her distaste for the limelight and attention is brought up time and again in the profile.Oprah Winfery said she knew she would never get an interview with Harper when Harper told her she was Boo.

Atticus -INFJ,definetly.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I always thought that the wonderful Gregory Peck portrayal of Atticus came off as more INTJ, perhaps (I don't know if it had something to do with the actor - quite possibly, since I recall that he identified with the character a lot, although I've seen the actor typed as INTP online, so I have no idea what to make of any of it)...honestly, I'm not sure about most of the other characters, typologically (nor even sure of Atticus's type in the book - maybe more INFJ??). Scout as some N dominant type is most plausible to me though for sure, while Jem comes off as a higher S type (likely Si?). Aunt Alexandra as an ESFJ seems feasible.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
I always thought that the wonderful Gregory Peck portrayal of Atticus came off as more INTJ, perhaps (I don't know if it had something to do with the actor - quite possibly, since I recall that he identified with the character a lot, although I've seen the actor typed as INTP online, so I have no idea what to make of any of it)...honestly, I'm not sure about most of the other characters, typologically (nor even sure of Atticus's type in the book - maybe more INFJ??).
I watched that not too long ago, and I think you may be right about the portrayal. Atticus's integrity, strength, and passion are certainly there, but Peck comes off as being more serious. Not that book Atticus wasn't serious, of course, but there seemed to be more of a softness to him in the book. (At least from what I recall, anyway.)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have no idea how Boo Radley can be typed (other than if one pretends he has the same personality as Harper Lee, which, I'm not really sure what that is for her). o_O

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I don't think Atticus is an INFJ. He's so stern, humorless and self-righteous... I don't think most INFJs are that way.
Clearly, you never met me.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I kind of agree about him not seeming like an Fe type remotely. XNTJ is a lot closer imo. I don't know that I'd call him "stern," (def. ennegram 1) but he wasn't the type who's particularly open with evaluation - INFJs are rather famous for being the types of people who are very very probing of other people and "heart-on-their-sleeves" types (this is more of an Fe observation in general), and he clearly wasn't that kind of person - his feelings tended to be revealed like they were some kind of grand secret that shakes everyone's worldview of him once they come out (e.g. his gun expertise and his feelings on this, which a great portion of a chapter was dedicated to).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I kind of agree about him not seeming like an Fe type remotely. XNTJ is a lot closer imo. I don't know that I'd call him "stern," (def. ennegram 1) but he wasn't the type who's particularly open with evaluation - INFJs are rather famous for being the types of people who are very very probing of other people and "heart-on-their-sleeves" types (this is more of an Fe observation in general), and he clearly wasn't that kind of person - his feelings tended to be revealed like they were some kind of grand secret that shakes everyone's worldview of him once they come out (e.g. his gun expertise and his feelings on this, which a great portion of a chapter was dedicated to).
I concur.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Atticus Finch always seemed like an INTJ with well-developed Fi to me.

Reactions: MuadDib

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would have never guessed people would type Atticus as an INFJ. I am only about 1/3 through the book, but Atticus seems like a P. I might say INFP or I thought maybe ISFP but I didn't think INFJ. He just seemed to hate conflict too much. He doesn't like correcting his children, he doesn't like the air rifles...

Reactions: 318138

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Watched this last night.

Atticus in the film uses Fe. It's very reserved in the sense that he doesn't like to show his own emotions all that much, but the drive for social harmony is there. He compromises all the time to keep everyone happy, and tells Scout to do the same thing -- very Fe. Fi would say hold to your convictions and do the right thing. Fe says find something you can agree on and keep the peace. Jem challenges him and he compromises to keep his children happy, rather than fight them. He also tells Scout to try walking in someone else's shoes -- something I doubt would come out of an IXTJ's mouth. When crossed, Fi holds firm. Atticus compromises -- he even gives up the law and the truth at the end for a lie, to protect Boo Radley.

You can see a much stronger Fi-Te dynamic in Scout. States the facts, bluntly. Is highly emotional but also uses her Te as a grounding focus. Atticus does all his thinking inside his head, and keeps everyone around him happy. He's something of an intellectual idealist, not interested in preserving the traditions of the past, but desperately hoping that SOMEONE on that jury will do the right thing; yet, he knows they won't.

Lovely character. Not sure what his type in the book is, though. It's been a long time since I read it.

ETA: The only OTHER type I could see him being is ISTJ. Very dutiful... but I have a hard time thinking an ISTJ would go against the law / compromise their integrity as much as Atticus does when it comes to covering up a murder ... even if the man was trying to kill his kids. (?)

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Watched this last night.

Atticus in the film uses Fe. It's very reserved in the sense that he doesn't like to show his own emotions all that much, but the drive for social harmony is there. He compromises all the time to keep everyone happy, and tells Scout to do the same thing -- very Fe. Fi would say hold to your convictions and do the right thing. Fe says find something you can agree on and keep the peace. Jem challenges him and he compromises to keep his children happy, rather than fight them. He also tells Scout to try walking in someone else's shoes -- something I doubt would come out of an IXTJ's mouth. When crossed, Fi holds firm. Atticus compromises -- he even gives up the law and the truth at the end for a lie, to protect Boo Radley.
I say this a lot to my family members when they get into fights. I don't think it has anything to do with Fe, it's just a sort of 'common sense', for lack of a better phrase. As is compromising - you're never going to get anywhere if you're constantly battling away. I'm not saying Atticus isn't an INFJ, just that your reasoning isn't necessarily correct.

(I'm going by the characters in the book - I still haven't seen the film.)

Atticus Finch - Some kind of Ni-Se user.
Scout Finch - I'm between ENFP and INFP.
Jem Finch - ESFJ?
Boo Radley - probably untypable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts