Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel like school just isn't for you?

Everyone else I know is doing so well. They have their whole lives planned out for them already. As for me, I'm stuck. I'm a second year student at a junior college and I feel like my life isn't going anywhere. I don't have a plan. I don't have a major. & I have no motivation whatsoever. I'm just an average student who is pretty much just taking a bunch general education classes to transfer.. Is there anything wrong with not knowing where my life is going yet? Am I being too hard on myself? Or is school really not for me?

I'd love to hear what you think.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I don't really know where to go or what to do. Best plan I can really come up with and stick with is just getting all my general classes over with and moving on. I've never felt any real direction in school or have any ambition. I was just told to get it over with. So that's what I've always focused on. Doing enough to get by. Never really thought about a career or what I enjoyed so now I'm stuck trying to figure out now. But it's okay though, because at least you're trying. And that will pay off regardless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was going to do. I just felt stupid cause all of my other friends seem to know where they're going. But at least I know that I'm not alone.

Good luck with school, and if you ever figure out your career, let me know. I'd love to hear about how you found out and stuff. :D

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
I did the junior college thing ( with one thing in mind ), went to four year college and got a degree but then when I started to work in that field I found something else I was interested in and switched jobs.

A college degree just shows an employer you can stick it out. I once hired a professional drummer ( he had a music degree) as an computer programmer and he turned out to be pretty good.

The person in the cubicle next to mine has a masters in religion and she is an engineer.

That goes to show you that its all about sticking it out. IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try working in some industry for a while to get some basic job skills.
I flunked out of engineering school because I spent most of it fly fishing and it was my parent's dream, not mine. Then I worked as a Unix admin for a number of years before deciding I wanted to work in law enforcement. I went to college in my late 20s and then achieved my goal. My focus on my studies was UNREAL as it was what I wanted and besides I loved competing against my classmates and destroying the curve, muahaha.
You may not know what it is you really want to have for a career at a young age, getting work skills can't hurt you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's my advice:

Get those general education credits over with first and take classes that interest you to fulfill them. I think this would help you to choose a major and what you want to do next because you would have your feet dipped into various springs that would lead to better self knoledge of your proffessional interests. It would be nice to only have to take classes related to your major or only classes that interest you, but unfortunately that isn't how the "system" works in college.

Get to know your personal skills and talents and use them: read the book Do What You Are. It has a lot of great information about using your personality type to your advantage. Go to your college advisor and ask to take the Holland's Career test and the Myers Briggs because you will get a very detailed report for free. The Hollands is an assessment of your skills rather than your personality like the Myers Briggs test, but using them both together will definetly help.

This advice comes from my 6 years of mistakes in college (you don't have to take all of my advice, but perhaps someone will do better from my mistakes and what I think I've learned):

In high school I took all music and com. arts courses in my junior and senior years (played brass instruments for 7 years throughout middle and high school and became the top of my class). After high school I went to a four year college right away thinking that I wanted to study Natural Resources because I was an outdoorsy guy and spent a lot of time in Boy Scouts, but I had no skills in science and ended up leaving early within my first semester due to frustration with the courses and general lack of interest in my major (plus home sickness, missed my family and girlfriend because I was 3 hours away from home). After that I went to a two year college to get some general education courses done and almost became a music major there (I took a lot of music and english courses there for a year and a half as a part time student), but instead of finishing there with my Associates Degree, I transferred again to a four year college to study Environmental Science. Same mistake. I loved to study nature, but science was the wrong place for me because I realized later that I had more skills in writing due to my high school coursework. I then transferred back to the two year college to finally get my Associates degree.

So where am I now? I'm taking a semester break working at my job for $10 an hour with $18,000+ in debt (some of which is in doctors bills and credit card bills plus school loans that I have to start paying off immediatlely). I took the semester break because I still don't know that I want to do after 6 years of being in school. If you are unsure of what you want to do, I would advise that you take a break to work and make some money. You can always go back to school in a semester or in a year. I am going to be forced to because I can't find any worthwhile jobs with my Associates Degree. As an INFP, I have high standards, so the job I'm in now won't do for a career. I'm considering going back to my second four year college to finish up with a degree in English and a minor in Env. Studies (due to my previous coursework, I'd already have the minor), but the only thing holding me back now is my debt and my girlfriend who has been waiting for 7 years to move in and get married (kind of hard to do with debt, a low paying job, and no degree to change any of it).

Sorry this became so winded, but as you can see, I have regrets in regards to college. Debt and regrets are the last thing I could wish on anyone.

Good luck to you all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts