Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever joined Toastmasters? What was your experiences? Did you find it beneficial? What did you learn, if anything?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know this isn't the exact answer that you're looking for, but it might help a little.

I was in Toastmaster's Youth Leadership Program during high school. I found it to be very beneficial because it highlighted issues that I wouldn't normally think of when giving a speech, such as how to use your space, hand gestures, use of props, vocal variety, etc. I've found it very helpful, though I definitely still have room for improvement :)

My mom has been a member of Toastmasters for several years and she loves it. She is in both a regular club (one anyone can join) and a professional club (I think you have to be in a regular club and be voted in to join this one). I've seen her become more comfortable with giving speeches, and the overall quality of her speeches have improved, too. Because of this, she's begun to incorporate speeches into her job, which has been giving her more clients. She also has made some really good friends through Toastmasters.

Maybe you could see if you can sit in on a local club's meeting before deciding if you want to join or not. I know the regular club my mom is a part of oftentimes has visitors. Even though I probably sound like a spokesperson for Toastmasters, it might not be for everyone because it does take a lot of time. In my YLP group, only about half of the other members really got anything from the program because we were motivated to practice and work on improvement. The other half was forced to be there by their parents.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts