Personality Cafe banner

101 - 120 of 279 Posts

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Self-typed INJs who think too many people mistype as INJs: @Irondust, @ephemereality, @Kathy Kane, @Look Alive_ Sunshine, @Arclight, @-Alpha-, @FearAndTrembling (the last two did say INJs are more likely to be drawn to MBTI forums, but still expressed the view that a lot of the people who consider themselves INJs are mistyped).

I'm not calling out mistypes here, and I'm not interested in discussing anyone's type on this thread. But if all this mistyping and type marketing really is happening, and too many people are typing themselves as INJs as a result, you'd think the group of people who know about this type marketing, know what type is really about, and presumably are more likely to have themselves typed correctly, would have a lower percentage of INJs than the forum as a whole.
Da fuck?

You are thinking way too hard about this. Nobody takes it this seriously. Which, not surprisingly, is the reason so many are mistyped.

Your argument basically boils down to:

"the deceived, or in this case, the self deceived, will eventually uncover the deception, by some kind of natural law"

People don't actually know themselves. That is the fundamental problem. Or there are social stigmas. For example, when introducing people to MBTI, the biggest thing they have a trouble understanding, is that a thinker does not mean you are smart, or intellectual. When I tell people I am a feeler, they can't understand. As I show little outward emotion, and am intellectual. Many men particularly don't want to admit they use "feelings", because they don't understand what the Jungian definition of feeling is.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
@Abraxas but the reverse also holds true:

a) Why is it hard to believe that an extrovert would hold interest in communicating over the internet?
b) Why is it hard to believe that a sensor would be interested in theory?
c) Why is it hard to believe that a feeler could not choose to explore a personality theory in an analytical way?

These interests are not mutually exclusive to introverts or extroverts, sensors or intuitives or thinkers and feelers.

Okay, fair enough. On extraversion, you got me there.

However, on intuition:

Because intuition is defined as "theoretical" in the Step II facets. It is literally defined as theoretical. Therefore it is more theoretical than sensation, by definition, because sensation is not defined as theoretical.

I don't know why I put "thinker" I meant to put "thinker/feeler", since this thread is also about INFJs. I just wasn't paying attention, sorry.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
in my experience, most of "the internet" (outside of MBTI forums) doesn't involve people wearing MBTI type labels.
It doesn't matter. I was discussing people who already use MBTI labels on the Internet and not whether MBTI is popular online. So I don't see how discussing the latter is appropriate towards determining the online incidence of mistypes, though as you have brought to my attention my points concerning the Internet versus PerC weren't exactly on-topic in this thread.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Self-typed INJs who think too many people mistype as INJs: @Irondust, @ephemereality, @Kathy Kane, @Look Alive_ Sunshine, @Arclight, @-Alpha-, @FearAndTrembling (the last two did say INJs are more likely to be drawn to MBTI forums, but still expressed the view that a lot of the people who consider themselves INJs are mistyped).

I'm not calling out mistypes here, and I'm not interested in discussing anyone's type on this thread. But if all this mistyping and type marketing really is happening, and too many people are typing themselves as INJs as a result, you'd think the group of people who know about this type marketing, know what type is really about, and presumably are more likely to have themselves typed correctly, would have a lower percentage of INJs than the forum as a whole.
At least then properly assess people's opinions too. I have myself suggested that the theory subforums would attract (N)Ts more than they would other types. That's actually in fact extremely easy to prove because you will find that most people who participate in such discussions are Ts.

Also, for your information, I've been quite over the type spectrum before I typed as an INTJ. I typed as an INTP and INFP for about 6 months each before I typed as an INTJ, so no, it has nothing to do with bias. I even seriously considered ESFJ at some point but I realized that's actually unreasonable. I had people point out to me that I seem Ni before I even typed as such or considered the type as plausible or a possibility and INTJ was the type that was, in those occasions, specifically suggested. I am also pretty sure that I would be verified as such by a practitioner especially if of the Jungian sort.

Okay, fair enough. On extraversion, you got me there.

However, on intuition:

Because intuition is defined as "theoretical" in the Step II facets. It is literally defined as theoretical. Therefore it is more theoretical than sensation, by definition, because sensation is not defined as theoretical.

I don't know why I put "thinker" I meant to put "thinker/feeler", since this thread is also about INFJs. I just wasn't paying attention, sorry.
Ok, then I disagree with the definition of Step II since I think abstract thinking is more a result of Thinking than it is Intuition.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I identify more with J than P, but I also score very weakly in this dichotomy. My preference is unclear.

I score very strongly in I and N, only moderately high in T, and almost 50/50 on J/P.

Looking at my functions, my dominant function is introverted intuition. MBTI says that's an INJ, and I score moderately clear in thinking, so I set my type to INTJ.

However, ignoring functions (as I would argue one should when it comes to four-letter-code type) I could just as easily be an INTP. My MBTI type (ignoring functions) is simply INTx.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I'm just going to add a point which occurred to me. The only fairly large (by no means representative) study done to get personality type statistics was in the US, and not even on that many people. Same sizes for studies like these are usually fairly small (and I'm not even from the US, and neither are many of the people using this forum).

So, who's to say INxJs are as uncommon as they're 'supposed' to be? Why are we wasting time arguing about something that doesn't even have any real evidence to back up our points?

If you want to theorise about how likely it is certain types will enter online forums, that's a fairly different conversation.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Now, to the argument that N types can't point out that other people aren't Ns, it makes me wonder who knows better than an N type in determining what N looks like? Do S or F types understand N more than N types? I don't get that line of thinking.
I don't disagree with your point there; however, the original argument wasn't about whether people were claiming to be N when they are really S, it was that too many people are claiming to be an INJ. And who comes barreling in to defend the fact that the internet is choking with so-called INJs? Self-typed INJs.

I'm not arguing that people aren't mistyped. I'm not even arguing that there aren't people out there who wish to disingenuously cash in on a cool sounding type that isn't theirs. Nor am I arguing about the true type of any person who has contributed to this thread. But it is pretty silly when all the people crying foul are themselves part of the problem. And what was the problem again?

"Too many people are typing themselves as INJ."

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
I don't disagree with your point there; however, the original argument wasn't about whether people were claiming to be N when they are really S, it was that too many people are claiming to be an INJ. And who comes barreling in to defend the fact that the internet is choking with so-called INJs? Self-typed INJs.

I'm not arguing that people aren't mistyped. I'm not even arguing that there aren't people out there who wish to disingenuously cash in on a cool sounding type that isn't theirs. Nor am I arguing about the true type of any person who has contributed to this thread. But it is pretty silly when all the people crying foul are themselves part of the problem. And what was the problem again?

I hope you do realize the irony of this post given your own self-typing, right? Also of course, people who identify as INxJ would more likely click on the title since it well, has INxJ in the title. I mean, it worked on you too.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I hope you do realize the irony of this post given your own self-typing, right?
Ballast hasn't complained that there's a problem with too many people typing themselves INJ. Can you explain what's "ironic" about her post, or do you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette school of irony?

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
Ballast hasn't complained that there's a problem with too many people typing themselves INJ. Can you explain what's "ironic" about her post, or do you subscribe to the Alanis Morissette school of irony?
The irony of course, is that Ballast is calling out on the irony of other posters in here, so it ends up essentially doing the same thing except self-directed which becomes ironic because Ballast types as an INTJ. It's a meta form of irony I am not at all surprised you don't get.

Also, Ballast doesn't show any gender so I am not sure why you assume Ballast is a "she".

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The irony of course, is that Ballast is calling out on the irony of other posters in here, so it ends up essentially doing the same thing except self-directed which becomes ironic because Ballast types as an INTJ. It's a meta form of irony I am not at all surprised you don't get.
*sticks an Alanis Morissette Meta-Irony star in the middle of ephemereality's big, brainy forehead*

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
But it is pretty silly when all the people crying foul are themselves part of the problem. And what was the problem again?

I am not certain I understand how that problem's mechanism works unless being an INJ and agreeing with the problem automatically means being mistyped. Threads regarding INJs are going to attract to INJs and that doesn't strike me as awkward or unusual.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am not certain I understand how that problem's mechanism works unless being an INJ and agreeing with the problem automatically means being mistyped. Threads regarding INJs are going to attract to INJs and that doesn't strike me as awkward or unusual.
I don't know how else to explain this...let me think. It's as if there were a group of teenage hipsters sitting in a corner, and they look at all the other teenage hipsters and go "POSERS!" It's just...silly. Pot kettle black?

If I see an obvious mistype, I'll redirect them if I can. I'll educate them. I'll explain why I think ISTP or INFJ or whatever would be a better fit. I'm here to learn about typology to the best extent that I can because all types are fascinating. I don't think one type is better than another. I don't think there's anything repugnant about, gasp, being wrong about your type initially. The whole point is to find the best fit and sometimes we have to try on a few different types before we find the right one. This whole superiority thing about the real INJs versus those fakey fake mistypes is childish. There is no reason to feel less validated about one's own type because people are wrong on the internet.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
I don't know how else to explain this...let me think. It's as if there were a group of teenage hipsters sitting in a corner, and they look at all the other teenage hipsters and go "POSERS!" It's just...silly. Pot kettle black?

If I see an obvious mistype, I'll redirect them if I can. I'll educate them. I'll explain why I think ISTP or INFJ or whatever would be a better fit. I'm here to learn about typology to the best extent that I can because all types are fascinating. I don't think one type is better than another. I don't think there's anything repugnant about, gasp, being wrong about your type initially. The whole point is to find the best fit and sometimes we have to try on a few different types before we find the right one. This whole superiority thing about the real INJs versus those fakey fake mistypes is childish. There is no reason to feel less validated about one's own type because people are wrong on the internet.
From what I understand though, Irondust isn't necessarily complaining about people who do it on this site as much as people are on say, Tumblr who do it for very insincere reasons which is not because they are seeking self-awareness and self-actualization as much as they do it because they want to be special snowflakes. You can't deny that there is such an aspect to typology.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

The title and OP created a self-fulfilling prophecy. By calling on INxJs the behavior of INxJs was then correlated with the initial comment, which is a fallacy. The fact that INxJs responded does not prove the original comment.

If the thread was title more generally, such as "there are too many people who have a declared type," well then every person with a type label would then fulfill the prophecy of the original statement.

In order to prove otherwise only non____ could respond. In reality, neither response proves the statement true. "Too many" is relative.

·
Registered
924 Posts
From what I understand though, Irondust isn't necessarily complaining about people who do it on this site as much as people are on say, Tumblr who do it for very insincere reasons which is not because they are seeking self-awareness and self-actualization as much as they do it because they want to be special snowflakes. You can't deny that there is such an aspect to typology.
No, of course there is, there are always going to be posers and people who just...well, they're teenagers. They're just looking for ways to identify themselves and make themselves feel special. I remember having my own phase of fuck the system and wanting to be different, wanting to identify myself as anything other than what the sheeple were buying into. But that's just a phase and they'll grow out of it too.

What I'm saying is, we're adults. What kids say on the internet doesn't matter. It doesn't reflect real typology, real psychology, and real self-awareness, which is what we're here for.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
No, of course there is, there are always going to be posers and people who just...well, they're teenagers. They're just looking for ways to identify themselves and make themselves feel special. I remember having my own phase of fuck the system and wanting to be different, wanting to identify myself as anything other than what the sheeple were buying into. But that's just a phase and they'll grow out of it too.

What I'm saying is, we're adults. What kids say on the internet doesn't matter. It doesn't reflect real typology, real psychology, and real self-awareness, which is what we're here for.
I mostly agree with you on your points above, though I participated in this discussion not because I wanted to vaunt myself a real INTJ but because I wanted to learn more about the mistyping phenomenon through some discussion and debate. I suppose various people here are participating for various reasons — I'm not interested in discerning each person's motivations and judging them accordingly — but I do believe that mistyping is real and palpable aspect to typology not necessarily unworthy of discussion.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I mostly agree with you on your points above, though I participated in this discussion not because I wanted to vaunt myself a real INTJ but because I wanted to learn more about the mistyping phenomenon through some discussion and debate. I suppose various people here are participating for various reasons — I'm not interested in discerning each person's motivations and judging them accordingly — but I do believe that mistyping is real and palpable aspect to typology not necessarily unworthy of discussion.
I didn't mean to imply in my original comment that mistyping never occurs or that it isn't a worthy topic of discussion--I was commenting more on the smug superiority that "real" INJs on the internet have about who is worthy of being typed an INJ. In my opinion, it's not a matter of "worthiness," it is a matter of personality dimension preferences.

101 - 120 of 279 Posts