Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see how many of my fellow INFP's felt the same as I in regard to favorite and/or least favorite qualities.

Mine are as follows. I have many, so I limited myself to three to make it less to read. You may, of course, post more or less at your discretion - I do not wish to appear as though I'm telling you what to do (a quality that I would surmise is due to my INFP'ness)! :mellow:

Valued qualities:
1. Compassion
2. Open-mindedness
3. Understanding

Qualities I do not find particularly important (in my personal life, anyway):
1. Simplicity
2. Insensitivity
3. Arrogance

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
This is what I came up w/immediately. I have to fill in the rest after I crank the wheels in my brain harder.

Valued qualities:
1. Intelligence
2. Humor

Not valued:
1. Abusive to animals, 'specially DOGS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Despised qualities:
1. Gossiping
2. Arrogance
3. Unwillingness to accept me for who I am
I really like #3. I've read that INFP's often feel misunderstood and outcasted in general society, which may have something to do with the fact that there are less of us than other types.

You don't have to answer, but I was wondering what qualities you have that some people may not readily accept? Mine would be my quirkiness, the fact that I am naive, optimism, and the fact that I am emotional.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Valued qualities:
1. Loyalty
2. Empathy
3. Affection

Don't like~
1. Rude -- Unappreciative
2. Apathetic -- Unmotivated / Uninspired -- no passion for anything.
3. Spiteful -- too many people hate the world, whine about it, but never -do- anything.

Reactions: yay4tcu

·
Registered
391 Posts
I really like #3. I've read that INFP's often feel misunderstood and outcasted in general society, which may have something to do with the fact that there are less of us than other types.

You don't have to answer, but I was wondering what qualities you have that some people may not readily accept? Mine would be my quirkiness, the fact that I am naive, optimism, and the fact that I am emotional.
I am somewhat naive also. And optimistic, and emotional.

Really, I don't know what it is about me that people don't like. I have very intense feelings, which I have learned (the hard way) to keep to myself. It scares people. And, yet, I have to trust to a certain extent, or people just think I'm cold, and then they don't want to be around me. I haven't found a good balance yet, preferring to come across as being cold and uncaring, because I don't trust enough to share the emotions which are a major part of me.

People don't accept that I'm shy and that I'm an introvert. Yesterday, I was invited to go to an all-day thing with a big group of women from church, but I didn't go. I knew I would never make it through the day. Today, when I saw some of the people who went, they seemed to feel (though I didn't ask, so maybe my perception is off) that I just don't like them or something.

People don't accept that when I'm alone, staring off into space, I am not being depressed. I'm simply lost in deep thought.

People tend to avoid me, and I'm not really sure why. I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Really, I don't know what it is about me that people don't like. I have very intense feelings, which I have learned (the hard way) to keep to myself. It scares people. And, yet, I have to trust to a certain extent, or people just think I'm cold, and then they don't want to be around me. I haven't found a good balance yet, preferring to come across as being cold and uncaring, because I don't trust enough to share the emotions which are a major part of me.

People don't accept that I'm shy and that I'm an introvert. Yesterday, I was invited to go to an all-day thing with a big group of women from church, but I didn't go. I knew I would never make it through the day. Today, when I saw some of the people who went, they seemed to feel (though I didn't ask, so maybe my perception is off) that I just don't like them or something.

People don't accept that when I'm alone, staring off into space, I am not being depressed. I'm simply lost in deep thought.

Well, for what it's worth, I DO accept you for who you are and all that that entails (even though I don't know you well at all). It can be difficult to be an INFP in our society, because I feel as though the world would rather have Extroverts and Thinkers and Judgers. It seems that the majority of society values rationality and logic and devalues many of an INFP's qualities.

I think you put what I often feel into words so beautifully. Reading your post, I feel very connected to you and your emotions, maybe because I have felt all those things as well.

Thank you so much for sharing some of yourself with me even though we are strangers; that really means a lot to me!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Valued qualities:
1. Compassion and caring
2. Open-mindedness
3. Optimism
4. Passion

Qualities I do not enjoy
1. Selfishness
2. Close-mindedness
3. Trivialness (is that a word?)
4. ehh I can't think of the word I want... but basically anyone that believes one person is above another in any way.

I'm not too smart right now :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4. ehh I can't think of the word I want... but basically anyone that believes one person is above another in any way.
I'm thinking maybe you're speaking of someone who believes that they are superior to others? Just a guess. I also feel the same way! It makes me very angry when people put themselves on a pedestal above others.

·
Registered
104 Posts

I'd say those are all admirable qualities and I think life would suck without them... but maybe thats because mine are the same for the most part. Though, I've actually found that many people find those very things refreshing, rather than hard to accept. And I get compliments on my "uniqueness, free spiritedness, and rosey outlook" from literally ALL types!

Be your happy quirky self and people will love you... if they don't, then they're boring and close-minded and you don't want em!

Oh going back to your question though, I do know some get a lil impatient with my scatterbrain and my indecisiveness. :shocked:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes.
1. Loving
2. Adventurous
3. Efficient (This is probably odd for an INFP, but I really value efficiency in most walks of life. Leaves more time for adventures.)

No.
1. Pretentious
2. Ignorant
3. Cruel

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Just glancing over all the dislikes, looks like everyone would hate me except Sily :D

Kidding of course......

partly

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
717 Posts
Value
1. Effort (if someone is trying, it means a lot to me)
2. Honesty (I might be somewhat lacking in this though :frustrating:)
3. Consideration (ex. considering different points of views, sources of information, ways an action will affect people...)

Dislikes
1. Nonconstructive Criticism or Personal Attacks (criticism should be objective)
2. Expectations (the feeling of being boxed in or watching something / someone else be boxed in)
3. Hypocrisy (though I am the biggest hypocrite: one who dislikes hypocrisy :frustrating: - haha - :laughing:)

·
Registered
104 Posts

I agree that the shy introvert part thing sucks sometimes. But try to remember that a lot of it is just in our heads because we can be so sensitive and second guessing ourselves that we worry we come off awkward or that someone won't like us, when in reality its pretty likely most hardly notice or even give it a second thought. I mean do you think you are the only shy person on the planet? And I hate to be a sell out, but I've gotten pretty good at faking being an Extrovert. It can definitely be draining at times, but unfortunately for us extroverted qualities are of course beneficial in a lot of ways. Eww sorry Im really sounding preachy, but in my case the more I've "acted" extraverted the more comfortable with it I have become and the more balanced I feel. And then you still have your introverted qualities in there too when you want them :wink:

I also get the "are you okay" or "are you mad" when I do the staring off into space thing, from people who don't know me well... and that one I can't do anything about, nor do I really care to.

Umm sorry I don't know if that was even worth anything, I've been rambling again! :shocked:
Hope it helps :)

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts

you stole my thoughts!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Valued
Uno: Empathy.
Dos: Willingness to help.
Tres: Being able to see through the norm.

Not so Valued.
1. Acting based on uncontrolled emotion.
2. Shyness.
3. Not standing enough for myself.

I guess that's it .-.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts