Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really sure what mbti type he is. I'm positive that he's an NF. Maybe INFJ? Although he could be an ISFP...

·
Registered
43 Posts
He seems to be very outgoing and comfortable around people so I wouldn't quite say he's an introvert (though I could be wrong).

·
Registered
610 Posts
He seems like an Fi user.

·
Registered
17 Posts
He's one of those wonderfully self-assured people with whom it is impossible to tell if they are introverts or extroverts! I'd agree with the NF part. Whether he is an INFP/J or ENFP/J, I have no idea. Need to watch more interviews. He's such a lovely person, though, that it will not be a hardship!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally think he's more INFP. He's far too soft spoken to be an extrovert, and he always seems very laid back. People with J's tend to have more of an edge to them. I also found out INFPs pick up foreign languages easier than others- Tom speaks A LOT of different languages pretty well. In one description I read about INFPs, it said that they are known to see the good in everybody, including the most unlovable people. Tom is notorious for saying that Loki just needs someone to love him. He's said that he has always found sympathy for the bad guys and liked Darth Vader when he was little too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally think he's more INFP. He's far too soft spoken to be an extrovert, and he always seems very laid back. People with J's tend to have more of an edge to them. I also found out INFPs pick up foreign languages easier than others- Tom speaks A LOT of different languages pretty well. In one description I read about INFPs, it said that they are known to see the good in everybody, including the most unlovable people. Tom is notorious for saying that Loki just needs someone to love him. He's said that he has always found sympathy for the bad guys and liked Darth Vader when he was little too.
I agree with most of what you've said, but he seems so relaxed around people, I'd guess that he is an ENFP. As an introvert, I don't think I could be so comfortable around strangers the way he is.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also found out INFPs pick up foreign languages easier than others- Tom speaks A LOT of different languages pretty well. In one description I read about INFPs, it said that they are known to see the good in everybody, including the most unlovable people. Tom is notorious for saying that Loki just needs someone to love him. He's said that he has always found sympathy for the bad guys and liked Darth Vader when he was little too.
I'm an INFJ and all of this is very true for me as well. Not saying I have an opinion about Tom, but I just thought I'd throw that out there fyi.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with most of what you've said, but he seems so relaxed around people, I'd guess that he is an ENFP. As an introvert, I don't think I could be so comfortable around strangers the way he is.
That may be true... But at the same time, I'm very uncomfortable around strangers, and most people would never guess that. Idk about INFPs but INFJs at least can come across as quite extroverted when they want to. Many people I know actually do think I'm an extrovert. Also, with so much attention focused on him, Tom likely does some sort of mental preparation before he has an interview or meets fans, in order to feel more comfortable in that sort of situation. You hear about a lot of famous people saying they're actually shy and introverted, though you wouldn't always guess it by seeing them in the media. Again, just something to think about...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I actually mentioned this in the Famous INFJs thread--I think he is an INFJ. His mannerisms are pretty much carbon copies of every INFJ in those type videos: he speaks very softly, albeit warmly, which is probably why he can be easily mistaken as an extrovert. And if you know the soup story, and have seen his facial expressions, he seems very Fe. :) And he's sort of a classicist (studied Classics at Cambridge), which is very typical of INFJs.

And actually, not all J's are highly strung--inwardly, they may be, but they may not express it to others. I always score highly as a Judger, but a friend once said to me, "I can see you being a hippie, because you're just SO laidback and easygoing!" O_O (And in case it wasn't clear, I'm not a flower child, haha.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe he is an INFP (Though J is certainly an alternative), no doubt about him being an INF! But in general he is extremely soft-spoken and has called himself a “sentimental old goat” which seems very INFP'ish to me. Then there's, INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP will have pity... Now that may not be 100% accurate and not every INFP is that (Me included) but Tom fits that almost too perfectly (Of course I don't know him personally, for all we know Tom could be a horrible guy but I try not to think about that xD) so yeah, I dunno I am leaning slightly more to INFP but I wouldn't argue too much with someone who thinks INFJ because I see him as both, infp only slightly tips the scale.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I believe he is an INFP (Though J is certainly an alternative), no doubt about him being an INF! But in general he is extremely soft-spoken and has called himself a “sentimental old goat” which seems very INFP'ish to me. Then there's, INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP will have pity... Now that may not be 100% accurate and not every INFP is that (Me included) but Tom fits that almost too perfectly (Of course I don't know him personally, for all we know Tom could be a horrible guy but I try not to think about that xD) so yeah, I dunno I am leaning slightly more to INFP but I wouldn't argue too much with someone who thinks INFJ because I see him as both, infp only slightly tips the scale.
Hmmm, this is interesting...people say I could be either an INFJ or INFP, so maybe I'm a lot like Tom then! ;) Anywho...I think both INF's can see the good in almost anyone--a lot of people of both types that I know are like that.

Frankly, however, I can't imagine Tom being a horrible guy irl...I mean, he played a villain, but, y'know, that's just acting... O__O ;D

·
Registered
555 Posts
And as INFP's we have a tendency to find ways that we can relate and empathize with almost anyone, which can lead us to typing others as INFP's based on this. But, this time, I'm going to have to disagree with Tom being an INFP. While I think we can definitely relate on certain levels (NF party over heeeeere!), there's a certain obvious J-ness there that I can't dismiss.

I honestly get an ENFJ vibe, but I can also see INFJ. And let's not forget that I__J's can have a tendency to come off as extroverted. It doesn't help that he reminds me of my ENFJ friend at times lol But simply being reminded of someone isn't exactly a good basis for this kind of thing.

While we're all most definitely not all the same, try comparing Tom to (likely) INFP Johnny Depp.

Also you have no idea how much this fuels how utterly and badly I want an ENFJ guy (YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would agree that he's not an introvert. If you watch him in interviews, he dominates the conversation - he's very, very verbose. Which tells me he has a lot to say and considers what he has to say to be worth hearing. If there's another cast member(s) with him, he not only dominates but looks antsy waiting for his opportunity to jump in and speak. On a few talk shows, he was clearly the spokesperson for the group and was quite comfortable in that role. His eagerness to do his impressions, play guitar, sing and rap are all very extroverted actions to me. His gentle manner of speaking and demeanor can be chalked up to a cultural predilection (the stereotypical British reserve versus American brassiness). Of course, I don't know if this is just strictly appearances but we don't really have much more to go on than outward appearances.

·
Registered
744 Posts
hmm I don't think he's an extravert, and I do think he is INFX
I think he uses a lot of Fe because he's very good with social etiquette and is very good at knowing how a person is feeling, very interested in how people relate to each other, etc.
Also, I do notice INFJs having a certain somberness inside whereas INFPs can be melancholy, of course, but there's a certain malleable element to them that gives them a certain easy-going vibe. Sometimes he is pretty outgoing, but I've noticed it being pretty rare
I've never seen him dominate the conversation or be the spokesperson though, but everyone interprets things differently

·
Registered
82 Posts
I personally think he's more INFP. He's far too soft spoken to be an extrovert, and he always seems very laid back.
Yes, but we have to factor in his upbringing and culture. Forgive me if I'm being overly sterotypical here but I've always heard that Europeans are generally quieter than Americans. Not meaning that Europeans can't be loud but I've heard a lot of stories of Europeans being able to pick out the "American tourists" because of the way we (Americans) talk. I don't know if it's because we project our voices more or what but it could be a factor into why he's so soft-spoken.

Also, we have to factor in how he was educated. Again I'm assuming here (please correct me if I'm wrong) but he's studied at RAMA, Oxford, and Cambridge. When he was younger he studied at Eton. Now this could or could not be a factor but I highly doubt you can act ridiculous at any of those schools while in classes. Outside of classes? Sure why not. But in a place like Eton I would assume the boys are taught to be well-mannered and highly educated. And considered they board at the school I'm again assuming they are monitored by faculty. Now while personality can overcome any education or teachings, childhood reinforcements (whether positive or negative) can extremely influence how a person grows and behaves in later years. T

his being said it's highly possible he is an Extravert but acts like an Introvert because he was taught to behave like one. Is he a grown man who makes his own decisions? Yes. But it's hard to excape something as strong as teachings from your childhood particularly if you boarded there for countless months out of a year.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all. It's very possible he is an Introvert. I'm just saying we need to think about other things in his life as well.

I actually mentioned this in the Famous INFJs thread--I think he is an INFJ. His mannerisms are pretty much carbon copies of every INFJ in those type videos: he speaks very softly, albeit warmly, which is probably why he can be easily mistaken as an extrovert. And if you know the soup story, and have seen his facial expressions, he seems very Fe. :) And he's sort of a classicist (studied Classics at Cambridge), which is very typical of INFJs.

And actually, not all J's are highly strung--inwardly, they may be, but they may not express it to others. I always score highly as a Judger, but a friend once said to me, "I can see you being a hippie, because you're just SO laidback and easygoing!" O_O (And in case it wasn't clear, I'm not a flower child, haha.)
Yes, but I thought he has said he only took those classes because his father wanted him to do something practical with his education. Tom has said in interviews before that his dad wasn't too keen with Tom wanting to be an actor. He may have taken the Classics for his own joy, though. *shrug*

I do know he's definitely an NF--that I agree with everyone on that matter. However the rest is up in the air. He is soft-spoken which either could be his mannerisms or his personality (if it's his type then it points to Introversion). However he is really crazy and silly at times so maybe he's extroverted?

And I have no idea if he's an F or a P. He's got me completely stumped on that one. His persona and he himself are different. I'm not saying he's polar opposites but he's very careful with how the world (and particularly his fans) views him. However, you get moments like this:

and all of these random other things and I wonder...haha! He's great at impressions. I don't know what personality type may be good at that. I do know ENFP's are notorious for making random weirdo sounds all of the time. I personally can't do human impressions but I can do animals (cats, dogs, frogs, birds, etc.) and random objects. Also if I hear sounds that are new I tend to "play" with them (aka I try to mimic/mix them up). So maybe this is a P thing?

Then again he strikes me (I'm not trying to be rude here so please forgive me if I am) a bit dorky. Like that weirdo dorky that's cute but still a little geeky. I can't explain it. I had a friend in high school who was very well spoken but introverted and geeky. He cared a lot about what people thought of him. Tom seems to care A LOT about how people percieve him. Whereas people like, say, Robert Downey Jr. don't give a flip about what people think. J vs. P. I would also make sense if he was Judging because he was like the leader of everything growing up, right? Like he was head boy or something in Eton, he got a double-first at Cambridge. He was on a sports team, I think, but I don't remember if he was captain at one point. Point is he apparently likes to lead--very J-ish if you ask me.

Okay I'm going to shut-up for now and give my diagnosis: ENFJ
E--because he seems to really feed off of peoples energies.
N--Well, just because he is!
F--Crazy feeling
J--because he cares a lot about others. He "mothers" (er...fathers?) them. He gives his fans individualized attention no matter how inconvient it is for him. He's quick to worry about the wellfare of others. He even brought soup to a reporter who mentioned that he wanted some. He's ALWAYS apologizing for everything. I mean, EVERYTHING. Very Jishy (<----I made a new word! :tongue:).

Anyways, theres my ridiculously long post about it. Don't freak out too much that I knew all that crap about him. I'm an ENFP so he was one of my random "OMGIHaveToResearchThisUntilIQuitCaring!" moments a few months ago. :laughing: (<---By the way, I know this guy face is supposed to show laughter but honestly he just creeps me out with the giant X for a face. BUT maybe that's just me....:wink:).

1 - 20 of 265 Posts