Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing in a youtube video at one point that the introverted function is the one you listen with and the extroverted function is the one you communicate with so since the extroverted function is weaker in introverts, they aren't as good at expressing themselves.

That made a lot of sense because I can barely ever express my thoughts or emotions to other people in a way I'm completely satisfied with.
Whenever I like something about someone, instead of complimenting them, I just sit there with a blank stare (if they seem disappointed that I'm not responding I start to panic and then say even less.)
It makes me feel like a bit of a jerk sometimes.

Does anyone else relate to this?
If so, have you found a way to pass this obstacle?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't have a problem complementing others. But for some reason I have a hard time with basic manners like saying thank you and please

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well for me I'm fine with opening my mouth to compliment someone.
Too bad it always sounds as if I'm detached and uninterested and that I'm only saying it to be polite, when I actually mean it ._.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have no problem saying please and thank you but I suck at giving compliments. The only time I feel comfortable giving them out is if I receive them first. I'm completely genuine too when I compliment others! It's just that I have to receive one from them first before I have the courage to give one or else the whole thing feels awkward to me.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I'm polite but I can't give compliments to save my life.
I think of something nice to say, then wonder if it's weird, wonder if they'll take it well or if they'll think I'm being creepy, fantasise about what would happen if the latter, tell myself to get the hell over it because it's only a compliment and if they think I'm creepy it's their own fault because it's not, and by that time the opportunity has passed.

It is much easier over the internet, or through writing in general. If I have to give compliments in future I might hand people sticky-notes with things I like about them on and run away, it seems a much better system.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can give them - it just takes extra effort... plus if I'm nervous I legitimately can't get the words out and when I do they are so quiet the person probably doesn't hear ^^;

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Being polite is easy, I will be kind and respectful to everyone until they give me a reason not to. Compliments are not hard to give but I save them until I truly mean them. I experience so many different feelings and emotions that I find I don't have the right words to accurately describe them or the words I use mean one thing to me and another thing to someone else, thus leaving me feeling misunderstood. I'm also don't like talking about meaningless bullshit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a hard time to tell someone they are a great person, even though I would really like to. I can give compliments to something they did or clothes or anything, but I don't really seem to be able to express deep feelings. I always only compliment when I really mean it and couldn't do it if not, because I am a really bad liar. I can tell people I appreciate them when making gifts, and I can write it down on birthday cards. I really hate this about me because I feel like it makes me appear somewhat cold.

Reactions: mrgreendots

·
Registered
263 Posts
I learned a really simple way of complimenting people from an INFP... *turn your ears on*....

Oh- you do this mannerism when this happens- I like that.
Hm... in response to this you chose to act that way- I like that.
I like that you.......

lol, It's just freely and non-judgmentally assserting what you like in a very simplified fashion. And you know what? I like those kind of compliments.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sometimes I think people perceive my social awkwardness as being rude. And at times, it does occur. I don't understand why, I don't mean to be at all. Is it my lack of social skills or interaction with certain people? I compliment people when they compliment me because

I feel I should say something nice to them too. But at the same time, I feel that I would sound odd, embarrassing, or foolish if I complimented a person and they took it the wrong way. I usually say thank you and leave it at that, saving compliments for when I really do like something about a person and I had a fleeting moment of confidence to say it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was taught to always have good manners (as it is a reflection on my parents) so I am forever saying please, thank yous, you're welcomes and sorrys. I'm not bad at giving compliments, it's just that it doesn't come naturally to me. I WILL give a compliment if I really believe it though. I have always been terrible at receiving compliments. I find it so awkward and I convince myself that the person saying it is lying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts