Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
@Karla

Cute avatar!

I feel involved in an unchanging and deeply personal cause to seek justice and protection for those in pain within my limited and ever-changing sphere of influence. I don't feel connected to someone else's structured cause. The manifestation of my cause shifts and changes depending on the resources available to me, and the passions of my heart at that moment. It's an art. The cause must remain an untamed fire. Placing the flame on the wick of a candle to concentrate it just hasn't worked for me.

The worldly happenings don't typically shift or influence my calling. I have a few things that I've always felt were greatly important to me, and it hasn't changed. In particular, I feel a huge pull to bring emotional healing to friends and acquaintances with internal scars.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Why should I change anything? Look around - this is all going down anyway. "The Earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it. Nobody will miss it".

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

But seriously - I have enough to do where I live. I guess that the world has to count on somebody wiser than me. I used to feel more involved in the past, though - when I thought that a good idea is enough to make a change. Pretty soon I've had to realize that I'm wrong. Sometimes nobody wants your good idea. And people are like "just go away with your tendencies to make a mess". It doesn't matter that it would be temporary.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Do you feel involved in a cause?
Do the worldly happenings make you do something to change the world, somehow?
Isn't this what being an INFJ is all about????

Yes I am involved in several causes. Particularly my interests are ending poverty; ending homelessness; education equality for all people; ending all wars and promoting world peace; anything involving children.

Injustice makes me angry. I can't watch the news because I get overwhelmed. When I see people getting hurt, that's what makes me want to fight even harder for what I believe in. There's so many people out there who cannot do anything about their position in the world but I have been blessed with the ability to be able to and I will because I know we can make this world a better place than it is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I used to be really politically involved in protection for the environment. But I eventually lost hope in humanity's capabilities to care. I then decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm currently working towards my Masters in Ecological Restoration, since it is too late to prevent damage to the world, I might as well prepare myself as best as I can to be able to fix it lol.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts

Not at all. Infps are more the "idealists" and passionate about causes like animal rights or want not. I see all sides of the equation often so it's not as easy to pick a cause as you might like to think. Just my personal observations.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The wonderful idea to change the world... I just imagined what that would be like to really try to change something huge, and I just see a lonely Don Quixote in the sun, facing his enemies with unwavering faith (both sad and disappointing, and worth admiring thing to do)... Isn't that what being an INFP could be about? (this is a question - not an assumption)

No matter what - I don't suit to this picture. I don't like the spotlight. I am the shade.
(But that's just me and my opinion).

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I would like to participate in the creation of a better (or 'true') society. I think serving others is what motivates me to become better, if I can embody some sort of wisdom, then I am able to realize some greater capacity, and a part of that is generativity or giving back. Both societies and individuals are mutually self-regulating systems.

But it isn't motivated by opinion or politics. I often think we're too willing to accept differences in opinion about what is 'the good', and having critical conversations with people is a lot harder. There's speaking your truth, and then there's speaking the truth. I'd prefer to do the latter. I think even just treating others with humanity and developing the capacity to detach ourselves from our own self-interest is probably enough to make the world far better than it is.

·
Registered
930 Posts
all of my greatest inspirations for the world are INFJs (or apparently so, never knew them so can't say) Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Oprah Winfrey... never doubt that a small group of people can change the world... I believe that people are truly good and I will never lose faith in humanity

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I feel more useful and less overwhelmed when I keep a distance from the big events of the world. Helping one person at a time suits me much more.

I once followed political races, space shuttle launches, and the like, mostly to be involved with history in the making.
Nowadays, politics, protests, and even watching television in general catches my eye for one split second before the "shiny red ball" leads me away to a better place.

I still care about causes and fundraisers, but only if they are local, and not part of a super-corporate organization.

·
Registered
149 Posts
all of my greatest inspirations for the world are INFJs (or apparently so, never knew them so can't say) Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Oprah Winfrey... never doubt that a small group of people can change the world... I believe that people are truly good and I will never lose faith in humanity
Actually not all of these people you've mentioned here are INFJs. I have seen these people listed on websites but think people have wrong ideas of us -a very idealized view. I'm not pointing finger at anyone but, personally I can quickly recognize another INFJ, even when I don't see them face to face (online, as here).

Mother Teresa is an ISFJ. Martin Luther King is probably an ENFJ, Nelson Mandela too appears to be an ENFJ however his autobiography "A Long Walk to Freedom" showed me an INFJ so I'm not sure. There is over 80% possibility that Jesus was an INFJ. I'm not familiar with Oprah's background, but as I see her in talk shows, she is not an INFJ.

Reactions: Amy

·
Registered
149 Posts
I really do not pay much attention to the happening of the world. I'm just trying to do the best I can to help people who I come across and I do that because I don't like to see people who are in pain specially when they are children (under 18) I'm an educator so I deal with them. Even before I found I was an INFJ I did the same although back them I was pretty sure I was suffering from some kind of a mental illness :D

Even when I try to make everything better for people around me, I'm aware of my limits. I mean, I don't like that sometimes I have to give up on someone because no one realizes exactly why I do what I do. I go mad if someone question my motives! I have none for myself, I just want to help the other person.

It's really interesting to find many here do not like politics. same here.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Honestly wish I could be more invested in a cause like poverty or animal rights. But to echo the sentiments of @Copper North and @hppygrl, it's just not in me to be spurred into action by a cause that I cannot tangibly see impact the people around me.

I think I used to be more enamoured with lofty abstract ideas about the world and mankind, and I do still ponder these things, but I have come to see them as abstract concepts that cannot fuel my everyday actions productively.

So I would rather invest more energy and action into a smaller, tangible cause. I'm in a stressful school environment now, surrounded by stressed-out friends and acquaintances, hence I am able to see the ill effects on their mental health first-hand. Plus I have a background of mental illness. So I do feel very strongly about mental health, although being self-conscious of the stigma and so forth does severely limit what I am willing to do. Writing about how I feel about the issue, on the other hand, and discussing it with people personally to inform them, is more in my comfort zone.

And I really enjoy day-to-day community service! Doesn't have to be any particular cause, the satisfaction I get during those moments of directly helping the beneficiaries is equal regardless of who they are.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I don't like the way politics work in the world...

I'm trying to make a little change through little steps of mine and through helping those who are in need of help. I can't change the world, but other people will probably see and recognize what I'm doing and what is actually right and fair. That's what I want.

I want to make people realize that through understanding and fairness - the world could be a much better place.
That just through doing a little nice thing for other person, you've done something great.

I want to help those people suffering in physical and/or psychical pain. I don't want them to feel alone, because I, myself know that feeling very well.
Being there for them and making their days brighter and painless... It's something that fuels me. Knowing that there's a perspective future for them after I've helped them with recovering - is something I live for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts