Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow INFJs, this is my first post, and as much as I'd like to jump start into the more profound stuff for you brainys, I thought I'd just begin with a simple and light query :)
I understand that as intuitive we tend to have seemingly endless thoughts, particularly deep and meaningful stuff that constantly swims in out minds, but how does the majority of us keep up with all our thoughts, never mind being able to make sense of it all? As introverts we also tends to hold most of the important thoughts to ourselves since they are rarely talked about amongst the general public.
For me personally, I try to find as much personal thinking time as possible, and when there's something worthy I like to it write down in one of the many notebooks I have, which I like update in a constant basis, and which I'm almost embarrassed to let anyone find out about this little hobby of mine :/
Just wondering if anyone does this and feels the same way also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also love to write that type of stuff down! A huge hobby for me is creative writing - I love coming up with stories. So often times, when I'm feeling particularly willing to get insightful or think about complex emotions, I sort of relieve myself of it by applying it to situations in the stories. That way, other people can see what I'm talking about easier :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know this problem. I tend to think big, if possible in branches (non-linear) and will get easily overloaded. I then either get easily distracted, because I can't focus on one idea or thought. Or I think too focused, getting lost in detail, having trouble to stay focused on the important parts.

Because I think so broadly I have to write so much, and about things that may not be connected. So, I just describe in bulletpoints what the idea/thought is about. I will then remember what the idea is about when I read the "key words", because my thoughts and ideas are usually "stored" as pictures or stories in my head, resulting in strong connections between the key words and the pictures.

That's also the reason why I normally can't *tell* stories mouth-to-ear. I get so overloaded, it's hard keep up my talking pace with my thought process, and I begin to stutter. I just want to tell too much too fast.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Depends, in conversation for example I am capable of recalling words spoken 3-6 months after the fact making it easier to either dust off conversations or remind others about something they had forgotten (with good intentions of support of course), although it is not uncommon for me incorporate ideas or things learned into poetry or my latest intellectual fascination. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I often get a sudden flash of insight into something and feel an urge to write it down immediately. ...Unfortunately, most of the time, when this happens, I'm not in a position where I can easily go and write it down, and by the time I am in such a position, the driving urge to write about it is gone. It's pretty annoying. I've even occasionally gotten up in the middle of the night just to make sure I write something down while it's still in my head. I have a pretty large connection of disconnected thoughts from the times when I have been able to write them down, and I've found it pretty satisfying when I've done so. Anyone would think I'm completely insane if they could ever read them, though. Well, I probably am. Either way, pretty sure this is normal INFJ behaviour.

I also agree with Recom that the use of bullet points is sometimes necessary, for when really large-scale ideas come into my head without warning and it would simply take too long to write the whole thing down in unabbreviated form.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Foxcrest: what a lovely way to use your thoughts. I see the benefits of applying our thoughts and ideas, which are in a way life philosophies in themselves, to our creative ventures. I work in a creative field too so I see the value in this application :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recom: I know EXACTLY what you mean by overloading with thoughts! Most of the time I have so many things running through my head, which I can also see from multiple angles, that it takes a long time for me to process, leaving me seeming scatterbrained, less organized or just plain slow. But we know that these aren't the truth ;) and this is why I absolutely abhor to our current society fast pace lifestyle and the need to look 'smart' by acting fast. I think you're heading the right direction though by using the key word technique, I did that it helps too as it makes you focus on the major reasons behind things which you can then think off them in branches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha funny how reading your response is like seeing myself from afar! I cannot recall how many nights or moments that I've been doing this myself, but it's been almost a decade since high school when I first started jotting down notes myself, and you're right about feeling satisfied after doing so, which I feel is similar to safekeeping little treasures that you've been on the look out for hehe.
Do you think the amount of notes or thought will eventually decrease though as you age and gain more life experience? Or will life and the universe forever mystify us in search of more and more things?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts