Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly fish and only keep some of them to cook up when we're in need. I havn't hunted for a few years because I don't feel like killing like that, but my family is very much into hunting and are pressuring me to go with them again this fall (I feel so different from them, I'd rather just be in the woods to be in the quiet). I'm having a hard time justifying the thrill of hunting that I sometimes feel is good when most of the time it feels wrong...so:

How do you justify hunting and killing animals?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
If you just leave the dead animals there, then it might be easy food for another animal, eh?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just leave the dead animals there, then it might be easy food for another animal, eh?
True. I could kill the animal or it could be killed by another predator, disease, or old age. But, I find it hard to end an animals life when I have the choice to let it live or die. I could also argue against myself by saying that hunting is a kind of sustainable, healthy type of diet because the animals are local and are not pumped full of hormones. They are also allowed to live a free ranging healthy life. But that is until a hunter comes into the equation with the choice to end it's life for food by chance. So, I still don't know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We are omnivores and I think it's ok to kill for food. Think about nature, food chain, etc. :happy:
You hunt so you have your choice of food. No matter who do the "execution" - you or the industry, we still survive at the expense of other animal's lives. But what concerns me is the motivation behind the killing. Definitely NO to thrill seeking, excitement or any perverse pleasures.
Why not go play virtual hunting/ war/ slashing games for adrenaline rush or the feeling of power?

Also, I consider giving a living creature a prolonged suffering time before death a SIN :p If you kill, please do it quick, please~

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm going fishing tomorrow actually haha
I think it's perfectly fine once in awhile, I mean it's not like the modern person hunts all the time anyway I know I don't probably only a few times a year and I only fish, or crab. If you go to the store and buy meat or fish anyway your still somewhat supporting the hunters who probably use unhealthy methods to get mass amounts of product anyway...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I like to hunt and fish but I eat what I get. I like to pheasant hunt. It is hard to kill one. The first one I killed it made me feel so sick I vomited. But I also like the meat. I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking the life if it is to be used. But I could never do it just for the sport of it. Lift should be respected no matter if that life is a fish, animal, bird or human. I would suggest that if you don’t want to hunt and fish then just tell the people you don’t want to do it and then don’t. No one has the right to make you do something you are against.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
My dad used to try to get me to go hunting with him when I was younger. My parents were also into raising their own cattle and pigs for meat. I eventually grew up to be a vegetarian because of how badly it disturbed me. If you don't feel like doing it, tell them how you feel. We have a conscience for a reason.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Everytime I eat meat I feel bad about it, to varying degrees.

How do I justify it? I don't.

So why do I keep doing it?

It feels like watching somebody being raped in the street, and just ignoring it because it's too much of a bother to do anything about it. And people applaud this by telling me how I should be doing exactly as I am.

"Always live by your beliefs. Unless, you know, they're different from mine."

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are omnivores and I think it's ok to kill for food. Think about nature, food chain, etc. :happy:
You hunt so you have your choice of food. No matter who do the "execution" - you or the industry, we still survive at the expense of other animal's lives. But what concerns me is the motivation behind the killing. Definitely NO to thrill seeking, excitement or any perverse pleasures.
Why not go play virtual hunting/ war/ slashing games for adrenaline rush or the feeling of power?

Also, I consider giving a living creature a prolonged suffering time before death a SIN :p If you kill, please do it quick, please~
I totally agree. I didn't mean that I get a thrill out of killing. I meant that I get a thrill out of being out in the woods alone. My adrenaline does spike when I am in the moment of actually shooting an animal, but I can only explain that as a physical reaction. Mentally, I am debating whether or not to shoot while the animal is in sight. My first year of hunting was an awful experience because I was not good at aiming and shooting. The first animal I ever killed did suffer. It was painful to watch and I vowed that I would never let an animal suffer like that again so I enrolled in a marksmanship program and became better at shooting. In the moment of the hunt, if I could not shoot to kill in one quick shot, then I learned not to take the shot. So I am very particular over if I will shoot or not. Out of respect for the animal, I would rather kill it quickly rather than let it suffer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I know! :( I despise it when my dad goes fishing for fun, and not for food, because we could potentially ruin a life. I would love it if the world magically became vegetarian. :3
And hunting...I've watched too many Disney movies, lol. I could never hurt an animal that way, unless I had to feed my family/others and there is no possible way out. Still, anyone who kills for fun/trophy should be sent to rehab in my opinion, although that's just me being idealist again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going fishing tomorrow actually haha
I think it's perfectly fine once in awhile, I mean it's not like the modern person hunts all the time anyway I know I don't probably only a few times a year and I only fish, or crab. If you go to the store and buy meat or fish anyway your still somewhat supporting the hunters who probably use unhealthy methods to get mass amounts of product anyway...
I like to hunt and fish but I eat what I get. I like to pheasant hunt. It is hard to kill one. The first one I killed it made me feel so sick I vomited. But I also like the meat. I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking the life if it is to be used. But I could never do it just for the sport of it. Lift should be respected no matter if that life is a fish, animal, bird or human. I would suggest that if you don’t want to hunt and fish then just tell the people you don’t want to do it and then don’t. No one has the right to make you do something you are against.
I agree with you both. I've watched plenty of documentaries like Food Inc, which show you some of the insides on how our food is grown or slaughtered in America. I would rather hunt to get my own meat from a healthy, free animal that had a chance to live a full life in the wild doing what they do best rather than meat from a stock animal raised in a pen for the sole purpose of fattening up to be murdered for a an 85 cent McDonalds hamburger. The connection to life is lost in that sense.

I feel justified in the reasons to hunt wild animals, but I just have a hard time with killing. I have learned a lot about life and have gained a deep respect for it through having killed deer during deer hunting season. It is a hard task to perform, but I feel a deeper connection to the wild life because of it. I know some Native Americans even say prayers after having killed an animal for food. I think there is something there that modern society has forgotten.

477 Posts
Killing other living creatures for recreation is NOT part of the food chain. Hunting is for survival, that's it. When you hunt animals so you can survive, all it means that you value yourself over any given member of their species, which is more or less justifiable. However, if you hunt animals for fun, it means that you value a few hours of pleasure over the entire lives of multiple animals. While species that are low on the food chain may seem like no more than prey to predators like us, that does not make them toys that we can just slaughter for our own entertainment.

(While I am vegetarian, this applies to meat-eaters as well.)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I have no qualms with fishing, although I do feel a bit guilty at certain points. Ultimately, I think fishing them up myself is probably more humane than what happens on the real fishing boats.

As for hunting, I have mixed feelings. I don't particularly like it for -simply- sport. I'm not too keen on someone with deer piss on him, camouflaged a quarter of a mile away with his top of the line gun scope, killing an animal then bragging about how bad ass he/she is. A real hunter to me uses their mind, and basic level tools to complete their kill. That could mean traps, standard weapons like a knife, whatever. If you can -best- an animal with simple tools then I'd be impressed.

If it's not for bragging rights and the animal is intended for actual consumption, then ultimately you have to do whatever ensures you have something to eat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hunting animals to eat is more ethical than buying meat from the grocery. Unless of course you buy all free range all organic all the time, or are vegetarian/vegan.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, this is where I question even being a vegetarian. The unfortunate thing is that we have to kill living beings to eat whether that be a deer or asparagus. We still are ending the life of a living organism. We can't live off of inorganic materials like rocks that contain minerals. We are omnivores with a conscience. So, yes we have the choice to eat meat or veggies only, yet either way we are killing something.

Lets say that I like to "hunt" for wild morel mushrooms. Is that any different than killing a deer except for the fact that killing a deer is much more bloody than plucking a mushroom from it's root. In both instances the act of hunting ends the life of a living organism. Is it an issue of which feels more pain? If a mushroom feels pain, it would be difficult to tell as compared to the deer. If it is an issue of which animal is lower on the food chain, is that any more ethical than picking out the one on the top seeing as they are both living?

So, this is where it gets difficult. I don't feel justified in killing either a mushroom or a deer, but how else could I survive as an omnivorous organism? I need nutrients to live just the same as any other living organism. If only there were a way to survive without killing any living organism, right?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see any problem with hunting animals for food.

However, hunting for the sheer pleasure of it .. I find that rather questionable.
I know! :( I despise it when my dad goes fishing for fun, and not for food, because we could potentially ruin a life. I would love it if the world magically became vegetarian. :3
And hunting...I've watched too many Disney movies, lol. I could never hurt an animal that way, unless I had to feed my family/others and there is no possible way out. Still, anyone who kills for fun/trophy should be sent to rehab in my opinion, although that's just me being idealist again.
Killing other living creatures for recreation is NOT part of the food chain. Hunting is for survival, that's it. When you hunt animals so you can survive, all it means that you value yourself over any given member of their species, which is more or less justifiable. However, if you hunt animals for fun, it means that you value a few hours of pleasure over the entire lives of multiple animals. While species that are low on the food chain may seem like no more than prey to predators like us, that does not make them toys that we can just slaughter for our own entertainment.

(While I am vegetarian, this applies to meat-eaters as well.)

I agree with each of you. I'm not to fond on killing for sport. I don't consider hunting a sport. Fishing is a sport because you can fish for fun in a more ethical way that would cause less harm to the fish and also release them afterwards. If I were to keep a fish for food, I would consider that hunting for a fish. I don't really believe in mounting animals either. I've caught trophy fish before, but have let them go after a good photo session. Hunting involves the intention to kill. Scouting involves looking for signs of animals and spotting them or possibly taking a photo of them, so I would consider that the "sport" part of hunting I guess. Therefore, the word "hunting" I would completely associate with the intention to find and kill an animal.

Hunting and fishing seem to be so ethically bound that I might soon find justification to stop. The hard part is that I'm a big outdoorsman. I love to be out in the woods or on the water. I guess I would rather remain an observer than a sportsman.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I honestly could never go hunting. I like fishing, but mostly for the sitting around and talking part. It's fun to catch a fish, but I don't do the killing or the eating; I always let everyone else eat what I catch. I just can't stomach eating something that was alive a short while ago, and I couldn't ever kill it myself :confused:

If you don't want to hunt, you shouldn't do it. It will probably be an upsetting experience.

477 Posts
Well, this is where I question even being a vegetarian. The unfortunate thing is that we have to kill living beings to eat whether that be a deer or asparagus. We still are ending the life of a living organism. We can't live off of inorganic materials like rocks that contain minerals. We are omnivores with a conscience. So, yes we have the choice to eat meat or veggies only, yet either way we are killing something.

Lets say that I like to "hunt" for wild morel mushrooms. Is that any different than killing a deer except for the fact that killing a deer is much more bloody than plucking a mushroom from it's root. In both instances the act of hunting ends the life of a living organism. Is it an issue of which feels more pain? If a mushroom feels pain, it would be difficult to tell as compared to the deer. If it is an issue of which animal is lower on the food chain, is that any more ethical than picking out the one on the top seeing as they are both living?

So, this is where it gets difficult. I don't feel justified in killing either a mushroom or a deer, but how else could I survive as an omnivorous organism? I need nutrients to live just the same as any other living organism. If only there were a way to survive without killing any living organism, right?
If mushrooms DID feel pain, than killing them would be an ethical concern (for me at least). However, since they don't, I don't see any problem with eating them. "Life" has no "inherent" importance. We kill bacteria all the time without even noticing it. If deer were just large bacteria, then there would be no moral ramifications for killing them. But they feel pain. They also feel emotions (even if they are very simple things such as "happy" or "excited"), have families, etc. Just like humans do. The only difference is that they are less intelligent, and lower on the food chain. And, in my opinion, that doesn't give us an excuse to kill them for amusement. As you said, when it becomes necessary for survival, everything changes. But very few people still have a lifestyle where they need to kill to eat. My guess is that if somebody is hunting for food, they are doing it for the experience (or the taste). I'm sure some people will argue that meat is necessary for certain nutrients, but this brings up the question: Which is more important, getting protein a bit easier, or preserving the life of a sentient being?

(Ok, I'm getting a bit blatant in my vegetarian propaganda here :wink: So please, go ahead and criticize my arguments, I would like to hear some respectfully-presented opposing viewpoints.)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I can't do it anymore. I used to hunt and fish all the time, but for some reason I just cant justify the killing of another living creature anymore. I've developed severe OCD concerning the death of living creatures for some reason. I freak out if I step on a bug for christ's sake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts