Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a look through it.
https://www.psychologyjunkie.com/2015/12/01/mbti-movie-madness-the-top-25-infj-picks-for-best-entertainment/

It's crazy how many of these movies I love and would consider favourites. Like 19 out of the 25 (Some I just haven't watched yet).

I didn't really love Inception, though. (Not that I didn't like it, I love the whole concept but I thought it didn't go crazy enough with the dreams, honestly. There's so many experimental things you could do with that kinda concept.
I think I liked a similar film "Paprika" more. I think the vivid animation helps give a more fantasy quality. Well that, and I love Satoshi Kon films.)

Do you love these movies too? Did it miss some? I would've mentioned films like Requiem for a Dream, Pan's Labyrinth, Frank, Persepolis, Clockwork Orange, Brazil, Seven Samurai, etc etc. But yeah, these are really great to me.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I have absolutely no idea why Dune or Legend didn't make the list. :shocked:

Can throw in some other amazing films and this is only scratching the surface.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, I think I've seen Legend before a long time ago because I remember seeing that red demon with the huge horns on TV. I never knew what the film was called, thanks! Gotta watch it again.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
I'm actually trying to compare it...

The Top 25 Favorite INFJ Movies

1. Amélie - Don't like it: 3/10
2. The Lord of the Rings Series: Only liked the third one, though a rewatch might do wonders. Those movies are so epic that they need to be watched a lot before you like them, and i find the stories be very chaotic and immersive and it demands a lot to process them all. 13/30 = 4,33/10
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I need to rewatch it. It's not one of my favourites, but apparently i've still rated it with 7/10
4. Fight Club - Great movie that everyone needs to watch (though still a movie thay you need to pay attention to): 9/10
5. V for Vendetta - Overhyped and one of the worst movies i've ever seen: 1/10
6. The Original Star Wars Trilogy: Great trilogy that I enjoyed. Felt more balanced and easier to process than LOTR: I've rated all the three movies: 8/10
7. The Shawshank Redemption: Great classic but still overhyped: 8/10
8. Forrest Gump: Overhyped. I've still rated it quite high: 7/10
9. Donnie Darko: Not that good, story makes no sense: 6/10
10. Inception: Really terrible movie, didn't like the designs: 2/10
Didnt saw 11 The Princess Bride
12. The Matrix: Great action classic movie: 8/10
13. The Notebook: Great but basic romantic movie: 8/10
14. Spirited Away: Good animé movie: 7/10
15. American Beauty: Finally a real favourite of mine: 10/10
16. The Lion King: Good movie, nostalgic but one of the best animation movies ever made: 9/10
17. The Green Mile: Oversentimental and more targetted towards religious people, not my cup of tea: 3/10
Haven't seen 18 Lost in Translation (but i guess i might like it and might happen soon)
19. Harry Potter series: Liked the first three, didn't like the other ones that much. 47/80 = 5,75/10
Haven't Seen The Fountain
21. Gladiator: quite bad, also too epic for my taste and terrible CGI / visual effects: 5/10
Haven't seen Good Will Hunting (though that might happen quite soon)
23. The Dark Knight - overhyped of course. It's not bad, but i've seen better movies, great acting performance though from Heath Ledger - 7/10
24. Titanic - Wonderful movie, might be the movie i liked the most after American Beauty in this list - 9/10
25. The Shining - Great horror classic - 9/10

136.08 / 210 = 64.08 / 100

The end balance:

Top 25 favourite INFP movies

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 7/10
2. Amelie: 3/10
3. Into The Wild: haven't seen it (have seen parts of it though, didn't like it)
4. The Lord of the Rings Series: 4,33/10
5. Fight Club: 9/10
6. Donnie Darko: 6/10
7. Inception: 2/10
8. Howl's Moving Castle: haven't seen it (but omg finally a real recommendation)
9. Star Wars: 8/10
10. American Beauty: 10/10
11. Groundhog Day: Haven't seen it
12. Stardust: Haven't seen it
13. Harry Potter series: 5,75/10
14. The Elephant Men: Haven't seen it
15. Spirited Away: 7/10
16. Romeo and Juliet: Haven't seen it
17. The Princess Bride: Haven't seen it
18. (500) Days of Summer: 8/10
19. Garden State: Haven't seen it
20. The Butterfly Effect: 7/10
21. Moulin Rouge: Haven't seen it
22. Edward Scissorhands: Haven't seen it
23. Goodfella's: 7/10
24. Breakfast at Tiffany's: Haven't seen it
25. Brazil: Haven't seen it

Total: 84.08/130 = 64.68 / 100

I have seen 721 movies so far and my average rating is: 60.80/100 (something like that). Those recommendations are in general not accurate, terrible and especially for INFP's way too safe. They also don't make sense. Why would INFP's love Goodfella's. Why? It feels like a random list to me, combined with a few movies that are known for being INFP'ish like Amélie, Howl's Moving Castle and maybe Moulin Rouge, Garden State and for INFP boys: 500 Days of Summer. I don't think the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter movies and Star Wars movie are good recommendations since almost anyone will like them and even more will already have seen them. Also, why didn't Pan's Labyrinth made the top INFP list. Like for real, it's so random. Who the fuck designed that list?

The INFJ list is so random, and is just a selection of random movies out of the IMDb top 250. it's a terrible recommendation movie list.

Of course, people will like the movies they've watched. Everyone who sometimes watches a movie loves them. That's the whole point of it. Why would INFJ's love them more than other types.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I freaking hate epic anything lol. Harry Potter, lotr, though I have watched them with old friends. And I still remember some things like spells and the bus in the beginning. And i do research the different worlds or the ones I'm into. I have not been able to finish Star Wars nor Planet of the Apes.
I'm more interested in something intimate and while I have not watched it, I am attracted to Good Will Hunting and Lost in Translation on that list, the latter I've been planning to watch for a while. A Beautiful Mind also sounds good.
Oddly enough I actually watch Italian slasher called giallo more often because of the beautiful scenery etc as well as other horror, I think the Shining was mentioned there. It's a double edged sword with where you gotta go through the bad stuff to see the good stuff. I find for example The Shining has more stuff as you think about it--I recently started to remember the quote about the word shining actually. It is referring to a telepathic ability.
Also love Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

In that sense I do well with dramas or family dramas. I just do not seek them out much. I just fall into them like on TV or YouTube has a lot of free movies. Generally good eye candy will be what draws me in.

I have been thinking of watching Paprika too just cos I love the title.

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
If i had to design an INFP list, it would be something like this (not in order):

1. Amelie
2. Castaway on the Moon
3. Edward's Scissor Hands
4. Big Fish
5. Blue Velvet (or Mulholland Dr. but i haven't seen that one)
6. Pan's Labyrinth
7. Moulin Rouge (2001) (probably)
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. Spirited Away
10. Grave of the Fireflies
11. Hachi: A Dog's Tale
12. Her
13. (500) Days of Summer
14. Lost in Translation
15. Before Trilogy
16. Paris, Texas
17. Into The Wild
18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
19. Garden State (probably)
20. Lord of the Rings trilogy (though it's so obvious that this is a given, and i would only use it for INFP's)
21. Sideways
22. A Clockwork Orange
23. Interstellar
24. Badlands
25. Captain Fantastic

And... Brazil maybe too, but i haven't seen that one, and i have no idea what it went about.

Something like this (and yes i used indeed some movies of the other list... but especially the INFJ list was SO BAD, lol).

Reactions: fresh

·
Registered
9,814 Posts
I freaking hate epic anything lol. Harry Potter, lotr, though I have watched them with old friends. And I still remember some things like spells and the bus in the beginning. And i do research the different worlds or the ones I'm into. I have not been able to finish Star Wars nor Planet of the Apes.
I'm more interested in something intimate and while I have not watched it, I am attracted to Good Will Hunting and Lost in Translation on that list, the latter I've been planning to watch for a while. A Beautiful Mind also sounds good.
Oddly enough I actually watch Italian slasher called giallo more often because of the beautiful scenery etc as well as other horror, I think the Shining was mentioned there. It's a double edged sword with where you gotta go through the bad stuff to see the good stuff. I find for example The Shining has more stuff as you think about it--I recently started to remember the quote about the word shining actually. It is referring to a telepathic ability.
Also love Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

In that sense I do well with dramas or family dramas. I just do not seek them out much. I just fall into them like on TV or YouTube has a lot of free movies. Generally good eye candy will be what draws me in.

I have been thinking of watching Paprika too just cos I love the title.
Well... you might like my top 200

top 200 movies - IMDb

my favourite one is an Italian horror movie ;)

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen 721 movies so far and my average rating is: 60.80/100 (something like that). Those recommendations are in general not accurate, terrible and especially for INFP's way too safe. They also don't make sense. Why would INFP's love Goodfella's. Why? It feels like a random list to me, combined with a few movies that are known for being INFP'ish like Amélie, Howl's Moving Castle and maybe Moulin Rouge, Garden State and for INFP boys: 500 Days of Summer. I don't think the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter movies and Star Wars movie are good recommendations since almost anyone will like them and even more will already have seen them. Also, why didn't Pan's Labyrinth made the top INFP list. Like for real, it's so random. Who the fuck designed that list?

The INFJ list is so random, and is just a selection of random movies out of the IMDb top 250. it's a terrible recommendation movie list.

Of course, people will like the movies they've watched. Everyone who sometimes watches a movie loves them. That's the whole point of it. Why would INFJ's love them more than other types.
Random? Not really. Simplistic, I could agree. It does give its basic reasoning behind each choice, whether one agrees or not.
If it had no reasoning behind it then it would've been random. Such lists are subjective anyway and 25 too limited a number. There are other films I connect with deeply.

I don't think the intention was about which type loves which movie more.
Any type could love any number of these movies. But it is true that out of the hundreds of movies I've seen, I don't think I would ever pass up the chance to watch most of these movies in particular. A lot are my favourites.
Amelie, V for Vendetta, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Shawshank, LOTR, Forrest Gump, Spirited Away, Green Mile, Original Star Wars, Lion King, Lost in Translation, The Shining, Matrix, Eternal Sunshine. All excellent. I'd give em 10/10 (even though such ratings are a little arbitrary.)

Since you made an INFP list, maybe you should make a list for INFJs if you think the list was bad or random.

Reactions: Likeagoat

·
Banned
3,318 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
A good list. I like most of them. But I think most are just good movies anyway that most people would enjoy.

Of the INFP list I enjoyed:

Groundhog Day - One of my all time favourite comedies.
(500) Days of Summer.
Goodfella's - It's Goodfellas!
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Only really watched it to cross it off my list, but actually found myself really enjoying it.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
I enjoy pretty much all of those movies listed, but American Beauty would have to be my favorite. I think The Fountain is the most INFJ film on the list, followed by Fight Club, The Shining, V for Vendetta, and Donnie Darko.

The character of Amelie is a quintessential INFJ, and the movie gets into the INFJ perspective in a way few other movies can.
Is she now?

·
Banned
232 Posts
*Questions her type for the first time ever* (I haven't - not even that one time I got INFP) I don't love drama, I feel like life is dramatic enough! Epics - NO, Psycho Thrillers - Maybe when I was younger, Family - NERP, Romance -Finally, yes but not The Notebook, not even once. If I want to have a feeling I can leave the house - movies are for entertainment, dammit. How is comedy not on the list?!

For people (like me) who liked Amelie, try Le Placard, Tais Toi and Nothing to Declare

·
Registered
INFJ
5,807 Posts
Ooooh! Donnie Darko...loved that Movie!
I liked the Princess Bride, The Dark Night, The Shining...
I did not like Titanic.
Inception was okay. It was visually compelling, and I like movies with good tension build up, but the plot was pretty confusing
I liked the original Star Wars trilogy. Anything beyond that is meh, to me.

Hmmm, my favorite movies in addition to these are:

(500)Days of Summer
Little Women (such a cozy film to watch hmmmm)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Fargo
Pleasantville
Big Fish
Amadeus
Girl Interrupted
Seven
The Shawshank Redemption

Reactions: Hexigoon

·
SAY MY NAME
8,470 Posts
Some of these are quite good, but there is a disturbing lack of gangster movies on that list

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of these are quite good, but there is a disturbing lack of gangster movies on that list
I quite like gangster films too (or the crime genre in general). I don't know why specifically but I was very interested in the mafia and The Godfather series when I was younger. Any particular ones you like?

·
SAY MY NAME
8,470 Posts
I quite like gangster films too (or the crime genre in general). I don't know why specifically but I was very interested in the mafia and The Godfather series when I was younger. Any particular ones you like?
In order:

Cidade de Deus, Goodfellas, Godfather, Godfather II, Menace II Society, Scarface, Shottas, Boyz N The Hood, Tsotsi, Juice.

There's many great movies in the genre that I am yet to see, but I would be truly astonished if there is anything out there as good as the top six. Of my ten, seven are American, with one each from Brazil, Jamaica and South Africa. I understand Hong Kong's film industry does gangster movies really well, but I am yet to have seen anything originating from there.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Amazing! I have all those films on my PC and most are my go to films
With exception, I cannot watch any film with Tom Hanks. I think he killed it for me when I got really pissed off with his voice in “Toy Story 1+ 2 + 3” then every animated film for the next 5 years. I find him a boring actor, he plays the same character in every film
You missed:
Blade (films)
Underworld (films)
Rurouni Kenshin (films)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
kill bill trilogy
Terminator
The hobbit
Constantine
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
I, Daniel Blake
The Girl On The Train
The girl who played with fire trilogy, not the US version
Gone girl
Dream catcher
Lucy
Maleficent
Mama
Riddick
Side effects
Inside out
The Lovely Bones
Shutter Island

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I'm surprised there were no M. Night Shymalan movies on the list. Isn't he thought to be an INFJ himself? My favorites of his include Lady in the Water (this was advertised as a Horror movie but it's not at all, in my opinion), Unbreakable (still waiting for the sequel! lol) and The Village. Other ones INFJ's might like: Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, K-Pax, Her. It would be fun to make a list of TV series for each type too. Anyways, out of the ones listed, here were my thoughts:

-I watched Amelie but it wasn't my favorite. I can see why other people like it though. Just personal taste.

-I personally liked The Hobbit movies more than The Lord of the Rings but both are worth the watch.

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I enjoyed it. I could see all NF types enjoying it. I figured my INFP brother would like it and he did. It's fun to put the puzzle pieces together when you watch it a second time.

-Fight Club - yes, I loved it.

-V for Vendetta - One of my favorites too.

-Star Wars - I enjoy it but not because of the whole good vs. evil thing. Is the "dark side" really evil? I don't think so. These are just made up terms.

-Love Forrest Gump.

-Inception - I liked the concept but I think there was too much action in that movie for my taste.

-The Princess Bride - I love it even though it's corny at times. It's one of my faves.

-The Matrix - Love it.

-The Notebook - I think it's overrated.

-Spirited Away - I wouldn't have chosen it as my favorite among animes but that's just personal taste.

-American Beauty - one of my favorites.

-The Lion King - yep.

-Wasn't much of a fan of The Harry Potter series. I think they're overrated.

-The Fountain was confusing lol (similar to Eternal Sunshine) but it was very artistic and interesting. I had to look up an explanation for it afterwards.

-I liked Gladiator a lot.

-The Dark Knight - yes, loved it.

-Titanic - yes, I love it.

-Requiem for a Dream was so depressing! lol But it was interesting and thought provoking so I liked it. My INFP brother likes it too and was the one who recommended it to me.

-Pan's Labyrinth - I saw that awhile ago but from what I can remember it was interesting - both visually and story line. I haven't seen the others you mentioned on your list.

Haven't seens:

-Donnie Dark but I've been wanting to for awhile now.
-Good Will Hunting - Haven't watched the whole thing. I fell asleep.
-Green Mile.
-Lost in Translation
-The Shining

1 - 20 of 32 Posts