Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever find yourself with somebody where the conversation is so non-stimulating by discussing American Idol, celebrity gossip, water systems, etc. etc. that you practically would rather beat your head against a wall but you don't want to be rude so you go with it and deal anyway acting as if you care?

Agghhh... I've had too much of this recently and it makes me want to scream... I can only fake that I care so much. :sad:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Why fake that you care? You are LYING!!!!

Just say "American Idol? You really watch that? Why? What do you find interesting about it? Were you molested by goats as a child?"

There's no need for a conversation to be boring. You can turn it into something interesting.

·
Banned
89 Posts
I call it normal people talk. I have the attention span of a two year old when it comes to normal people talk. I can usually find a way to spice up the conversation by changing the subject. Example: "American Idol is not my thing ...but do you watch (insert something you're interested in here)"
If that approach is totally hopeless and I can't steer them to a more interesting subject i usually start looking for an escape hatch lol.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I call it normal people talk. I have the attention span of a two year old when it comes to normal people talk. I can usually find a way to spice up the conversation by changing the subject. Example: "American Idol is not my thing ...but do you watch (insert something you're interested in here)"
If that approach is totally hopeless and I can't steer them to a more interesting subject i usually start looking for an escape hatch lol.
if my friends starting talking about unstimulated stuff i act the exact way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can totally relate! I see this kind of conversation in a similar way as I do "small talk". And I have some good friends who will engage in this. Sometimes I try to steer the conversation elsewhere. But sometimes you know this person really wants to talk about this, so if they're your friend, you don't want to stop them from sharing what's on their mind. (God knows, I like to go on about things that people think are totally strange and most of my friends will politely humor me.) So as much as I hate pretending to be interested, I do it to some degree. Sometimes I pay just enough attention to keep up with what they are saying so that I can comment if something worthwhile comes up. And meanwhile, I'm also off daydreaming about other things. I like to multi-task that way. :happy:

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's too depressing for me to have these conversations, it just emphasizes how I can't really get to people the way I want to...

I communicate with a few people, so that I wouldn't have to change myself, cause it feels so lonely doing that...

I would be willing to make the effort if the person means a lot to me, and somehow there's no communication. I would dig deeper into myself to find something in common, even the little...it would still feel like fake, but for a good cause...

·
Registered
946 Posts
My work is full of these people and it's killing me. I'll usually end up spacing out and wander off within about 20 seconds, mumbling something like "hmmph, yeah.. interesting." I must look like such a dick.

Why I keep getting invited to group lunches and events after work I can never guess.

The worst was when an ESFJ Korean woman glommed onto me for about 7 months. Very cute, but couldn't stop talking about her clothes, her car, American Idol, her damn farm game, her penchant for Hello Kitty stuff. The only interesting part was all her major issues (she was marrying a pimp for one -wtf?), but of course she wouldn't listen to a damn thing I said. What a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of my friends do this....it could be because almost all of my friends are males. :mellow:
Many of my friends are guy friends... but with the few female friends I do have I do run into this issue. The best one is when they start talking about painting or wedding gifts...... oh fml.
If I get married... if one of my girl friends tries to set me up a bridal shower where I have to sit there and open presents in front of people to hear them go "ohh such a nice blender" to then listen to people talk about it for the next 5 minutes until I open another one I might scream.... I would seriously rather eat dirt. My goodness.

And yes I go into my little daydream land too when people do this. What sucks is if I'm with somebody who has such non-stimulating discussions and is uber-sensitive, such as ESFJ, I'm pretty much screwed because they'll find my "dazing out" as rude.

Agh, ok done venting for now.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why fake that you care? You are LYING!!!!

Just say "American Idol? You really watch that? Why? What do you find interesting about it? Were you molested by goats as a child?"

There's no need for a conversation to be boring. You can turn it into something interesting.
Perhaps....... if I don't end up talking above the persons head and then they end up getting offended or confused due to my theoretical ideas that their teeny brains can't seem to grasp.

Reactions: SarahWilliams

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, and it's horrible. Usually in these sort of conversations I can't really feign interest so I just divert eye contact and start giving one word replies until they shut up. Other times I try to shift the conversation into something more interesting yet still relevant to the original topic. It doesn't always work though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
9 times out of 10 I'm severely disinterested in the average conversation. It's like they are all living on the surface when the world is such a deep, complex place. But (thankfully?) I'm a horrible lier so people can tell when I'm bored and will usually change the subject. Although, the subject they change to usually isn't any better. I appreciate the attempt anyway. :happy:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
shot myself in the head.

kidding

kidding

still, tolerating can only stand a little on how i deal with it

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Ever find yourself with somebody where the conversation is so non-stimulating by discussing American Idol, celebrity gossip, water systems, etc. etc. that you practically would rather beat your head against a wall but you don't want to be rude so you go with it and deal anyway acting as if you care?

Agghhh... I've had too much of this recently and it makes me want to scream... I can only fake that I care so much. :sad:
in some creative way shape or form do something more interesting than the bore.

we can shake things up a bit if we are provoked...

and american idle...
idle conversation...

just yawn or something and say "this is really interesting :dry:"

girlc you rock my world. don't be subjecting yourself to that if you don't want to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ever find yourself with somebody where the conversation is so non-stimulating by discussing American Idol, celebrity gossip, water systems
Actually water systems can be really interesting. London's sewerage system came into being during the "great stink" of 1858 and there are many miles of victorian sewer still in operation. The pumping stations were often fantastic buildings- one of the best being the Crossness pumping station opened in 1865 (now a grade 1 listed building - resplendant in romanesque ornamental iron work) and sported 4 beam engines with 52 ton flywheels.......................

What's the matter? why is everyone alseep? are you not interested in water systems?

Sorry I really couldn't resist that :blushed:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually water systems can be really interesting. London's sewerage system came into being during the "great stink" of 1858 and there are many miles of victorian sewer still in operation. The pumping stations were often fantastic buildings- one of the best being the Crossness pumping station opened in 1865 (now a grade 1 listed building - resplendant in romanesque ornamental iron work) and sported 4 beam engines with 52 ton flywheels.......................

What's the matter? why is everyone alseep? are you not interested in water systems?

Sorry I really couldn't resist that :blushed:
"My husband told me that it's illegal for more than 4 semis to drive all in a row on the highway..."
"You know when you live in the country sometimes the power goes out in the winter and you need a generator to stay warm..."

... as if I can't comprehend such basic concepts.

"Sorry its not that I don't get it, it is just that I'm bored and don't care."

What's sad is that sometimes, with some people, when I try to put an interesting twist to it they don't get where I'm coming from and get confused and then will try to "correct me".. aghhh.

Anyway... carrying on... hope everyone has a stimulating day!! :laughing:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Is it not bad enough that these people had to actually live through the tedious, trivial, mundane aspects of their day. Must I be forced to relive them as well? When I ask someone how her day was, responses such as "good" or "bad" are sufficient.

I think we intuit so strongly that very little actually needs to be said. From a few simple words about some mundane topic we have gleaned and extrapolated everything that could possible be said about the issue, in a very big picture sort of way. Very little actually needs to be said about the concrete world, but we are surrounded by concrete-thinking, detail-oriented S types (or course it is not only S types who do this, but...).

I definitely zone out. I occupy my mind with other things, and attempt to get just enough of the conversation to stay in the game, so to speak. Anyone who is truly interested in talking about such things probably won't be self-aware enough to notice anyway. Unfortunately, I am very patient and give off this aura of being incredibly interested in what another person is saying at all times. I nod at the right moments, make the correct responses. I cannot help it. I just have this demeanor I suppose I invite such conversations.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a positive note... I did have a stimulating conversation while drinking with an ENTP bartender. I don't even remember what it started with, but it ended with us coming to the conclusion that alcoholics are necessary to have professional sports teams because otherwise there would not be an audience for it.

My ESFP guy friend was listening in and responded with "Dang, you're too smart for me... what you hanging out with me for?" LOL :tongue:

·
Registered
59 Posts
No offense to anyone (including myself), but do we all sound arrogant? Do you think the rest of the world thinks we're arrogant? Or do they think we are just boring for not being interested in their tantalizing conversation?

·
Registered
215 Posts
FYI-Even though I'm labeled as an INTP, I'm an INXX, and have some strong INFJ tendencies.

I have this same problem frequently. A lot of people think I'm much more shy than I am, when in reality, I just think 90% of the conversations people have are unbearably boring. If I can, I just walk away, if I can't, I try to change the subject. I also have the unfortunate habit of bursting into seemingly inexplicable laughter when I'm listening into an average conversation, because it seems so bizarre for people to actually enjoy conversations as boring as the ones their having. It's like watching someone slam their hand in a drawer for kicks.

EDIT: My bad on the threadomancy, the downside of related topic feature.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts